When something or someone is literally Made of Magic
, or at least an equivalent
Not to be confused with Made of Phlebotinum
, where 'magic' makes the setting work at all (it does count if the setting itself
is Made of Magic
). You may occasionally find someone to be Made Of Evil Magic
. A Place of Power
is usually Made of Magic
, as well as many supernatural beings
Creatures that are Made of Magic
may in fact be a Pure Magic Being
, or an Energy Being
, depending on whether the setting has more of a Science Fiction
or a Fantasy
flavor. In a Science Fantasy
setting, the creature might be both
. They may be an Implacable Man
Compare Pure Energy
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The entire Shinigami-world of Bleach is made from 'spirit particles', making those skills that rely on absorbing said particles many times more powerful. There's some fairly nifty scenes where you can see nearby walls and buildings slowly dissolving as the particles are absorbed and redirected into an attack...
- The Living Programs (including Wolkenritter and Materials) in the Lyrical Nanoha series are constructs made out of magical energy. Also, the Unison Devices are probably thus, too.
- The Magical World, and most residents in Mahou Sensei Negima!, are Made of Magic. This makes them vulnerable to beings able to manipulate their substance. (And gives the heroes a resistance since they're made of "mundane" matter.)
- Certain beings (phenomenons, individuals) in To Aru Majutsu no Index are made of AIM-field. Most of the time they spontaneously come into existence. You can't have so many Espers (and Mages) living so close together, all practicing so much crazy powers, and not expect some feedback.
- The Servants (Heroic Spirits) in Fate/stay night and Fate Zero are made of Mana, and will disappear when their Master can no longer channel Mana into them such as when Lancelot kills Kariya by overdraining the latter's Mana. A lesser version of this are the Homunculus such as Irisviel and her daughter Ilyasviel who are walking circuits of magic in the shape of human beings.
- In Dragon Ball, this is said to be the origin of Majin Buu, who was conjured into existence by an extremely powerful wizard named Bibidi.
Live Action TV
- The world of Exalted is the great grand master pimp-daddy of this trope, and takes it for all it's worth. Everything, from the lowliest mortal, to the Unconquered Sun, from the most solid center of Creation, to the pure chaos of the Wyld, is made of Essence.
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Outsiders are beings from Alternate Dimensions called the Outer Planes and are made from their respective magical birthplaces. Pre-4th edition, they were:
- Fiends as a whole are made from the lower planes, with Demons, Yugoloths, and Devils coming from the Abyss, Gray Waste, and Baator respectively.
- Angels and other celestial beings come from the upper planes, with Archons, Guardinals and Eladrin coming from Mount Celestia, Elysium, and Arborea respectively. Angels uniquely can come from any of the celestial planes, and have no infernal counterpart.
- Outside even the Outer Planes lies the Far Realm, which can be considered the home of Pure Alien magic.
- Living Spells, as the name suggests, are spells that have taken on a life of their own.
- Grisgols are made of magical items assembled as a humanoid body.
- Everything (save for Planeswalkers) in Magic: The Gathering. According to Wizards' Magi Babble, every card you play are Mana-based magical copies of beings existing on the other side of Blind Eternity. (Prior to this Retcon they were the real thing, summoned and enslaved by your might. Guess that made some players feel bad.)
- As more inclusive examples, angels and demons are manifestations of white and black mana respectively, and so are possibly other beings like archons.
- Aku, the Big Bad of Samurai Jack, is made of a piece of the elemental chaos of the universe. Also, Jack's sword is made of the goodness of his father.