- A Growing Affection: Nagato admits to Naruto that the main reason he is helping Gouki is because if Gouki succeeds in becoming ruler of the continent, he will have the right and authority to forgive Nagato for failing to protect Yahiko and the original Akatsuki. Naruto, who knows (thanks to Ino's Mand Transfer and Kakashi's deductive reasoning) that each Path of Pein contains part of the mind and soul of the original person, asks "What about Yahiko? Does he forgive you? Does he have the right to forgive you?"
- Evangelion 303: In chapter 12 Asuka is arguing heatedly with her subconscious:
Asuka: Nobody understands what I’m going through!
Asuka: Do YOU understand?
- Scar Tissue:
- Ritsuko is telling Misato how Shinji and Asuka’s health was recovering quickly after several months of deterioration:
Misato: "So what you're saying is that they're good for each other? I wish I could believe that, I really do Ritsu, but Asuka almost killed Shinji, with her bare hands, for touching her. She broke his fingers that time, too, I guarantee it."
Ritsuko: "Dislocated. She dislocated one of his fingers, she didn't break both."
Misato: "It doesn't matter! If they're so good for each other's health, how come this happened!? How come they've both been wasting away all this time?!"
Ritsuko: "How should I know? I'm not their guardian, I'm their doctor."
- Rei returns and tells Shinji that she will protect him from Asuka from now on. Shinji replies that whatever goes between Asuka and him is their concern and he does not like when someone else try to meddle. When she insists his safety is HER concern, he angrily retorts:
Shinji: “Then where the fuck were you!”
- Asuka later also uses this line during their fight.
- A Boy A Girl And A Dog The Leithian Script: In this The Silmarillion fanfic:
- To a Feanorian kinslayer after he hit her:
Maiwe: Your answer is the same as ever was, to them that refuse your tyranny — hard word, and harder hand. Was that not how it befell your own King at high Formenos, my kinsman?
- Beren to Aegnor after the latter tried to give him a hard time:
Beren: I'm sure it was more complicated than just family, but even with there not being all that many places to go, after the Sudden Flame, the thing I'm wondering is, if maybe you feel a bit guilty, since maybe you all being so tight with that crew had something to do with Finrod giving them such a warm welcome, if it was partly for your sake. —Just going on how things were in Dorthonion after it started getting bad, and the way people react, how it isn't all just what's the most reasonable thing to do.
Steward: A most interesting question. —Is that the case, I wonder?
Aegnor: [glowering] I do not choose to answer your unworthy speculations.
Steward: I believe that you have quite well, your Highness.
- Elenwe to Amarië as they are listening to the bit about Finrod’s doom:
Elenwe: [to Amarie, puzzled] Art thou not much wrung, for thought of thy consort's fate?
Amarie: [coldly] His own fate, he did him choose.
Elenwe: Thou answerest not. —Why?
Amarie: [sharp] Wherefore I answer not unto thee, kinswoman.
Elenwe: Again thou answerest not.
- In Alternative Gods, a Death Note Cyber Punk AU Light and L have an arrangement where L is killing criminals for him, but L does not really approve and is trying to get Light to reconsider:
L: How does Light-kun feel about death? Death, Light-kun. What is it like to die?
Light: I don't know, I haven't died yet.
L: This is a lie.
Light: (laughing): So I'm dead?
L: Mostly, yes.
L: Let me ask it another way then, is Light-kun a God?
L: But before you became a God, you were just a man. As a man, you have died, and now you are a God. So I am asking Light-kun what it is like to die.
- An Alternate Keitaro Urashima: When the Hinata Girls are trying to convince Keitaro to come run the Inn, Keitaro asks Shinobu if she thinks it's right to force somebody to do something against their will. Though he extends this question to the rest of them afterwards, Shinobi is the only one seriously shaken by it, leading to her Character Development.
- Earlier on, the girls suggest beating up Keitaro if he tries to kick them out of the inn. When Shinobu asks if they'd do the same if it was a woman who was kicking them out, all of them fall silent.
- During the first encounter in Yognapped between Sben and Griefer Alpha, the former constantly interrupts the latter's request for an alliance with taunts and cold derision. Frustrated, Griefer Alpha asks him about his reasons for waging war, which causes Sben to immediately lose all bravado because he's forgotten the answer.
Griefer Alpha: "You heard me, Sben. What motivated you to form Ironstorm in the first place? WHY do you want to destroy Minecraftia?"
