Music / Miley Cyrus
You should see her now.
I came in like a Wrecking Ball...
Miley Ray Cyrus (born Destiny Hope Cyrus on November 23, 1992) is a Teen Idol
, best known as the star of the Disney Channel Kid Com Hannah Montana
and successful singing career. (2001-present) She is also the daughter of country musician Billy Ray Cyrus.
As the star of Hannah Montana
, Disney built an entire franchise around her
with great results, propelling her to the top of the Teen Idol
heap and making her loved by many, many thousands of girls across the globe. Along with the show, she also performed as Hannah Montana and soon after embarked on her own solo music and acting career without the Hannah persona. Took a Hotter and Sexier
turn in 2013, and this has gotten loads of press coverage. Cyrus has sold an estimated twenty million albums worldwide to date.
As of the beginning of 2011, she is officially back on Twitter
She got engaged to Liam Hemsworth
in May 2012, after three years of dating, but they broke it off in 2013.
In 2015 she came out as queer and genderfluid (although she did not initially explicitly say this, she said she has a lack of gender identity)
, following an interview with Out
Magazine where she said ďI didnít want to be a boy, I kind of wanted to be nothing. I donít relate to what people would say defines a girl or a boy, and I think thatís what I had to understand: Being a girl isnít what I hate, itís the box that I get put into".
Following the publication of this interview, she posted a picture on her Instagram, saying "NOTHING can/will define me! Free to be EVERYTHING!!!" In June 2015 she officially came out
, saying she'd known she was attracted to girls since the age of 14 and that she was "down with any adult — anyone over the age of 18 who is down to love me. I don't relate to being boy or girl, and I don't have to have my partner relate to boy or girl."
After dedicating herself to music for a few years, she was announced to star in the upcoming Woody Allen
television series for Amazon
with Elaine May and Allen himself.
In 2016, it was announced that she would become a panelist on The Voice
Discography:As Hannah Montana
- Hannah Montana (2006)
- Hannah Montana 2 (2007)
- Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert [live album] (2008)
- Hannah Montana: The Movie (2009)
- Hannah Montana 3 (2009)
- Hannah Montana Forever (2010)
- Meet Miley Cyrus (2007)
- Breakout (2008)
- The Time Of Our Lives [EP] (2009)
- Can't Be Tamed (2010)
- Bangerz (2013)
- Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz (2015)
- Best Of Both Worlds Tour (2007-2008)
- Wonder World Tour (2009)
- Gypsy Heart Tour (2011)
- Bangerz tour (2014)
Tropes she exhibits:
- A-Cup Angst: According to some sources, Miley has expressed annoyance at her figure being compared to a boy's.
- Adorkable: She often displays this side of her (alongside her Genki Girl tendencies) in interviews and in her YouTube and social media videos (The Miley And Mandy Show was often fueled by these), and especially as Miley Stewart in Hannah Montana.
- Ambiguous Situation: Invoked in "Who Owns My Heart". Miley is having a strong emotional reaction, but she doesn't know if it's caused by The Power of Love or by Awesome Music.
- Anti-Love Song: "Can't Be Tamed" in the way "Oops I Did It Again" was.
- Anti-Role Model: Nominated as the worst role model of the year two years in row.
- She conversely is very involved in charities and causes, from anti-bullying campaigns to Make-A-Wish to voter registration to gay rights to Starkey Hearing (which gives hearing aids to deaf people in Third World countries) to Youth Service America, and takes her status as a positive role model very seriously, but her (mild) attempts to break away from her Disney image (and the occasional scandal) get more media coverage.
- And then the 2013 VMAs happened, with the "twerking" incident.
- Largely subverted and now considered discredited, at least, in the United Kingdom, where she has at least attempted to try to clean up her image.
- Bi the Way: In a 2015 interview with Paper Magazine, Miley revealed she is pansexual and genderfluid.
- Breakup Song: "7 Things", "The Driveway", "Bottom Of the Ocean" (In interpretation), "These Four Walls", "Goodbye", "Talk is Cheap", "Two More Lonely People", "FU", "Someone Else", "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", "Take Me Along", "Wrecking Ball".
- Child Popstar: Her earliest works were recorded when she was around 12.
- Christmas Songs: "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree".
