Special thanks is a a common phenomenon when people not directly involved making the film, video game etc. are listed. These are most often found at the end of Closing Credits
People who get special thanks are usually:
- Friends of the makers of the work
- Family members of the makers of the work
- And their production babies
- Executives from the network
- Experts who were consulted while doing the research
- And especially you!
Friends and family members often get special thanks because the creators of the work genuinely want to acknowledge their contribution to project morale, practical advice... ...or because they cooked the staff a particularly memorable meal during production. Executives may receive special thanks because the creators felt it was necessary to their careers, because it's really the network's pet project or because the executives were helpful in securing funding for the creator's
pet project. Experts often appreciate acknowledgement for their advice in the same way as an actor or makeup assistant appreciates acknowledgement of their roles.
Occasionally, special thanks may be given to random things, which might not even be people. At that point, it's safe to assume the creators are going for a Creative Closing Credits
and are not being entirely serious
Also see In Memoriam
- In F1 Racing, there has been a special thanks box on the editor's column page every month. Many of those featured in the box are press officers and senior team members who help the magazine get interviews but otherwise wouldn't be credited. Other thanks have gone to Kate Middleton, a local theatre, various artists... ...and Steve McQueen's watch. Occasionally, there is a "No Thanks" section at the end, which was most recently (as of August 2011) given to the office café oven.
- The apron for Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball has this just below the drain:
With special thanks to: Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, Robert Mc Kimson
, Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, Mel Blanc, and all of the Warner Bros. animators who have brought so much happiness and laughter to the world throughout the years.
- In Starcraft, at the end of the regular credits are credits listing everything imaginable: things they ate, their family members, their pets, bands that made records they listened to...