Webcomic / Bomango
is a unsorted (no longer as of late 2016) Webcomic drawn and written by Rob Ten Pas. It follows the life and times and exploits of one Gogo Ayo Gigamoto Bomango, her genius and bubbly 'twin' Didi, and their friendship with a completely normal Mid-Western teenager named Andy as they try to 'fit in' with modern society.
As of October 2016, it began to weave a proper narrative, with the author relaunching it to a new continuity that can be found at the official website
, or this DeviantArt gallery
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Cora May to an extent.
- Adorkable: Didi mainly, and Hector as well. Andy on occasion shows it too.
- Art Evolution: It actually evolved quite casually over the course of three years. The most noticeable part is Gogo earlier being quite scrawny to latter become an Amazonian Beauty.
- Amazonian Beauty: Gogo, occasionally. She's very muscular and busty. Multiple characters in series find her physically attractive, including the main character, she's been depicted wearing little to no clothing in the comic and bonus art. However, she has poor hygiene, something that explicitly is pointed out and shown throughout the series.
- Amazon Chaser: Andy, to a certain degree. Andy's friend Hector had a crush on Gogo for a while but she literally scared him out of it.
- Ambiguously Brown: Gogo is from wherever Omingo Island is. Or, she says she is.
- Ambiguously Human: What Gogo really is has never been stated, but she's definitely not a simple human with how powerful she is, or how Didi budded out of her. For that matter, Didi is of a similar stock.
- Author Appeal: A few jokes or the characters' likes mentioned in the webcomic are born of the author being a fan of it, like Didi's hairstyle being made after Motoko Kusanagi (which Gogo initially was outraged that she cut it and accepted only because of said resemblance.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Discussed by Gogo in a conversation about love.
Gogo: Don't be so silly boo-bear. Often, the difference between love and hate is like the difference between red and orange.
- Berserk Button: If Gogo likes somebody, do NOT harm them emotionally or physically. She will find you and give you a warning before she "smash you into yours basic elements and eat them".
- Gogo is sensitive about how people she likes perceives her, as shown in the Ego Generosity series when she flips out about her appearance being deconstructed by Andy.
- With Andy, on the other hand, he really doesn't like having his feelings for Gogo being played with in the Halcyon arc. What made this especially hurt was that after his heartfelt confession to Gogo, she goes and (albeit jokingly) brushes it off. To be completely fair, Gogo strongly implies later that getting involved with her will have severe consequences for him (and possibly his loved ones) and from what little we've seen of her past with Caspian the Luxtos group, its not that ridiculous a fear. For better or worse they start a relationship anyways. Only time will tell what the future has in store.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Andy puts up with a LOT of selfishness from Gogo but even he has been known to yell righteously at the giant woman when she crosses the line one too many times. See Berserk Button above for one example.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Cora May could give Satsuki Kiryuin a run for her money.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Gogo.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Didi. Hyper-competent in all matters requiring brain power and very well adjusted to life in modern society but Didi can be ... weird at times.
- The Big Damn Kiss: Subverted, Gogo's lips taste too much like onions and old gym socks.
- Big Eater: Gogo. For instance, she ate six entire turkeys at Thanksgiving.
- The Big Guy: Gogo easily towers over the rest of the main cast at a little over 6 1/2 ft after her bodybuilding. An upcoming villain named Titus dwarfs even ''her'' at more than 8 ft tall!
- Bully Hunter: Gogo is one whether it's getting candy for her followers on Halloween or protecting Hector from Kyle (though she had ulterior motives for getting the candy back for herself and Pablo and its implied that Cora May manipulated her into helping Hector out). Given what we learn in the Halcyon arc, however, it does appear genuine on some level.
- The Chessmaster: Cora May has shades of this. And she really knows what she's doing.
- Cool Old Lady: Elaine deserves some points after getting Gogo, of all people, to stop arguing pointlessly with Didi and sends them both from her residence to their rooms with just a stern talking to. Admittedly she's a bit younger than most examples, but still.
