**I move away from the mic to describe tropesAdam Nyerere Bahner
, better known as Tay Zonday
, first gained fame in July 2007 for his original song "Chocolate Rain
", the source of many an Internet meme. Tay also has his own YouTube channel
, host to several of his own homemade songs.
Tropes found in Tay Zonday's work:
- Adam Westing: Most notably in his "Cherry Chocolate Rain" video for Dr Pepper.
- Auto-Tune: Used in "Roll the Dice".
- Badass Baritone: At first, this may cause Vocal Dissonance for people who stumble across him, as they may not be expecting it.
- Black and Nerdy: Some of the stuff he covers falls into this.
- Deadpan Snarker: Best seen on YouTubers React. After he ended up watching someone doing the Knife Game Song, he dryly commented "I'm not gonna be covering this".
- Genre Savvy: Best shown on YouTubers React.
- Hidden Depths: He comes across as very smart and Genre Savvy when he's not singing. For further proof, see his music video on the US economy.
- Last-Second Word Swap: In his appearance on Dave Days "Baby" parody, he says "But I'm still getting laid...ies home phone numbers... Dave calls him out on it.
- Older Than He Looks: He was in his mid-20s when he wrote "Chocolate Rain."
- Rickroll: Of course.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Present in "Musicolio," where he sings all the backing vocals and plays all the instruments on his keyboard. In fact, he does it in most of his covers.
- Vocal Dissonance: He looks about 12 in the "Chocolate Rain" video, but has a rather deep voice. He was actually in his mid-20s when he wrote it.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Most of "Chocolate Rain" seems to be this. (In truth, it's a song about racial discrimination, with heavy use of metaphors.)
- Word Salad Title: "I wanted a catchy artist name that had zero search results on Google."