Mythical motifs are similar to Animal Motifs
, but with mythical creatures being used as symbols. They, like animals, can be used to underline something important in the plot or to convey a character's personality. A particularly tough and quick-tempered character may be compared to a dragon, or a MacGuffin
or delicate-but-powerful or wise character may be compared to a unicorn.
It can also be the use of mythology as a motif.
Here is a partial list of mythical creatures:
- Gorgon: Hideous monsters, causes people to turn to stone (from the Medusa myth)
- Hydra: Many headed creature, where if you cut off one head, two more grow in its place.*
- Pegasus (or winged horses in general): Freedom, high ideals, thought. Can be called "horse of the poets" thanks to his connection with Athena and the Muses, so is also linked with imagination, and writers in particular.
- Phoenix: A flaming bird capable of rising again from the ashes: Death and rebirth; fire; eternal life; (Eastern) female.
- Ouroboros: A serpent eating its own tail: Infinity, alchemy, death and rebirth; lives at the edge of the world or at its base
- Sphinx: Cunning, mystery, riddles, desires. Terribly mysterious.
- Unicorn: Purity, rarity, magic, power (which goes against tradition, 'cause in heraldry they are chained down because they're violent MFs). Usually the last of its kind. Often associated with virgins.
Anime and Manga
- In Mobile Suit Gundam, the Unicorn is the symbol of the Cool Ship White Base. Later on in life, Gundam pilot Amuro Ray adopts it as his own.
- Most of the guilds in Fairy Tail have a mythical motif in their name, including the titular Fairy Tail (fairies), Quatro Cerberos, Blue Pegasus, Lamia Scale, Grimoire Heart (Devils), Phantom Lord and recently Sabertooth and Mermaid Heel.
- Mayland Long (Oolong) from Tea With The Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy.
- Several characters in The Circus Of Doctor Lao.
- The dragon Smaug in The Hobbit.
- The Ordo Hydra, another conspiracy group, in the Inquistion War Trilogy by Ian Watson ( a series of Warhammer 40000 novels). They are a secret group in the already secret group of the Ordo Malleus who are already part of the "mostly ignored of by the general population" group, the Inquisition. They are really secretive.