When something or someone is literally
made of magic, or at least an equivalent
This shouldn't be confused with Made of Phlebotinum
, where 'magic' makes the setting work at all (it does count if the setting itself
is made of magic). You may occasionally find someone to be Made Of Evil
Magic. A Place of Power
is usually Made of Magic
, as well as many supernatural beings
Creatures that are Made of Magic
may in fact be a Pure Magic Being
, or an Energy Being
, depending on whether the setting has more of a Science Fiction
or a Fantasy
flavor. In a Science Fantasy
setting, the creature might be both
. They may be an Implacable Man
Compare Pure Energy
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The entire Shinigami-world of Bleach is made from 'spirit particles', making those skills that rely on absorbing said particles many times more powerful. There's some fairly nifty scenes where you can see nearby walls and buildings slowly dissolving as the particles are absorbed and redirected into an attack...
- The Living Programs (including Wolkenritter and Materials) in the Lyrical Nanoha series are constructs made out of magical energy. Also, the Unison Devices are probably thus, too.
- The Magical World, and most residents in Mahou Sensei Negima!, are Made of Magic. This makes them vulnerable to beings able to manipulate their substance. (And gives the heroes a resistance since they're made of "mundane" matter.)
- Certain beings (phenomenons, individuals) in A Certain Magical Index are made of AIM-field. Most of the time they spontaneously come into existence. You can't have so many Espers (and Mages) living so close together, all practicing so much crazy powers, and not expect some feedback.
- The Servants (Heroic Spirits) in Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero are made of Mana, and will disappear when their Master can no longer channel Mana into them such as when Lancelot kills Kariya by overdraining the latter's Mana. A lesser version of this are the Homunculus such as Irisviel and her daughter Ilyasviel who are walking circuits of magic in the shape of human beings.
- In Dragon Ball, this is said to be the origin of Majin Buu, who was conjured into existence by an extremely powerful wizard named Bibidi.
Live Action TV
- The world of Exalted is the great grand master pimp-daddy of this trope, and takes it for all it's worth. Everything, from the lowliest mortal, to the Unconquered Sun, from the most solid center of Creation, to the pure chaos of the Wyld, is made of Essence.
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Outsiders are beings from Alternate Dimensions called the Outer Planes and are made from their respective magical birthplaces. Pre-4th edition, they were:
- Fiends as a whole are made from the lower planes, with Demons, Yugoloths, and Devils coming from the Abyss, Gray Waste, and Baator respectively.
- Angels and other celestial beings come from the upper planes, with Archons, Guardinals and Eladrin coming from Mount Celestia, Elysium, and Arborea respectively. Angels uniquely can come from any of the celestial planes, and have no infernal counterpart.
- Outside even the Outer Planes lies the Far Realm, which can be considered the home of Pure Alien magic.
- Living Spells, as the name suggests, are spells that have taken on a life of their own.
- Grisgols are made of magical items assembled as a humanoid body.
- Everything (save for Planeswalkers) in Magic: The Gathering. According to Wizards' Magi Babble, every card you play are Mana-based magical copies of beings existing on the other side of Blind Eternity. (Prior to this Retcon they were the real thing, summoned and enslaved by your might. Guess that made some players feel bad.)
- As more inclusive examples, angels and demons are manifestations of white and black mana respectively, and so are possibly other beings like archons.
- The Eldrazi are made of colorless mana, since the spirit dragon Ugin fed them his colorless Ghostfire to trap them in physical forms that could be sealed away. Prior to this, the Eldrazi were bodiless malevolent entities that wandered the Blind Eternities.
- Daemons in Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are composed of pure magic - the raw substance of Chaos itself.
- Ledgermayne, the Seventh Lord of Chaos from AdventureQuest Worlds, is a being of chaorrupted mana incarnate.
- Espers in Final Fantasy VI, which was a very bad thing since The Empire used them as weapons material.
- Every entity that exists in the UG in The World Ends with You is made of matter called Soul.
- In Valkyrie Profile games, the Valkyrie employ souls of dead warrior re-materialized in the world with Divine Materialization Energy. So while in the world, they are made of Divine magic. That this includes the Valkyrie is an important point in the game, beyond being able to heal her with things that heal materialized Einherjars.
- Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade featured Magic Elementals, who were Elemental Embodiments of magic.
- World of Warcraft has Anveena who is the human form of the Sunwell. The Sunwell is literally nothing BUT a mass of huge magical energy. It also serves as the key to allow Kil'jaeden and other Burning Legion nasties into the world, but Anveena was having none of this and killed herself to stop it all (the portal was already open at the time, her death would close it). After, an alien prophet used the spark of a dead Energy Being angel to 'revive' the Sunwell, but Anveena stayed 'dead'.
- Aku, the Big Bad of Samurai Jack, is made of a piece of the elemental chaos of the universe. Also, Jack's sword is made of the goodness of his father.
- In the Ben10 franchise, Mana is both Life Energy and the fuel for magic. There's a race of Energy Being called Anodites who are literally made of the stuff. So is the dimension known as Ledgerdomain, the Magical Land and Eldritch Location from which all magic in the Multiverse flows. It's the home of the Witch Species which spawned recurring villains Hex and Charmcaster. It's also home to the Alpha Rune, which is inscribed with the true name of magic itself, making its wielder nigh omnipotent, in or out of Ledgerdomain.