In fantasy based fiction, it is a recurring feature that mages would summon a familiar
, usually a demon or an owl. But wait! What if the being they entered a Magically Binding Contract
with is a humanoid or of their same species and at least one party develops romantic interest in the other? Then, this is a Magic Contract Romance
. In many cases, the contract between the contractor and his/her contractee would also grant greater spiritual bonds between them, often furthering their relations with one another—often romantic feelings. In many cases, weaker heroes would also enter into a contract
with a stronger being for protection.
A common plot regarding this trope would usually involve the breaking down of the contract—forcing the couple apart— in order to test the two's strength of their love.
of Rescue Romance
and Magically Binding Contract
, the contractor and the being they summoned would generally admire the qualities of one and other as they travel through a journey between life and death, gradually till they fall in love. If the contracted being was originally disgusted
by the weakness of his/her contractor, then the protagonist would usually gain
affection of his/her contractee through bravery, his/her inner kindness or other inner qualities.This trope is common in both anime and manga. When this trope is present, expect a lot of action. Why in the world would one summon a guardian unless in grave danger? Note, if the contractor is as powerful as his/her contractee or increased his power
then this trope will usually lead to a Battle Couple
See also, the sister trope: A Magic Contract Comes with a Kiss
, Merlin and Nimue
, and Bodyguard Crush
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Relative Heroes in The DCU, superheroine Allure was enchanted by the god Eryx with mystic pheromones and other powers of persuasion in return for her hand in marriage.
- In Codex Alera the Marat bond with an animal, gaining the ability to communicate with it and acquiring some of its abilities, e.g. Dorogo, bound to an immensely strong gargant (giant ground sloth) is even stronger than he looks. Kitai bonds with Tavi, which doesn't seem to do much until he finally comes into his Furies, at which point she can use them too.
- In the WarCraft universe, it is implied that this can happen with a warlock and his/her succubus. The succubus will often grow attached to her master, even to the point of being uncontrollably in love with him or her, though the succubus is prone to fits of jealousy.
- In Disgaea 2, Adell and Rozalin end up falling for each other after Adell accidentally summons her while trying to summon her father. Though technically, she WAS the one they attempted to summon, considering the target was the Overlord, which she actually is, even if she can't remember it.
- In Duel Savior Destiny Rico and Taiga enter one of these in her route. Though they've already entered the contract before that through fun times for Taiga, it's not really a romance until then.
- Often possible in the Summon Night games.
- Shirou and Saber from Fate/stay night.
- Shiki and Len from Tsukihime. As a Really 700 Years Old familiar without a master, Len needs to form a contract with someone to survive, and Shiki agrees to do so. It just so happens that the most convenient way to do so is through sex (Len being part-succubus might have something to do with that). There isn't suggested to be much actual romance between the two: Len is certainly fond of Shiki afterward, but Shiki doesn't seem to consider her a romantic partner.
- In Demonbane, this sort of dynamic rises between Al Azif and Kurou Daijuuji. It's noted to be extremely rare: a sorceror needs a grimoire bound to him to be considered a true sorceror, and a grimoire has very limited power without a master. Usually, the grimoires and sorcerors treat each other as tools for their respective purposes, but Kurou treats Al like an actual person, which throws her for a loop and causes her to fall in love with him. Whether he reciprocates depends on the route. Curiously, the only other major grimoire character is also in love with her master, but he doesn't reciprocate at all, being pretty much incapable of love or affection in any form. Until they are both dead, after getting smacked with The Power of Love courtesy of Al and Kurou.
- Nancy and David from Ow, my sanity.
- Also Kit and Nigel from Feywinds'. He's forced to follow her through orders of his last master because she's the embodiment of an all powerful god-like thing...well, a golem really.. making her his new master...yeah.