"I will not get upset over men, but instead be poised and cool ice-queen."
Much like a Tomboy
, the Ice Queen is a major character archetype, and yet is a nebulous concept. The Ice Queen is a woman who is cold, in any or all of the possible interpretations of what "cold" means. She has a cold heart, and a frosty demeanor. The name is often used as an insult, particularly by scorned men
. Due to the Double Standard
, the Ice Queen is (almost) Always Female
The Ice Queen is unapproachable by a sane man, as she will simply tear out his heart. The term can also be used in a non-romantic sense for a woman who rejects the normally close society of women, and prefers to be a loner
. Very often subjected to defrosting
An Ice Queen requires at least one personality trait that gets her labeled as an Ice Queen. There are many different flavors; the following are some of them:
- Alpha Bitch: Usually considered popular, but sometimes the Alpha Bitch only thinks she's popular, and the adoration she perceives is actually fear of the wrath of the Ice Queen.
- The Baroness: Cold, ruthless and utterly sadistic inside, no matter how warm and soft she may appear. Don't get on her bad side if you value your life.
- Broken Bird: She's varyingly cold, but broken inside and actually afraid of being hurt again.
- Deadpan Snarker: Let the insults fly, this Ice Queen will cut anyone's ego down to size.
- Stepford Snarker: When she hides a hurt interior by being snarky
- Defrosting Ice Queen: A former Ice Queen whose cold heart is in the process of being melted.
- Emotionless Girl: A common version of the Ice Queen is to be emotionless, whether figuratively or literally. If she really is dead inside, maybe someone can revive her inner warmth.
- Iron Lady: A non-royal woman in politics must show she's tougher and smarter than her male rivals.
- Jerkass: She's just a jerk, plain and simple.
- Jerkass Woobie: She's a sympathetic jerk.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She means well in the end, a common subversion
- Loners Are Freaks: What kind of girl doesn't want to go shopping, hang out at the mall, and have girltalk about boyfriends?
- Rich Bitch: So much money. So little soul.
- The Snark Knight: Her outer coldness and cynicism coexists with a rooted set of morals. A less common subversion.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: This subtrope of Tsundere is more commonly seen as an icy personality.
- Tsundere: At times, a Tsundere can be perceived like this by other people
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: Sometimes life requires a woman become an Ice Queen, regardless of what she'd prefer. Royal duty demands it of you.
This is the supertrope for all the "frosty women" subtypes. No examples please, instead place examples in the different subtropes. If we don't have a specific subtrope, then feel free to help us create one for it.