William Michael Albert Broad, better known as Billy Idol, is a rock musician who, after splitting with his old band, Generation X, went solo and thus became one of the most iconic figures of the 1980s. He is most famous for the songs "White Wedding", "Rebel Yell" and "Dancing With Myself", which are radio staples to this day.
Idol has released a total of six studio albums, one EP, a Christmas album, and several compilation albums. He faded away in the early 1990s after the disastrous release
, popping up again in a memorable cameo in The Wedding Singer
. He continues to tour to this day with guitarist and longtime collaborator Steve Stevens.
Billy Idol contains examples of the following tropes:
- Badass Grandpa / Cool Old Guy: Fills arenas even at 58.
- Breakup Breakout: Man, did he ever.
- The Dead Can Dance: The video for "Dancing With Myself."
- Gratuitous French: Subverted with the song "Eyes without a Face". the French words in their are a references to the film the song is based on.
- Greatest Hits Album: Vital Idol (which is a Greatest Hits Remixed album), Idol Songs, Greatest Hits and The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself.
- Intercourse with You: "Rebel Yell".
- It Won't Turn Off: The video for "Cradle Of Love", where the man who lets the girl next door play her song and goes crazy in his apartment tries to turn off the music, even by pulling the plug on the stereo.
- Metal Scream "WITH A REBEL YELL SHE CRIES MORE, MORE, MORE... OWWWW!!!"
- Money Song: "Mony Mony" (which is a cover...)
- New Sound Album: Cyberpunk was recorded with an Apple computer and was his first (and last) attempt at a Concept Album.
- Older Than They Look: He's 58, but still looks 40-something.
- Performance Video: "Rebel Yell."
- Pop Punk: More inclined towards New Wave, but still.
- Scary Musician, Harmless Music
- Self-Titled Album: His debut in 1982.
- Shotgun Wedding: "White Wedding." (and people still play in weddings, based on the title alone)
- Something Something Leonard Bernstein: Just what the hell are those backup singers saying during "Mony Mony"?
- Audience Participation Song: They're actually yelling "HEY MOTHERFUCKER GET LAID GET FUCKED". The song is a live performance, after all.
- Stage Names: Real name William Broad. He apparently chose it because his teachers described him as idle...
- Subdued Section: Inverted in "Eyes without a Face".
- Verbal Tic: "OWW!"
- Zombie Apocalypse: The "Dancing With Myself" video again.