A Magic Contract Comes with a Kiss
enter into a contract with a stronger being for protection or any other deal. But wait! What if they are required to enter into a contract using a kiss? Then, this is A Magic Contract Comes with a Kiss. This is a sister trope to Magic Contract Romance. Note: Whilst Magic Contract Romance is only when a romance is ensued between the contractee and the contractor, this trope is the kiss that initiates the contract. Know the difference. This is a subtrope of Magic Kiss.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The Familiar of Zero: It is standard procedure for a wizard to kiss their familar immediately after summoning them to seal the contract. Most of these familiars are non-human and so there is no romantic subtext. However, Louise is a void mage and they always summon human familiars, which leads to awkwardness when Saito appears in the summoning circle.
- In Mahou Sensei Negima!, because mages are generally vulnerable to attacks as they conjure their spells, they form 'Pactios' with a guardian they trust to protect them. The master is called the Magister Magi (Magistra Magi if female) and the servant a Minister Magi (Ministra Magi if female). The easiest way to form a 'Pactio' is through a kiss. Negi ends up making Provisional Pactios with about half of his class, although standard mage procedure is to select a single permanent Pactio partner later on - and it's stated that that is so because there's never been a mage with enough magical power to maintain more than one permanent Pactio bond (well, not yet anyway). It's pointed out that permanent Pactio partners very often end up getting married, so the contract generally carries a fair share of romantic subtext. It's also implied that there are other ways of forming a Pactio, but kissing is the most convenient way. The only alternative known is "open veins, swap blood", although the source of this being the only alternative is questionable.
- Alice and Oz of Pandora Hearts.
- In Sekirei, this is the method used by Ashikabis to 'wing' Sekireis.
- In Kamisama Kiss the contract between a god and a familiar is sealed with a kiss. Small surprise since it is a shojo manga.
- Rozen Maiden has the contract starting with "Swear to me on this rose ring..." After kissing the ring, it vanishes from the doll, and appears in human scale on the finger of newly made Medium.
- Villainous version in Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas. Upon finding Alone and recognizing him as the human avatar of King Hades, the mysterious Pandora marks him with a kiss, sealing his destiny.
- Inverted in Date A Live. If Shido kisses a Spirit he seals their powers, which cause them to be hunted just for existing . Him, and his organization do end up protecting them and help them live in the world.
- In most versions of Steel Angel Kurumi, the Steel Angels are awakened/activated with a kiss, which causes them to immediately fall in love with the kisser and attach themselves to him/her as protectors. And stalkers.
- Invoked in Majo No Shinzou by Lumiere, when Mika contracts her to be her familiar. Much to Mika's consternation. He's lucky she's such a nice girl who don't want to hurt him, or else she turned him into dragon steak.
- In Shinmai Maou no Testament, a Master/Servant contract is sealed by having the Servant kiss a magical symbol that appears on the Master. If the Servant chickens out and refuses to do it, he or she will suffer a curse until he or she relents.
- Amagi Brilliant Park: Royalty of magical worlds have this as their power. Seiya gets the power to read anyone's mind, with the limit of one use per person.
- A lot of fairy tales feature a magical contract being enacted because of a simple kiss. Where did you think the saying, "sealed with a kiss" came from in the first place?
- In Doctrine of Labyrinths, when Felix puts the binding-by-forms on Mildmay, it's sealed with a kiss—which he doesn't warn Mildmay about first. When Mildmay reacts with shock, Felix just tells him he would probably prefer it to the alternative. It really doesn't help that Felix has a crush on Mildmay, which is frustrated by both Incompatible Orientation and the fact that they're brothers.
- In Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files, it is the kiss that seals the marriage bond — which has magical implications.
- Harry taking the position of Winter Knight is sealed by Mab having sex with him.
Live Action TV
- In Supernatural, this is how you make a deal with a demon. And no, it's not always with an attractive woman.
Bobby: Why'd you have to take a picture!?Crowley: Why'd you have to use tongue?
- Parodied mercilessly when it's discovered that Bobby made a deal with Crowley, a demon who's been helping them. When Sam asks if they kissed, Bobby denies it, at which point Crowley clears his throat and shows the latest picture on his camera.
- The Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode Soultaker: The titular angel of death (Played by Joe Estevez) tries to make the heroine join him in the afterlife, claiming she can do so with a kiss.
Mike: "Oh, no, Joe's improving this!"
- Invoked briefly in Umineko no Naku Koro ni, when Beatrice mentions that to borrow a demon's power, weak witches have to kiss… its butt, as a vow of submission. We never see it verified though (Beato probably invented the whole thing anyway).