Everything Explodes Ending
"Or does it explode?"Sometimes a comedic piece, rather than a punchline, will have everything suddenly explode instead. The randomness combined with the coolness factor of explosions is guaranteed to get some laughs. This is an example of Stuff Blowing Up. Also compare Drop the Cow.
— Langston Hughes, "A Dream Deferred" (last line)
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- The Goodies episode 'Earthansia' ends with the BBC1 spinning Earth logo blowing up.
- Several skits end that way in Monty Python's Flying Circus.
- Many, many episodes of MythBusters. If it's a montage of explosions (as used in several specials), expect the climax of The 1812 Overture to accompany the montage.
- The end of the pilot and the end of the series finale of The Young Ones.
- The punchline to the MacGruber skits on Saturday Night Live, where the room that the eponymous character and his partners are trapped with always explodes, due to MacGruber's incompetence.
- A favorite of The Muppets. Jim Henson was on record stating that whenever he can't think of an ending for a skit he just has everything explode.
- The Secret Life Of Machines's ending sequence is usually a bunch of the machines du jour exploding while "Take Five" plays.
- The Supermarioglitchy4s Super Mario 64 Bloopers episode "SM64: Meet the Steve" ends with the castle blowing up. Apparently this is subverted because Steve was responsible for it.
Bomb: (in female robot voice) Bomb deactivated.Mario: Yaaaaaay!SMG4: Yaaaaaay!Bomb: JUST KIDDING ME!The entire castle explodes, while Steve in his Evil Steve costume walks out.Steve: Yay.
- Many episodes of The Goon Show.
- Mass Effect 3 - not a comedic ending.
- The endings of the deliberately bad games Gorillaflop, P.I.: TO CATCH A PLANETTHIEF and Gorillaflop: Episode 0.555647: P.I. Investigates: The Moon Man Moon Heist: Gorilla in Spaaaaace.
- The Bad Ending of Sly Spy briefly depicts major landmarks getting replaced by nuclear blasts.
- This Edds World cartoon, at least before The Stinger.
- Everything that sings in Charlie The Unicorn.
- The Demented Cartoon Movie has multiple skits end this way. Not to mention the movie as a whole ends with those two stick figures on the chairs being stuck to their faces and their chairs, falling apart, causing their city to collapse, and finally unleashes a missile that knocks the Moon out of the sky, which destroys the Earth.
- The result of the Gainax Ending existence failure in the James Rolfe parody film The Wizard of Oz 3: Dorothy Goes to Hell.
- Sealab 2021 ends (nearly?) every episode with Sealab exploding. Sometimes justified by the plot, sometimes purely for Once an Episode Rule of Funny.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Dying For Pie" ends with the exploding pie completely destroying Bikini Bottom, using footage from the Bikini Atoll nuclear tests as said explosion.
- Ren and Stimpy:
Narrator: Thus ended the Republican party as we know it.
- "Ren's Brain" is such a Mind Screw that the audience is seen with their heads exploding, and eventually the Earth itself explodes.
Ren's Brain: You eediot!
- "Sven Hoek" ends with Ren, Stimpy and Sven being blown straight to Hell after Ren pees on a board game named "Don't Whiz On The Electric Fence".
- Inverted in "Black Hole", which ends with Ren and Stimpy imploding.
- The Tom and Jerry cartoon "The Missing Mouse" has Tom scared by a lab mouse that swallowed a powerful explosive. By the end a radio announcement declares that the mouse will not explode and Tom gives it a good kick. It explodes anyway.
- Looney Tunes
- Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century ends with Dodgers and Marvin blowing up Planet X.
- "Captain Hareblower" has Bugs Bunny blowing up Yosemite Sam's ship by throwing a lit match into the gunpowder room. Sam tries to get even by doing the same to Bugs' ship, but Bugs doesn't even try to stop him and Sam makes a hasty retreat. Turns out it was the other kind of powder room (the ladies' bathroom), yet it explodes anyway.
Bugs: I don't know what he's so worried about... talcum powder doesn't explode.
(cue big explosion)
Bugs: Uh, I guess I could be wrong, you know...