- Cluster F-Bomb: Now that her Contractual Purity associated with being a teen star has been repealed due to her new image, she's definitely had the freedom to spice up her language.
- Concert Kiss: Kissed Katy Perry during the Bangerz tour... and liked it. It seems to be a running theme as two other kisses have occured, including one with a random fan.
- Cool Big Sis: Brandi to Miley◊, Miley to Noah◊.
- Cover Version: "Cherry Bomb", "I Love Rock N Roll", "Kicking And Screaming", "These Four Walls", "Smells like Teen Spirit", "Landslide", "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "Lilac Wine", "Look What They've Done To My Song Ma", "Bad Reputation", "Start All Over", "Jolene" and more.
- Distinct Double Album: Hannah Montana 2/ Meet Miley Cyrus.
- Drives Like Crazy: "4X4".
- Early-Bird Cameo: Before her fame as a teen singer, she got a few cameos on her dad's TV series, Doc.
- Of Lady Gaga. How else do you explain her writing "I met lady gaga!!!" 50+ times?
- And Radiohead. No, really!
- Regular namechecks of Nicki Minaj, John Lennon and Cage The Elephant on her reactivated Twitter account are common, along with obscure artists like Kina.
- And of Gucci Mane.
- And Gretchen Peters.
- And Britney Spears, shown in her Can't Be Tamed album and gave her an lifetime achievement award at the Teen Choice Awards. The fact Britney guest stars on the Bangerz album officially makes her an Promoted Fangirl.
- And Hilary Duff (before all the others). She even met her once in an event, and before that, got a call from her during an interview on a show on MuchMusic!
- As of October 2013, Bobby Vinton!
- The Flaming Lips, whom she recorded with and who appeared with her on her 'Bangerz tour.
- Follow Your Heart: "The Climb"; "Someone Else".
- Friend to All Living Things: She grew up on a ranch with plenty of animals, from dogs to fish to horses to tropical birds as pets, and even living alone as a young adult, has several pets in her house—-including a full-grown pig, all of which she posts photos of on social media. Many of her songs are dedicated to or inspired by her animal companions, living and deceased ("Pablow The Blowfish", "Bottom Of The Ocean", "The Floyd Song (Sunrise)", etc.)
- Gainaxing: Not Miley herself, but her backup dancers in her Bangerz tour commercial.
- Gay Aesop: "My Heart Beats For Love" is dedicated to her gay friend and has one of the most thorough messages that all love is love.
- Genki Girl: Watch one of her appearances on any talk show. Chances are the host, no matter how experienced, will run into a point where he can't get in a word edgewise. This especially happens with particularly deep, personal, or highly-controversial topics, such as LGBT rights, her dating life, or her musical transformation.
- Genre Roulette: Within the style of teen-pop, her music takes on elements of pop, rock, dance, techno, country-pop, New Wave, hip-hop, power ballads, punk-pop...
- Bangerz has country, EDM and R&B influences, with some production work by Pharell Williams.
- Girlish Pigtails: Shaped like teddy bear ears for her 2013 VMAs performance.
- Green Aesop: "Wake Up America" from Breakout.
- Handicapped Badass: Revealed in her memoir ''Miles To Go'' her struggles with non life-threatening tachycardia (a heart defect) in 2009.
- Hidden Depths: Many are surprised are how surprisingly nice and intelligent she is. She even started a charity called the "Happy Hippie Foundation", which is dedicated to homeless and LGBTQ youth.
- Hotter and Sexier:
- Only by post-"Hannah Montana" standards. Can't Be Tamed is themed more around empowerment than creating a "hotter" image, though the gossip press only focused on the occasional Three Minutes of Writhing in her videos, or her more revealing clothing in Real Life. This is largely a case of complaining about music you don't listen to and No Such Thing as Bad Publicity. The same could possibly be said for "We Can't Stop". The cover for Bangerz has her licking her reflection in a mirror in a suggestive fashion, and in the commercial for it the camera prominently focuses on her backup dancers' jiggling breasts and the conspicuously-placed mouths on Miley's shirt, as well as Call Backs to her infamous VMA 2013 performance. Her music video for Wrecking Ball, while an emotional song about heartbreak, has her perched butt-naked on a wrecking ball.
- In fact in 2013, she was voted #1 for Maxim's Hot 100.
