A character with a tongue of surprising, implausible, or downright impossible length.
A Justified Trope
in certain cases — say, a mutation or non-human anatomy — but in other cases this is left completely unexplained (and usually Played for Laughs
). The lucky person in possession of this tongue frequently has a surprising amount of control over it, and may even use it as a weapon. Depending on the intended audience, female characters may greatly
admire said tongue and muse on what else it could do.
Characters without this feature may suddenly develop one
, often in tandem with a Jaw Drop
, when startled, screaming, or confronted with Hello, Nurse!
Naturally, a major trigger
of Power Perversion Potential
. Use of this trope may also cause a character to be labeled a Memetic Molester
character by the fans, or have this trait given to characters who don't have this trait in canon in fanworks.
open/close all folders
- In the Orangina fur-I mean commercial, one of the species dancing is a chameleon (in Chippendale clothing even!), and he extends his tongue around a plant girl.
Anime and Manga
- Naruto: Orochimaru — with and without two-edged sword for extra amusement.
- The toad summons, of course.
- In Tower of God, Ren's tongues (plural) aren't as long as the other examples on this page but are still about half the length of his body. Also you do not want to see them.
- The Negi golem drawn by Haruna, with a 23.5cm tongue.
- It's implied it could've been even worse...
- Nnoitra Jiruga of Bleach gets a freakishly long tongue in his released form.
- All vampires in Hellsing have long tongues to lick up blood.
- In the Keroro Gunsou manga, Sumomo's Pokopenian form has one of these, long enough to wrap around Fuyuki's body several times (she apparently doesn't quite "get" the concept of a French kiss) as seen here◊
- Claude of Black Butler II as shown in episode 5 when he used it to lick cream from the middle of his nose.
- Shizuku of Omamori Himari has this as a snake-girl.
- Tambourine one of King Piccolo's children from Dragon Ball showed he had this ability which he used to attempt to constrict Goku to death.
- Buyon also has one which he mostly uses to scoop things up to eat.
- Jimushi Juubei from Basilisk has this and a weapon concealed in his throat to use with it.
- Baikinman from ''Anpanman. It's bright blue and perfect for slurping up the contents of the Donburiman Trio in one go.
- Often used in One Piece in partnership with the Wild Take and Eye Pop for comical effect.
- In Toriko, Midora's fighting style plays this trope to downright insane levels.
- The Salamander Sphinx also has a long tongue.
- A frog-like minor Legion of Super-Heroes villain called Ze Tongue.
- Venom's insanely long tongue (and the toothy mouth surrounding it) is the main distinction between him and black-suit-Spidey. Well, that and the muscle mass...
- X-Men villain The Toad.
- The alien commander's girlfriend in Battlefield Earth. Played by John Travolta's wife, who presumably doesn't have that tongue in reality, though it would explain how their marriage holds up.
- Jar Jar Binks, as seen here◊.
- In Earth Girls Are Easy, Jim Carrey as Wiploc proves he has a long tongue by using it to retrieve ice from the bottom of a tall glass. Valerie's friend exclaims "I want his baby" on seeing this.
- The Rome sequence in History of the World Part I. While pretending to be a eunuch, Josephus (Gregory Hines) is tested by having a woman perform an erotic dance in front of him. He gives himself away by having his very long tongue plop out of his mouth as seen here.
- The velociraptors in the stop-motion animation storyboard version of Jurassic Park, before they were informed that the raptors didn't have tongues like that.
- The aliens from WHAM! BAM! THANK YOU, SPACEMAN! has them where their noses should be.
- In the X-Men film series a kid is briefly seen sticking out a long, blueblack tongue at a girl in a museum, showing he's a mutant.
- Pairing this trope with In One Ear, Out The Other by having someone sexy seductively stick their tongue into someone else's ear is practically a minor stock trope in of itself in spoof movies, appearing as it does in such films as Mafia!, Wrongfully Accused and Dance Flick.
