Pink: Yeah Charlie! You silly sleepy-head, wake up!
This series provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: The starfish... WANTS TO BE WITH YOU FOREVER!
- Actually, I Am Him: Fool! Charlie did speak to the weasel, for the Blue unicorn is the weasel!
- Affably Evil: The pink and blue unicorns are generally friendly towards Charlie, right before leading him into a trap and taking his freaking kidney.
- A God Am I: The Millipede declares herself, among many other things.
- Ambiguously Gay: In the charlie teh unicron videos, the pink unicorn suggests they all make out. Due to the ambiguous gender this trope may apply.
- The starfish.
- Ambiguous Gender: Charlie lampshades this in the second episode: "Guys? Guys? Or girls. I'm not really sure what you two are." Word of God says that their genders are deliberately not specified because it's funnier that way.
- Anti-Climax:Charlie: What is "The Door?"
Blue: The Door is everything.
Pink: All that once was and all that will be!
Blue: The Door controls time and space.
Pink: Love and death!
Blue: The Door can see into your mind!
Pink: The Door can see into your soul!
Charlie: [shaken] Really? The... the Door can do all that?
Pink: Heh, no.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: The three of them can breathe underwater, which Charlie decides he's not even going to ask how. In Episode 4, they actually do go to space. Again, no problems with breathing.
- Big Bad: Pink and Blue seem to be behind it all as of the end of Episode 4.
- charlie teh unicron 4 has the Grand Slamwich-loving waitress.
- Bilingual Bonus:
- In the YouTube Live short, the pink and blue unicorns inexplicably don fur hats and beards and start speaking in Russian; as it turns out, they're saying My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels. At the end, when they're being menaced by Rick Astley, the pink one goes back into Russian mode and shouts "Communism!"
- In one of the one-shots, they encounter a... well, giant Z. Upon meeting it they start speaking in Spanish. Considering the rest of the series, though, it probably doesn't mean anything. That said, we do have Llamas with Hats...Blue: ˇEl hombre con el sombrero nos envió! (The man with the hat sent us!)
Pink: ˇÉl nos contó muchas historias asombrosas! (He told us many amazing stories!)
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: In the course of the series, those two sweet, dimwitted friends of Charlie: knocked him out to steal his kidney, his TV, and his horn just so they could make a snowman. And that's if you don't count merely being near them as a horror in itself. The fourth one reveals that they really are just trying to kill him, most likely out of boredom, and that they do this to other people too.
- Body Horror: The "demonstration" of 3D in one of the Youtube Live promos.
- Bragging Theme Tune: I am a Millipede.
- Brick Joke :
- "Oh, look, it's my kidney."
- From charlie teh unicron:Pink: "Oh no way!"
Blue: "That crap's still burning!"
Pink: "Man, that is from last episode, how is that still goin'?"
- The starfish returns at the end of Charlie the Unicorn 4.
- The waitress from the end of charlie teh unicron 2 returns at the end of charlie teh unicron 3. She's working at a Red Lobster now, but she still suggests that the group orders a basket of Grand Slamwiches, to the dismay of Blue and Pink. And then she returns as the Big Bad of charlie teh unicron 4. She also appears in the Film Cow short, the Robber, preventing George from finally getting his eggs by replacing his order with 2 orders of Grand Slamwiches.
- Butt Monkey: Charlie.
- Cameo: Charlie makes a cameo appearance at the end of the music video for the Weezer song "Pork and Beans".
- Call Back:
- Pink and Blue burning down the forest is a reference to Charlie asking them if the meadow was on fire in the first episode.
- In charlie teh unicron 2, Pink points out in Denny's that the fire was from the episode before. Blue Lampshades this by asking how it was still burning.
- Came Back Wrong: Used verbatim in the Playlist LIVE video to describe the resurrected Jenna Marbles.
- Captain Obvious:
- "We're on a bridge, Charlie!"
- "Charlie!" "What?!" "We're naked!"