- And to top it all off, her performance at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. 
- In Da Club: Bangerz has this theme.
- Important Haircut: The punky, blonde-dyed pixie-cut she adopted in June 2012 seemed to signal her full transformation from Disney pop star to a more mature image.
- Intentionally Awkward Title: "Fuckin Fucked Up", "FU".
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Enforced when she made it her legal name.
- Lonely Piano Piece: "The Twinkle Song".
- Moral Guardians: Concern over her supposed "sexy" image from parents and other pressure groups.
- Music Is Politics: The look she adopted after Hannah Montana is clearly about selling records and shedding her old kiddy image.
- Medley: Did a cover medley at The Gypsy Heart tour. I Love Rock N Roll/Cherry Bomb/Bad Reputation.
- Mondegreen: Many people, when listening to "We Can't Stop", mistake the line "We like to party/dancing with Miley" for "dancing with molly". Explanation
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Despite her producer stating that it was "dancing with Miley", Miley later stated that she was in fact talking about molly, but decided to leave the interpretation up to the fans, stating: "It depends who's doing what. If you're aged ten [the lyric is] "Miley", if you know what I'm talking about then you know. I just wanted it to be played on the radio and they've already had to edit it so much...you know what I'm up to — you know what that lyric is saying."
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: "4X4" is a square dance pop-rap song.
- Dead Petz contains a psychedelic rock/alternative/hip-hop/pop sound.
- Non-Appearing Title: "Take Me Along" doesn't feature the words Take Me Along.
- Obsession Song: "Obsessed".
- The One Thing I Don't Hate About You: "7 Things" ends with Miley listing seven things that she likes about her ex instead of hates.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Her direction from Bangerz and onwards borrows a lot from black girl culture.
- Pretty in Mink: She wore a fox coat in the video for "We Can't Stop", and the same coat for a few Christmas concerts that year.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: She was going to release her cover of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" as a duet with Bret Michaels as the second single from Can't Be Tamed and perform the song at the AMAs, but because her mother had been accused of having an affair with Bret, both of these were scrapped.
- Rearrange the Song: Her live performances of "Do My Thang" on her ''Bangerz' tour have a square dance feel, at least in the beginning.
- Refuge in Audacity:
- Went up to accept an award for Video of the Year at the 2013 MTV European Music Awards in Amsterdam, clearly lighting a joint on stage.
- The 2013 VMAs performance also ran on this to some extent.
- This trope and Rule of Fun seem to fuel a great deal of Miley's 2014 Bangerz tour, particularly during opening songs "(SMS) Bangerz", "4x4" and "Love Money Party".
: This is what happens when a 90s baby really, really wishes they lived through the 80s.
- Retcon: On her new website in August 2012 she has Breakout, Time Of Our Lives and Can't Be Tamed, but no longer acknowledges her album "collaboration" with Hannah Montana called, "Meet Miley Cyrus".
- As of late 2013, she doesn't even acknowledge that anything pre-Bangerz even existed.
- Interviews taken around the release of Can't Be Tamed have Miley saying "seven year old me would beat up 18-year old me for being a sellout", so maybe this is a trend we're seeing here.
- Miley kept her teen-pop hits (and the occasional Hannah hit) in live setlists even up to the 2011 Gypsy Heart Tour, yet the only music of hers to predate 2012 in her regular Bangerz Tour setlists are "Can't Be Tamed" and "Party In The U.S.A.". May have something to do with her wanting to be seen as a new artist with her RCA Records deal. The tour's director, Dianne Martel, is responsible for barely any old hits being performed. She thought they "wouldn't fit" the theme of the tour. It's safe to say Miley may not have wanted to perform them either, though.
- Rock Star Song: "Fly On The Wall" and "Robot".
- Self-Deprecation / Biting-the-Hand Humor: Her Saturday Night Live appearance in 2011 has a sketch called "Disney Channel Acting School", a spoof ad where Miley, dressed in an over exaggerated Miley Ray Stewart outfit, and former Nickelodeon star Kenan Thompson dressed as Raven-Symonť, parody the conventions and devices she and her fellow Disney stars used in the channel's hit Kid Coms.