- Lilith from Bordello of Blood, and it's strong enough to burst a man's heart out of his chest.
- Sammael from the first Hellboy film has a tongue that is freakishly long. It is also split at the end, prehensile, and can be used to lay eggs.
- The Tree Demon from A Chinese Ghost Story has a tongue that chases and attacks the heroes from quite a distance.
- The demon in Violent Shit.
- The hybrids in the Species series, culminating in a gory example of In One Ear, Out The Other in The Awakening.
- The frog monsters in Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster have prehensile tongues.
- The Company of Wolves: Rosaleen's love interest in the end is a werewolf and has a long, canine like creepy tongue.
- Hellraiser: Inferno. When the Wire Twins Cenobites make out with Joseph, they lick him with unnaturally long tongues.
- In Rio 2, we have Charlie the anteater. Whose tongue is used for all kinds of things, from boat propeller to slingshot elastic.
- Dudley Dursley in Harry Potter. Of course, that was a temporary prank...
- Crowley in Good Omens, Apparently he can do "interesting things" with it.
- The vampires in The Strain subvert this. The things coming out of their mouths aren't tongues, but venom stingers that grow in their throats.
- As pictured above, Odie.
- Bill the Cat in Bloom County, at least when he leads the metal band Deathtöngue (later Billy and the Boingers).
- One of the aliens in Bally's Space Invaders pinball game has a tongue three times longer than its head.
- Gene Simmons in KISS, of course.
- Characters in In Nomine can learn a suite of Songs called Numinous Corpus, which allow the performer to augment his or her body in various ways. One of these Songs is Numinous Corpus: Tongue. Three guesses what it does.
- Warhammer 40,000: Everything Slaanesh-affiliated will likely have this. Genestealers also have long tongues that are almost always shown hanging out of their mouths; justified, as a genestealer's tongue is an ovipositor used to deliver a Face Full of Alien Wing-Wong to its victims.
- Yoshi, starting with his debut in Super Mario World.
- The Smoker in Left 4 Dead. Justified in that it's his intestines, if Word of God is to be believed.
- The Pokémon Lickitung and its evolution Lickilicky are known for their long sticky tongues.
- Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar also.
- Golbat, as seen in Red and Blue.
- And Kecleon and Politoed, as they are a chameleon and frog.
- Greninja, also based on a frog, uses its tongue as a scarf.
- Silent Hill has Pyramid Head.
- Grump-Frump, the Tasting Gnome in King's Quest VI.
- Reptile in Mortal Kombat.
- Busuzima in the Bloody Roar games has an extra-long tongue...in human form.
- Chameleon Twist and its sequel, naturally. Davy and his friends use their tongues to swallow enemies for spitting, polevault, latch onto and drag themselves to objects (in the sequel), and wrap around poles for travel...Did I mention one of Davy's friends is a a girl comedian?
- Ghirahim from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has one, which freaks Link out when Ghirahim lashes it out while leaning his head on Link's shoulder.
- The Fear from Metal Gear Solid 3 has a longer tongue than a human though it's not used for the usual grabbing of objects. He merely sticks it all the way out to be creepy. This could have been a way to take Vamp's long tongue Up to Eleven.
- Trigger Happy from Skylanders. Even more so Wrecking Ball, who lashes his tongue out to attack.
- Genocider Syo in Danganronpa.
- Mega Man X's Sting Chameleon uses his tongue to hang from the ceiling and as a nasty fast whip.
- The Licker enemy in Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 5 and various other games. It's signature attack is using an absurdly long tongue to whip anything it wants to attack, driving it with enough force to impale a prey item with it. They are heavily mutated T-Virus infected humans.
- Level 3 of Ghouls'n Ghosts has extensible monster tongues that are used as platforms.
- Gorillaz bassist Murdoc Niccals, who was loosely based on Gene Simmons of Real Life band KISS.
- 2D's tongue is long enough to stick up his nose.
