A My Little Pony series from IDW Publishing based on Friendship is Magic, and part of the overall My Little Pony G4 universe. Friends Forever is the second spin-off monthly comic series from the main pony comic, and replacing the limited-run micro-series. As opposed to the micro-series where stories were focused on a single character, Friends Forever features one-issue stories based on pairing the various characters, including those from the Mane 6, background characters, and other fan-favorites. According to editor Bobby Curnow, this gives them space to play around more, and more potential for future one-off stories while leaving the more serial stories to the main comic. It features a similar revolving writer and artist.The series will run for 38 issues, concluding in March 2017; a new series, My Little Pony: Legends of Magic will then replace it in the rotation with the main comic line.
This series provides examples of these tropes (for more, please also visit the character guide and the recap page):
- A Day in the Limelight: With two characters at once
- Foil: The stories often pair up some very contrasting individuals to see how they play off of each other.
- Rarity and Applejack (Tomboy And Girly Girl)
- Luna and Pinkie Pie (socially awkward vs outgoing and fun)
- Twilight Sparkle and Big Mac (flustered bookworm, calm farmworker)
- Lighter and Softer: While the main series tends to be much darker than the show, especially in its multi-part story arcs, these stories are much more in-line with the Slice of Life comedy fans expect. There's rarely any action, no multi-part stories, and typically it focuses on the interactions of characters for humor and Character Development.
- Not So Different: The running theme of the series is whomever the issue focuses on being this and getting a Friendship Moment out of it.
Tropes applying to Short Features:
Issue #8: A Morning In The Life Of Winona
- Written and drawn by Katie Cook, colored by Kate Carleton