- Cast from Hit Points: Starfish can grant wishes at the cost of a layer of biomass.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The starfish.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Everyone who's not Charlie.
- Continuity Nod:
- "Oh, hey, look, it's my kidney."
- The fourth one has Charlie's horn held together with a band-aid.
- Convection Schmonvection: Double Subverted in the Hot Topic video. The blue unicorn is in a room full of lava, and then proceeds to be set on fire from the heat. Then in the next scene, it's not on fire anymore, but still in the room full of lava. Assuming that the blue unicorn bursting into flames had anything to do with the heat.
- Crapsaccharine World: A world that is shaped by two sadistic unicorns was bound to be this, at least for Charlie.
- Creepy Twins: Pink and Blue. There's no confirmation as to whether or not they're actually twins, but they certainly have several traits of this trope (almost identical, always in synch with each other, etc.)
- Crossdressing Voices: The Millipede has an obviously male voice, but in addition to claiming to have "three hundred eggs", the mothmen use female pronouns when singing along with her at the end of the song.
- Deadpan Snarker: CharliePink: We're from the future!
Charlie: Oh, I bet.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Charlie, this is redundant, Charlie!
- Candy Mountain! It's a land of sweets and joy... and joyness...
- Detonation Moon: The ending of the fourth episode.
- Did You See That Too?
- Disney Acid Sequence: Each episode has a bizarre musical number toward the end.
- Dissonant Serenity: Pink and Blue almost always talk with insanely cheerful, singsong voices.Pink: Yaaay! DARKNESS!
- Eldritch Abomination:
Charlie: I'm not even gonna ask how I'm still alive, cause you know what I think? I think I died long ago and you two are my eternal punishment.Blue: You're like a constant downer, huh?
- An Alternate Character Interpretation of Pink and Blue is that they're really some sort of insane gods who have chosen Charlie as their plaything. The fact that some of the stuff they summon is genuinely disturbing backs up this theory.
- Rick Astley in the YouTube Live episode is played like an Eldritch Abomination from the internet.
- Charlie himself seems to agree.
- To say nothing of "The Millipede".
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: Charlie indulges in this in the third episode, when he conjectures that he's already dead and the other two unicorns are his eternal punishment. Note that they don't deny this....
- False Reassurance: In Charlie the Unicorn 4:Blue: If you go into the Cavern we'll never bother you again.Charlie: Never?Pink: We promise! It'll be the last you ever see of us, Charlie.
- Flanderization: In the first episode, Pink and Blue were... unsettling, but had few if any of their reality warping powers. Their ability to screw with the laws of nature got stronger each episode.
- Flat "What.": All the time. On encountering the giant Z:Blue: ˇEl hombre con el sombrero nos envió!
Pink: ˇÉl nos contó muchas historias asombrosas!
Z: *bing bing bing dodolo dodolo*
Pink and Blue: Ho ho ho ho ho!
- Genre Blindness: In the fourth cartoon, the usually Genre Savvy Charlie fails to notice the False Reassurance in Blue and Pink's promise to him. In his defense though, they've never tried to kill him before, only steal things from him.
- Genre Savvy:
- By the second cartoon, Charlie knows to expect "horrible things" to happen when the other two are around. He grows so accustomed to their antics that by the third episode, very little actually fazes him in terms of weirdness.Blue: Ring ring!Pink: Hello?Blue: Ring ring!Pink: H-h-Hello?Blue: Ring ring!Pink: Hellooo?Blue: Ring ring!Charlie: YOU HAVE A BAD CONNECTION!
- Charlie knows when he's about to be treated to a musical number, and he's not pleased.
- In Charlie The Unicorn 4, Pink and Blue show up to drag Charlie on yet another "adventure", this time on the moon. By now, he's pretty sure there is absolutely nothing he can do to stop them.Pink: [The millipede] is using gross, slimy millipede power to destroy the cavern of the Red Wind!Charlie: I don't care! I don't know why I'm even asking! It's obvious I have no actual choice here, how about we save some time here and just go to the fricking moon?!Blue: Oh my God, that would be amazing!