- In A Pikachu in Love, when Pikachu is telling Pichi about his life with Ash and how he'll always be a trainer, Pichi asks Pikachu if he wants to be a sports Pokemon all his life. Though it stuns Pikachu for a few seconds while he tries to think of an answer, he eventually decides to leave it up to the future. Though, later on, he eventually starts asking this question to himself when he realizes Ash won't be young and a trainer forever...
- A Protector's Pride: Zangetsu uses this as a indirect Quit Your Whining / Trickster Mentor question to Ichigo.
"What makes a person a monster?"
- In "Boys Do Tankary", Vincent does this to Maho, although he and the author don't seem to understand that Maho is putting on a Jerkass Façade and is striving to be a perfect heiress for Miho's sake.
Vincent: "Is it true that you have failed to see what is most important to you?"
Vincent: "Then why have you pushed your sister so far away? You know nothing about true family."
- Children of Time is absolutely full of these, thanks to it being a characterization-heavy series that develops Sherlock Holmes into a Darker and Edgier person, as well as touching several times upon the Doctor's past and darker side.
- On their very first adventure together, Holmes is on his Hiatus, and the Doctor has just lost Rose Tyler and spent Christmas with Donna Noble. And when the Time War enters the equation, Holmes tries to get the Doctor to open up: “It is not my wish to distress you, my dear sir, and I am all too aware that there is a great deal more to this than you would wish to divulge. But I ask you, Doctor: how I am to aid you effectively if you will not confide in me?”
- “What did he tell you, I wonder, of the Last Great Time War? Did he tell you of the battles he waged? ... He told you none of this, did he?"
- “Ah, so is this truly about me, or is it about yourself, Holmes — as usual? Are we truly speaking of your concern for my wellbeing, or your own selfishness?
- Holmes later quotes this question of Moriarty's: "Of the two of us, which is truly the more reprehensible: the man who never had neither friends nor a heart, or the man who had both and sold both away in a childish desire to avoid emotional pain?"
- Death Note Equestria: When Twilight sets up Sunny Days to die as part of a plot to clear her own name, Byuk asks Twilight what she did to deserve to die. Twilight's weak excuse causes her to face the fact that she's been killing innocents, as opposed to her original plan of just killing criminals, and she has a miniature breakdown before composing herself.
- Danzo asks one of Kurenai in Danzo's Team after she insists Team 7 isn't ready for the Chuunin Exams.
Danzo: "Where are your reports?"
Danzo: "The reports you must have written about your observations and analysis of Team 7 that would make you more qualified than their commanding officer to judge what they're capable of."
- In Dirty Sympathy Phoenix is trying to convince Apollo that the public would trust him and Klavier for the Vera Misham and look up to them, Apollo responds with this:
Phoenix: The public loves you both already, you know.
Apollo': Like they used to feel about you and Miles Edgeworth.
- When Trucy is trying to motivate Apollo into working harder for Vera Misham and trying to call out his treatment of the case.
It's different! You ignored Wocky because of the dumb stuff
he said and that was fine. You're ignoring Vera because she's easy
to ignore. And you
of all people should know what that's like -
- This nearly ends up backfiring as it nearly sends Apollo into a Heroic BSOD instead of motivating to get his act together.
- In Don't Blink, the Doctor is wrongly suspected of murdering a man at one point. He briefly freezes up during an interrogation by a police officer when the officer asks him out of the blue "Are you a killer?", as the question causes him to flash back to his actions during the Time War.
- Escape from under the Hokage's hat has Kakashi on the receiving end of a couple for teaching Sasuke way more than Naruto and Sakura. To elaborate he only taught Naruto and Sakura ONE skill yet focused more on Sasuke.
Sakura : (Kakashi indiectly calls her weak in front of Jiraiya and Team 8 while she points out he abandoned training her) "What part of Those who abandon their allies are worse than trash do you believe?"
Jiraiya (On why he didn't teach Naruto ANYTHING) : "You didn't want to teach him (Naruto) anything that would've pissed off the Uchiha right?"
- In ''Frozen Hearts, when Hans' brother Heins is talking with Kristoff, who doesn't trust Hans because of what he did, Hans' brother Heins asks this question about Hans. The person being asked the question is forced to admit to never having officially met Hans, and becomes slightly more receptive to what Heins has to say about Hans.
Heins: … how long have you known him?
- Twilight Sparkle manages to do this to Prince Blueblood in Getting Back on Your Hooves during a "The Reason You Suck" Speech. After explaning how Celestia and Luna seek such a close relationship with their subjects, a stark contrast to the self obcessed, high and mighty Blueblood, she asks him a question that, for once, actually makes him think about his actions. When we see him again, he approaches Applejack and apologies to her for being so rude to her at the Gala, implying it stuck.