- Cool Uncle: Roy tries to be this for Andy. Key word tries; see Two Decades Behind for more.
- Covert Pervert: Didi, apparently according to her plushie, writes a lot of erotic fanfiction, watches hentai and is fascinated by tentacles.
- Cute Bruiser: Gogo before Art Evolution came in and turned into her an Amazonian Beauty.
- Cute Little Fangs: Gogo's mouth has them at times. Of course, it's a Subverted Trope since that's about the only "cute" thing about her.
- Cuteness Proximity: Andy tries to go to a Halloween party dressed as Raggedy Andy. He's gonna have to get out from under Gogo and Didi first.
Gogo: You will go Nowhere. You is Mine rag dolly now.
- Pablo can also incite this in Gogo.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Gogo did not have a happy time at high school and spent most of her later teenage years on the streets with her ex, stealing to survive and constantly getting into fights. Eventually the two of them seperated for mostly unknown reasons and there's also a group of other superhumans called Luxtos that she doesn't even want to remember. On top of that there's also some mystery that she hates her mother's guts and that she'll "break her" during their next meeting.
- Dirty Old Man: Word of God says that Roy has given some thought of getting into Gogo's pants (after not so subtly dropping a "hint" to Andy) but he's not capable of acting on it. And this is despite the fact that he's a married man with a teenage daughter. This holiday shot shows him drunkly flirting with Gogo, much to his wife's irritation and Leesha's embarassment. And it's Played for Laughs.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Being Nigh Invulnerable and immune to extreme temperatures, Gogo has no use for shoes. Even less so now that her nails seem to have turned into pointed claws.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Gogo wasn't nearly as beefy or tall in earlier strips (explained later that she's been working out at a gym) and instead of Pablo her pet was a nameless baboon. While some early drawings depicted her with claws before she built up, it was latter retconned to have gained them sometime after the fact. Even while taking the height problems into consideration, some early strips showed her just about half a head taller than Andy.
- Both Hector and Leesha had different hairstyles at the start. The former lacked his glasses in the first strip he featured in and the latter's freckles weren't as noticable until the story arcs became more lengthly.
- Extreme Omnivore: According to Word of God, Gogo's unique biology allows her to not only eat pretty much anything without harming herself, but actually digest and get sustenance from it too. She seems to prefer eating actual food though - tastes better.
- Fat Girl: Kari is this.
- Freudian Excuse: According this strip, Gogo experienced social isolation at a young age, received a poor education, and got beat up frequently at the age of 13. It was not until she was 17, she started showing violent tendencies.
- We hear more details during the Halcyon arc (though many things are different from the above mentioned strip). After leaving her home island for America, Gogo was treated as an outcast and bullied in high school until she met a similar guy to her, called Caspian. For a while she leeched off of his reputation and thought that it made her strong. Needless to say she was quickly proven wrong when a trio of other delinquents jumped her and pulled a knife. Needless to say she grew sick of being afraid all the time and finally fought back by herself (awakening her powers in the process). Both she and Caspian dropped out of the school and made it on the road for a while before they separated for unclear reasons. There was also something with a group of unidentified people that even the current Gogo does not wish to elaborate on.
- Freudian Trio: Andy, Didi, and Gogo.
- Genki Girl: Didi
- Godiva Hair: This has covered Gogo a few times.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Both Gogo and Didi can do this when they are angry/hungry.
- Halloween Episode: Several one-shots; the most notable being this.
- Husky Russkie: Subverted Trope by Gogo, who is a large Amazonian Beauty who speaks with an accent and poor grammar that cause other people to assume she's Russian. While it's not clear what's the name of where she's really from, she's definitely not from Russian since her childhood was shown being in some sort of tropical island.
- Jerk Jock: Kyle
- Jerkass with a Heart of Gold: Gogo is a bitch to many people, even including her friends, but she cares about them deep down and will do anything in her power to protect them. And with Gogo's power being somewhere in the demi-god range, Andy finds himself keeping her in check more often than not.
- The Lad-ette: Gogo, who is pretty much the most masculine character in the webcomic by a mile.