- Gene Simmons again, in a brief gag on Family Guy—his tongue goes off screen, followed by Lois (also from off-screen): "Oh, hello, Gene..."
- In an earlier episode, the normal-looking girl at the flag girl tryouts has her long tongue flop out when she tries to respond to Meg.
- Speaking of Gene Simmons, long-tongued, rock god Rock Zilla from My Dad The Rock Star was not only an Expy of Gene, the show was created by Gene Simmons.
- All three of the title characters of Ed, Edd n Eddy seems to have one, all the better for eating the oversized jawbreakers they're so fond of.
- Teen Titans has Starfire have this as part of her Bizarre Alien Biology.
- A talking alien dog had this in another episode, as shown when he licked Raven's face.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender has June's Shirshu have a very long tongue that might have been prehensile and provided Instant Sedation.
- Drew Saturday's Evil Twin from The Secret Saturdays
- Scratchy on The Itchy & Scratchy Show has a tongue so long that it can be shot via rocket to the moon without him even noticing it.
- In one of The Simpsons Halloween episodes Homer messes around with the time space continuum and changes evolution drastically, and finally comes back home thinking everything is normal... only to see everyone eating by using their long froglike tongues. He shrugs and decides it's close enough.
- Mr. Burns is shown to have a long snake-like tongue in the series.
- So has Homer. He once darted a lengthy tongue out to lick a stray gob of ice cream off Marge's cheek.
- It's a joke made also in the Simpsons Movie.
- Invader Zim.
- In Tex Avery's "Deputy Droopy", a hapless safe robber gets glued to the floor, then has a stick of TNT shoved in his gob. He stretches his tongue out two miles to allow it to explode without waking the sleeping sheriff.
- In Animaniacs, the first of Minerva Mink's many takes when she sees a male mink she's attracted to has her tongue making a huge pile on the ground.
- Dot Warner also extends her tongue to great lengths to try to get a pastry, even when it's wrapped around her.
- Mystique Sonia from Hero108
- In The Venture Bros. Christmas episode, The Krampus crashes Rusty's party. He starts licking Triana, to her horror.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Pinkie Pie extends her tongue longer than her body to slurp up a cake near the beginning of "Swarm of the Century".
- Spike's also got a pretty long one, which he combines with rapid spinning to clean frosting off of his body in "Lesson Zero".
- "Mom, may I please kill Cow?!"
- Marceline from Adventure Time has this in a few of her spontaneous monster transformations.
- Lemongrab is shown to have one in the cut scene where he's licking a rice cake. Finn and Princess Bubblegum are visibly puzzled, and a bit disturbed.
- Bubbie in The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, whose tongue is whatever length is required for the gag.
- Lord Stingray in Superjail! Possibly justified if he isn't human.
- Mr. Bogus has one, in regards of when food is involved.
- Tung from Dex Hamilton: Alien Entomologist, who has frog DNA. His tongue borders on being prehensile.
- The Secret Saturdays: Drew Monday, Drew Saturday's Mirror Universe Evil Twin, has a prehensile tongue.
- Gene Simmons.
- Anyone who's watched more than one episode of Gene Simmons Family Jewels knows Nick Simmons has inherited it; if Sophie has, she's not showing it off on television.
- Woodpeckers, some species of which have a tongue so long it actually loops up around their brain.
- Giraffes and their lesser known relatives, Okapis. In fact, an okapi's tongue is so long it uses it to wash its eyelids and clean out its ears (both inside and out) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhc67wopg40
- Nectar bats, at least one species of which has a tongue longer than its entire body.
- Certain bears◊, including Sun Bears, whose tongues can reach 30 cm.
- Buster Bloodvessel of Bad Manners.
- A few pornstars:
- Amber Rayne
- Keri Windsor
- Cindy James
- Angel Fire
- Larkin Love
- Several winners of the World's Ugliest Dog competition have been examples.