Twilight Sparkle: If they're the highest royalty in the land, Blueblood, what does that say about how you behave when you're so much lower than they are?
- Many of the Original Characters in the Ben 10 fanfic series Hero High: Sphinx Academy which often has Reality Ensues deconstructs Ben's view of seeing himself as a comic book logic of the ways of a super hero and show that War Is Hell and Grey and Grey Morality.
- Word of God states that he did this so as to link as to why Ben is so cold in the Time Skip episode in the series.
- In Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, the Sorting Hat tries to deliver one to Harry: "What happens if you fail?" But even though it goes on to spell out the answer, Harry still refuses to hear it.
- Hogyoku Ex Machina: Ichigo has traveled back in time (to the end of the Soul Society Arc) from near the end of the Deicide Arc. Ishida is more then a little disturbed by Future/Ichigo's vehement desire to kill Aizen, wondering what happened to turn him:
"Kurosaki. When did this become some kind of grudge match between you two?!
- There have been quite a few of these in Kitsune no Ken: Fist of the Fox so far.
- One of the earliest ones comes from Naruto when Kiba tries to fight him, ostensibly to restore Hinata's honor after her Accidental Kiss with Naruto sometime earlier. Fueling Kiba's anger is the fact that, earlier that very day, Hinata had rejected (albeit as kindly as she could) his own love confession. Naruto's response to Kiba's increased efforts to fight him gets Kiba to stop and think.
Naruto: What was Hinata's opinion?
- Later on, Hinata herself gives one to Ino, who's angry that Naruto is showing interest in Sakura instead of Hinata, when Ino has been trying to get the two together. Not only does Hinata reveal that she doesn't mind Naruto checking out other girls (since they're both taking the relationship slow by mutual consent), but her next question leaves Ino stammering (because she's got a personal quarrel with Sakura, which was another factor in her anger).
Hinata: Are you angry solely because Naruto-kun has shown a crush on someone other than me...or is it because the someone in question is Sakura-san?
- Kushina attempts to give one to Naruto in Eroninja about how he can possibly love the Kyuubi after what she did, only for Naruto to calmly turn it back on her.
Naruto: "Can't you see how she felt?"
Kushina: "How she felt?! After what she did?! She-"
Naruto: "Was a prisoner."
* Stunned Silence*
Naruto: "She was sealed away for almost a hundred years and when she finally got free, one of the first things she saw was you and dad trying to imprison her all over again."
- In the Total Drama story, Legacy, Courtney rants about her unfair elimination and thoughtlessly says that she should have been kept on instead of the recently murdered Gwen. Noah shuts her up by saying, "She would be here. Alive. And you?"
- In The Legend of Total Drama Island, the normally self-effacing Beth defuses an impending No-Holds-Barred Beatdown when she asks, "Hasn't there been enough blood today?" Coming on the heels of a challenge where an intern and a contestant were lost in separate incidents, Beth's question stops everyone in their tracks.
- In Making Uzumaki Naruto asks several of Kakashi after the latter explains why he won't help Rari, Kuri, and Mou become Konoha ninja (their clan was responsible for Rin's death).
Naruto: "You must really hate me, don't you Kakashi-sensei?"
Kakashi: "What? How could you ever think that!"
Naruto: "The Kyuubi. It took your sensei from you so you must hate me."
Kakashi: "No! How could you ever think that?"
Naruto: Well, it's the same isn't it? I mean Mou, Rari, Kuri, yeah, I get it their clan are a giant sack of dicks who did something really horrible, but were they even born yet? Even if they were, how is it their fault, they were just babies!"
- In Marching Orders by Gray Matter, Xander has chewed Buffy out for trying to feed the then-rogue Faith to Angel as part of a cure for a magicla poison, saying that the truth was, Angel was a monster, and you never intentionally fed people to monsters, even the evil people. Later, Buffy tries to justify her actions to Oz, saying that it was Angel, and she'd have done anything to save him because she loved him. Oz thinks about it for a minute, points Willow out to Buffy, and asks the question that stops Buffy cold: "What if it was witch's blood that was the the cure and not slayer blood?"
- In My Little Denarians, Fluttershy does this to Fallen-possessed Rarity. She asks Demon-Rarity, despite her lightning powers, mind-control abilities, and a freaking lightsaber:
Fluttershy: Why haven't you killed me yet?