- Large Ham: Gogo and Didi alike are fond of speaking out verbose narratives.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Didi.
- Manipulative Bitch: Cora May is this to extent. Basically she used Hector on a pseudo-date in order to show Jerk Jock Kyle that he can always be replaced whenever she feels like it. Even Gogo was used to an extent by her. She doesn't show any maliciousness towards Hector himself however, and tells him that she enjoyed their night together for what it was worth.
- Mad Genius: Usually not, but Didi occasionally pulls off this kind of hammy flair.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Andy's a fairly normal teenage boy. His personality can probably be best described as gender-neutral if not masculine. But compared to muscular Nigh Invulnerable Boisterous Bruiser, Gogo, he's down right feminine. This aspect of their relationship gets discussed here.
- Meganekko: Elaine, Andy's mother, is never seen without her glasses.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Pablo; its never brought up or explained just what the little guy really is. Andy mistakes him for a racoon in the proper retelling, but he most resembles a cross between a koala and a squirrel (and is blue).
- Monster Clown: She might not be a monster clown, but Gogo is scared(?) of her, apparently.
- Morality Pet: Didi, Andy, and Pablo to Gogo. According to her, she was far worse than she is now, though she will attack even them if sufficiently provoked.
- Mysterious Past: While the Halcyon arc has begun to shed some light, the circumstances behind Gogo and Caspian's breakup is still in the dark. Even more so is a group of at least four people with (presumably) similar abilities to Gogo called Luxtos, which Gogo refuses to revisit.
- No Social Skills: Gogo speaks in broken English and acts like a gross jerk most of the time.
- One time, she was given a talking plushie of herself. It said embarrassing things like "I paw at my crotch in public." and "I use violence as conversation tool." She didn't seem to know how insulting it was and thought the plushie was cool.
- One-Man Army: Gogo
- One-Word Vocabulary: Pablo says nothing but the word "Hams".
- Plucky Girl: Didi is always cheerful and trying to keep her sister's and friends' spirits up.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Even though Didi spawned from Gogo, she quickly developed her own personality, essentially taking what Gogo rejected from herself. Didi is the brain to Gogo's brawn, as well as being much more level-headed and nicer overall.
- Recurring Extra: Hector, being Andy's best friend. There seems to be a larger cast of characters then what is seen in the comic.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Pablo, the cute racoon-thing that follows the twins.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Gogo doesn't pay much mind when she gets naked or is otherwise poorly dressed.
- Shout-Out: Quite a lot. For example, this strip has a few references, the most obvious one being the "Snu-Snu" episode of Futurama.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Gogo might be as Super Strong as she thinks she is, but she over-estimates her attractiveness. She once decided her birthday gift for Andy should be to let him gawk at her. Naturally, Andy calls her out on this. And we see that her self-esteem, although while not low, is more fragile than Andy thought.
- The Voiceless: Constantinos; though Gogo says he talks too much.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Non-romantic example with Cora May and her bodyguard, Constantinos.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Andy and Gogo, naturally.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Gogo and Didi, respectively.
- Twin Desynch: After Didi budded off Gogo, she cut her hair short. While Gogo bulked up.
- Twin Telepathy: Gogo attempts to telepathically tell Didi to bring her chicken by focusing really hard before assuming it a failure and running off. A panel after, Didi runs in carrying a bag of take-out chicken, talking about a sudden, overwhelming urge to get chicken and bring it to that exact location.
- Two Decades Behind: Andy's uncle Roy seems to be somewhat ignorant of what the kids these days are all about. Andy calls him insane after some rather embarrassing terminologies regarding sex.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Or fur in Pablo's case. Cora May has purple hair in most appearances. A throwaway line in the retelling suggests its dyed.
- You No Take Candle: Gogo has no interest in the scholarly topics that Didi has...or proper grammar.
- Your Cheating Heart: Subverted or Downplayed perhaps, despite Roy having a mild attraction for Gogo, Word of God says he'll never act on it. Being married with a daughter will do that, man.