Special thanks is a a common phenomenon when people not directly involved making the film, video game etc. are listed. These are most often found at the end of Closing Credits. People who get special thanks are usually:
- Friends of the makers of the work
- Family members of the makers of the work
- And their production babies
- Executives from the network
- Experts who were consulted while doing the research
- And especially you!
- Gravity; a few notable names on the Special Thanks roster were fellow directors, James Cameron, David Fincher and Guillermo del Toro.
- In F1 Racing, there has been a special thanks box on the editor's column page every month. Many of those featured in the box are press officers and senior team members who help the magazine get interviews but otherwise wouldn't be credited. Other thanks have gone to Kate Middleton, a local theatre, various artists... ...and Steve McQueen's watch. Occasionally, there is a "No Thanks" section at the end, which was most recently (as of August 2011) given to the office café oven.
- The apron for Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball has this just below the drain:
- In Starcraft, at the end of the regular credits are credits listing everything imaginable: things they ate, their family members, their pets, bands that made records they listened to...