"The beast devours magic and all things magical.
on the Thirdac, Aladdin
The Magic Eater is Exactly What It Says on the Tin
: a character that feeds on Magic
and/or magic users. If the main character(s) use magic, then the Magic Eater will present a clear threat to them.
Has shades of Anti-Magic
and Power Copying
Examples of this trope include:
open/close all folders
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- Disenchanters are blue, camel-like creatures that disenchant magical items to feed on the magic energy. They are somewhat infamous for their tendency to disenchant items the Dungeon Master feels are unbalancing the game.
- In the Planescape setting, Incantifers are former members of the Incanterium faction who have become beings of pure magic and must feed on energy from spells and magic items in order to survive.
- A monster called a xaren eats enchanted metal.
- Gnomes from Mage Life are this. Small and not especially sapient, they pose a threat to the magical society wherein the story takes place.
- Aladdin: The Animated Series: In his debut episode, Mozenrath summons a magic eater from Another Dimension, the Thirdac, to Earth with the intent of using it to conquer the world by weakening any and all magical defenses he encounters. To prevent the creature from attacking him, he kidnaps Genie and forces Aladdin and co. to help him place a control collar on the Thirdac to save Genie's life. Naturally, Aladdin turns the tables on Mozenrath and sets the Thirdac on him, forcing him to send it back to its world to avoid being eaten himself.