- By the second cartoon, Charlie knows to expect "horrible things" to happen when the other two are around. He grows so accustomed to their antics that by the third episode, very little actually fazes him in terms of weirdness.
- Going to See the Elephant: The plot of the first episode.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: In unicron 2, after Pink and Blue kill the Banana King, they go with Charlie and the Banana King to eat at a Denny's. The Banana King is completely fine.
- Grumpy Bear: CharlieCharlie: ... You know what I think? I think I died long ago and you two are my eternal punishment.Blue: You're like a constant downer, huh?
- Heroic Sacrifice: The StarfishJUST DO IT MY LOVE! WISH!
- "I Am" Song: "I am a Millipede" from episode 4.
- I Want My Jetpack: In-universe.Blue: Charlie! We're here!
Pink: In the future! *blows party horn*
Charlie: This looks EXACTLY the same!
- Jackass Genie: Pink and Blue promised Charlie that they would never bother him again if he enters the Cavern of the Red Wind. Cue bomb, so there would be no more Charlie to bother.
- Karma Houdini: For all the crap they put Charlie through, the pink and blue unicorns don't get much comeuppance. A The Bad Guy Wins scenario in this case! Episode 4 implies they've been getting away with this sort of thing even longer than they have been doing it to Charlie, and they've also gotten away with killing the others when they got bored.
- Lampshade Hanging: In the second and third episodes, Charlie takes note of how each time, the singer explodes. The third episode also has him realize that their adventures are always just some ploy to steal something of his.
- Level Ate: Candy Mountain. Allegedly.
- Made of Explodium: Anything that sings, apparently.
- Man on Fire: "CHARLIE, I'M ON FIRE! TELL ME!"
- MacGuffin: The amulet.
- MacGuffin Escort Mission: The plot of the second episode.
- Make a Wish: The starfish tells Charlie to do this to escape the bomb in episode 4.
- Master of Illusion: The Millipede in episode 4, although she mostly just uses it for special effects.
- Mind Screw: Played for Laughs.
- Moral Event Horizon: Charlie certainly thinks that Blue and Pink cross this in episode 4.Charlie: Uhh... You guys are going a little far this time huh? Guys? Guys?... Guys?
- Naked People Are Funny: The two very last lines in the Hot Topic video.Pink: Charlie!
Pink: We're NAKED!
- Narcissist: The millipede.
- No Name Given: The two unicorns who aren't Charlie. We just call them Pink and Blue.
- No Respect Guy: Charlie, Charlie, Charlie.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: The other two unicorns appear to be childish and stupid, but the occasional line of insight and the fact that all of the episodes are plots to steal things from Charlie seem to suggest that they are very odd Chessmasters or at least Cloud Cuckoolanders with magical powers and odd goals.
- Off the Rails: Everything made after the third one, losing all grips on what loose idea you could call reality in the first videos.
- Only Sane Man: Charlie considers the trip ridiculous and wishes his friends would stop repeating everything.
- Organ Theft: "Aw, they took my freakin' kidney!"
- Overly Long Tongue: In episode 2, Pink and Blue tell Charlie to grab to their tongues to travel to the future and to save him from an invisible creature. Charlie finds their tongues all over his face and neck gross.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: From charlie teh unicron. Pink and Blue drag Charlie to go with them to kill the Banana King for selling candy at their street.Banana King: Yo' need to learn some economics!
Pink: Well, you need to learn some DIE!!
- Psychopathic Manchild: Pink and Blue act very much like a pair of sugar-high kids dragging someone along on a pretend adventure - they speak childishly, often make up monsters and exaggerate fanciful things that are obviously not there, and tend to get distracted along the adventures by playing kids games (like "the floor is lava") and making silly jokes. Only in this case, a great deal of the things they imagine up are hellishly real in some way, much to Charlie's torment - which they are totally callous towards. This extends all the way to the end of the last video where they attempt to kill Charlie simply because they've gotten bored with the "games" they've been playing with him.