- Shaking the Rump: Her stage routine now utilizes a surprising amount of this, ever since taking a Hotter and Sexier turn. She described her love of "twerking" in-depth in a 2013 interview with Ryan Seacrest, but it really came to dominate her public image after her performance at the 2013 VMAs. She's arguably the reason that "twerk" is now a household word.
- Shrinking Violet: The protagonist in "See You Again" is one. May also cross with Obsession Song.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: From 2012 onward especially, at least compared with a few years ago.
- Studio Chatter: Miley shouts "Rrrrock'N'Rolllll!!!" at the end of "East Northumberland High".
- Silly Love Songs: "Stay", "Adore You", "Full Circle" and "Obsessed" especially. Actually, most of her discography pre-Bangerz was composed of these.
- The Something Song: "Simple Song", "The Twinkie Song".
- Shot-for-Shot Remake: LOL was one of these.
- Shout-Out: The close up of her face at the start of the video for "Wrecking Ball" is one to Sinťad O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to U". Notably, O'Connor was not impressed.
- The Stoner: She confirmed she is one in a recent interview with Jimmy Kimmel.
- Surreal Music Video: "Start All Over" breaks the bounds of logic.
- "We Can't Stop" is even more surreal, with twerking, giant teddy bears, a fake finger amputation, diving in a swimming pool, etc.
- "Lighter" is both this and a Minimalist Music Video.
- Take That:
- "Robot" is basically one enormous Take That aimed at the Disney machine and the Contractual Purity it entails, as well as a swipe at the Moral Guardians who overreact to Cyrus' every misstep. It could also be towards a certain episode of Family Guy that depicts her as an actual robot.
- Her Saturday Night Live monologue got even straighter to the point, in which she compared her relatively mild scandals to the likes of Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan and satirically apologized, saying "I'm sorry that I'm not perfect." In song, of course.
- "Fly On The Wall" is about the paparazzi and how they like seeing things which aren't there with guys who are just her friends and how she's 100% committed to whoever she happens to be dating at any moment.
- Retweeted and expanded on a Twitter post by an E! Network gossip blogger friend of hers basically (fairly or unfairly) questioning the media for giving Taylor Swift a chaste, pure image in spite of going from one boyfriend to another, while Miley (maybe due to her adopting a sexier image as she grew up) was given a promiscuous, trampy reputation in spite of staying loyal to one man, Liam Hemsworth, for three years.
- The line "It's my mouth, I can say what I want to" in "We Can't Stop" can be interpreted in this way.
- This response to a meme snarkily and negatively comparing "old Miley" with "new Miley" note and attributing it to her stoner habits was met with this caption on her Instagram account.
- Another Instagram post takes a shot at the "old Miley"/"new Miley" debate in a different way.
- Teen Idol: Was only about thirteen when she hit it big.
- That Girl Is Dead: Averted. In re her hosting the October 5, 2013 Saturday Night Live, she insisted "Hannah Montana was murdered", which is Metaphorically True. Hannah Montana stopped existing before the end of the series when her Secret Identity was revealed.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: Beginning with Party in the USA, hip gyrations have become an increasingly prominent part of Miley's dance repertoire, culminating in her twerking at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. It's since become a major part of her repertoire.
- Title Track: "Breakout", "The Time Of Our Lives", and "Can't Be Tamed" all have one.
- "SMS (Bangerz)" is a partial example.
- The Tyson Zone: Starting with Bangerz, her behavior became so out of control that nothing she does comes across as surprising anymore.
- Vocal Evolution: Her cover of Lilac Wine she erases all of her country and raspy vibes for a way fresher voice choice.
- A Wild Rapper Appears: Bangerz is full of instances like these.
- Miley does her own rapping in "Liberty Walk" from her Can't Be Tamed album.
- Winged Humanoid: She plays one (and also a Peacock Girl) in the music video for "Can't Be Tamed".
- Word Salad Lyrics: Scattered throughout her Miley Cyrus And Her Dead Petz album.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Well, according to the Maxim Hot 100 in 2013.
- You Keep Using That Word: Her "twerking" is more aptly described as "sticking her ass out and shaking it slightly" instead of the quick motions and spastic muscular movements that the dance entails.
- Your Cheating Heart: FU is about a girl leaving her no-good boyfriend when she realizes he is cheating on her. Her reaction isn't depression, instead she's angry.
It's the climb