character is one who, while not necessarily being shy, is still far from the most social person you will ever meet. They prefer working alone
, or, if they have to work with others, prefer small groups, and probably will not be the leader. They're often portrayed as more intellectual than their more extroverted counterparts, though this isn't always the case. Also, while they're less likely to actually show their emotions, they probably feel just as much as said extroverted counterparts (which can result in some very withering rants
if they're pushed too far).
The short version: An introvert gains energy by being alone, and expends it by being in large groups of people. They tend to be either melancholic or phlegmatic II
and the Blue Oni
Compare Solitary Tropes
and Shyness Tropes
. Contrast Extraversion Tropes
. For the Trope Maker
and Trope Codifier
, see Carl Jung
Tropes associated with Introverts:
- Absent-Minded Professor: He's brilliant yet he pays little thought to the world around him, including his people skills.
- Aloof Ally: That person who's on your team but does not seem too keen on working with or getting attached to anybody on the team.
- Aloof Big Brother: He's social towards everyone except his younger sibling.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's tall, beautiful, dark-haired, and admired by many but is distant and doesn't associate with people much.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- City in a Bottle
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?
- Emotionless Girl: That girl who rarely if ever emotes, which hampers her ability to form attachments with others.
- Friendless Background when by choice
- Hates Small Talk: This person isn't too keen on causal conversation.
- The Hermit
- Hidden Elf Village: An entire community of people who decided to isolate themselves from the rest of the world.
- Hikikomori: This person shuts themselves away from the world due to anxiety or lack of social skills.
- I Work Alone
- Ice Queen
- Ineffectual Loner: When introversion gets you nowhere in life.
- I'm Not Here to Make Friends
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Being smart prevents you from relating to other people from your peer group, which in turn makes it very hard to make friends.
- Leave Me Alone!
- Loners Are Freaks: When preferring to be alone earns you suspicion and criticism.
- Loners Will Stay Alone
- Mad Mathematician
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: Since Loners Are Freaks, he's assumed to be evil because he has no friends but he's actually quite harmless once you get to know him.
- Mr. Imagination: They tend to get so caught up in their imaginary world that they neglect the real world and real people.
- No Social Skills: The often leading cause of introversion.
- The Quiet One: They don't say much, often tend to not get involved in conversations with others.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Probably not a good idea to treat this person as an easy target, they may be more dangerous than you think.
- Rant-Inducing Slight
- Reclusive Artist: Keeps to themself despite being a renowned artist.
- Seriously Scruffy: When a character doesn't go out and interact with people enough to warrant being clean shaven.
- Shrinking Violet: This person is severely lacking in both social skills and confidence.
- The Shut-In: The character almost never leaves their house for any number of reasons, many being involuntary.
- Small, Secluded World
- The Snark Knight
- The Spock
- The Stoic
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Appearing cold in personality when actually being a sweetheart tends to alienate people from you.
- Troubled Fetal Position
- Used to Be More Social
- The Wonka
- Zen Survivor