- Random Events Plot: Yeah.
- Reality Warper: Pink and Blue may be this, in light of the Alternate Character Interpretation of them as a pair of cosmic horrors. Lamphaded by Charlie in episode 4.Charlie: I'll never understand how you do these things.
- Regardless of the cosmic horrors idea, in fact, they're pretty obviously reality warpers.
- Satellite Character: In the "charlie teh unicron" spinoffs, Charlie himself really doesn't do much but sit back and watch whatever 4channian craziness Pink and Blue are up to.
- Say My Name:Charlie! Charlie! CHARLIE!I'm right here, what do you want!?
- Self-Deprecation: charlie teh unicron is a self-parody by the creators that makes fun of the original. According to Word of God, it's also a Take That to fans who email Filmcow with suggestions for future Charlie the Unicorn episodes, "a parody of what Charlie the Unicorn would be like if it was written by random internet people."
- Serial Killer: It is implied in episode 4 that Red and Blue have killed many people before him out of boredom.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: The Millipede is really quite well-spoken for a bug.
- Shaggy Dog Story: The first three episodes end with the two crazy unicorns robbing Charlie, the entire insane journey having just been an elaborate plot to steal his kidney, TV, and horn, respectively. Good news is, he finds his kidney again in the third episode...
- Spin-Off: Kinda? The only real difference between Unicron and the main series is that Pink and Blue act more adult and lose the Eldritch Abomination feel. Plus Charlie is less of a straight man and more a bystander. Weird things still happen, they just seem more "normal", in the sense that you could believe that's just how the universe works in this world.
- Small Name, Big Ego: The Millipede would like to inform you how great she is.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Charlie has no idea how he's breathing underwater, and frankly, he'd rather not ask.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Charlie actually survives the fourth episode without losing anything!
- Take That, Audience!: Why charlie teh unicron was made.
- Time Travel: Possibly. Notable in that the three unicorns live in a forest, so there is absolutely no visual difference between the "present" and the "future". And their future clothes disappear when they're in the future.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The Denny's waitress absolutely adores "Grand Slamwiches", and refuses to let customers order anything else.
- Unexplained Recovery: In episode 3 Charlie loses his horn as it's the last missing piece to the snowman. In the Hot Topic and Youtube Live shorts (which may or may not take place after episode 3), he has his horn again. The fourth episode shows that he taped his horn back onto himself.
- Unwitting Pawn: Charlie, three times. Not that they are complicated plans. Granted, Charlie seems to know that something bad is going to happen, yet goes with them anyway.
- Villain Song: The millipede gets one in the fourth episode.
- Vocal Evolution: Compare Blue and Pink's voices in the first segment to their voices in the Hot Topic video. Or the Charlie teh Unicron videos.
- A small one and nowhere as near as noticeable as Pink and Blue's, but Charlie's voice gets slightly higher as the series progresses.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: "THE DOOR CAN SEE INTO YOUR SOULLLLLLL!!!"
- A Wild Rapper Appears: In the third episode's musical number.
- With Friends Like These...: Charlie and the two unicorns — that is, assuming they really do consider Charlie their "friend" (he sure doesn't see it that way) and it's not just a ploy that's part of their insane agenda.
- Yandere:Starfish: STARFISH REALLY LOVES YOU!
Starfish: LOVE ME, LOVE ME!
Starfish: I WANT TO BE WITH YOU FOREVER!
- His face as he says that and Patrick-like voice really drives it home.
- Ultimately subverted. The only life Starfish endangers for Charlie is the starfish's own.
- Zero-Effort Boss: The Millipede.Blue & Pink: YOU DID IT CHARLIE! YOU DEFEATED THE MILLIPEDE!Charlie: It just exploded like everything does when it sings to me!