- In one Naruto story, Naruto goes to a group of older kunoichi for advice on his date with Hinata. When they start going on about the new clothes he'll have to buy along with making reservations at a fancy restaurant and buying flowers, Naruto promptly shuts them up with three words:
Naruto: "With what money?"
Naruto: "In case you've forgotten, I'm currently supporting three people on Genin pay. Not to mention that for the past two months I was either participating in the Chuunin Exams or searching for Tsunade, neither of which I got paid for."
- Naruto: Asunder:
Kakashi: "You broke the deal! You were supposed to have him for 3 years and then I would take over!"
Jiraiya: "That's because you didn't hold up your end."
Jiraiya: "I left Naruto to you so you could build up his basics but you were too busy giving the Uchiha prick everything he wanted instead of helping the rest of Team 7."
Kakashi: "B..B..But! You're pushing him too hard in his development!"
Jiraiya: "Bullshit. The brat burned through everything I planned to teach so I had to do more. The Akatsuki is after him! Would you prefer I keep him weak so you can have your desire to train him?"
Kakashi: "... (solemn) Still I wanted to teach him about his elemental affinity. "
Jiraiya: "Well too bad. You had your chance and you pissed it away. Oh and another thing, why did you want to train him?"
Kakashi: "He's sensei's son."
Jiraiya: (scowls) "That's your problem! You see him as something other than who he is! You see the Yondaime's (4th's) son, the villagers see him as a demon! I see him as a cocky if somewhat determined and loyal blonde! Seriously, if he wasn't Minato's son would you even be training him?"
- Naruto in NBH cuts off the Kyuubi's Motive Rant about not being some "nameless, pathetic little spirit" by calmly asking, "What is your name then?"
- In Necessary To Win, there are a few, often delivered by Miho herself
- In Nodoka's Interlude, Miho and Nodoka discuss Nodoka's decision to try to convince her father to let her stay at Oarai if she wins the tournament. In the course of telling her story, Nodoka realizes that she has passively gone along with everything her father has asked her to do, in spite of how unhappy it has made her, until now, and Miho's question helps change that.
Nodoka: "All my life, I've been doing everything my parents have told me to do. Tankery is the one exception, but now that I think about it, while my father doesn't like it, he has never actually told me to stop."
Miho "Would you stop if he told you to do so?"
Miho: "I thought not. There are some things we simply must do, no matter who opposes us. I may not be the strongest-willed or bravest person in the world, but even I have realized this."
- Just before the finals, Teru approaches Miho to ask if Saki is still on the team. Miho's question, while simple, forces Teru to ask herself why she has not talked with Saki about many things.
Miho: "Why don't you ask her yourself, Teru-san?"
- On the Shoulders of Giants: "What exactly is a soul, and what is it good for?" Not as Earth-shaking as some of the examples on this page, but philosophers and religious leaders the world over had to think long and hard about how to answer it.
- Perfection Is Overrated
- Mariko, opposing the rest of the SUEs' plan to reshape the world, tries this, but The Usurper responds with his own Armor-Piercing Questions to argue that she depends on her powers as much as the rest of the SUEs do.
Mariko: "But what makes you think that you're much better than they are to make that decision? And if they make mistakes, shouldn't they at least be their mistakes, and shouldn't they earn the negative and positive consequences of their actions?"
The Usurper: "Have you ever considered, Mariko, how much you have earned yourself? What if everything you ever had- your beauty, your grades, your maturity, your popularity and everything else- were given to you by someone else, for the sake of using you to enter another world and sway it to that person's will?"
Mariko: "Th-that's impossible. After Mother and Father died, life was often difficult, even with the wealth they left behind. I had to try hard to get by after that, and if I have many things, it's because I earned them!"
The Usurper: "Tell me, Mariko, can you recall a time when a person disliked or disagreed with you?"
- She does this more successfully, albeit with the help of her powers, once the SUEs set out.
Mariko: "The question we should be asking ourselves, more than how we plan to go about doing this, is should we be trying this?"
Shizune: "What do you mean, Suou-san?"
Mariko: "In order to win, we must potentially sacrifice 10 more innocent victims, while potentially giving up our own lives, as well as the lives of those we cherish the most. And for what? Do our goals mean so much to us that we'd risk everything and cause harm to others for them?"
- In the main story, Yukino asks one of Shizuru, when proposing that the rest of the student council be informed about what is going on. She says that although they may not have powers, their help may prove necessary. Yukino asks this question that causes Shizuru to reflect on what she did for Natsuki before she realized she was also a Hime, and then goes on to say that Haruka's determination may be what they need to face the SUEs.
Yukino: And, what would you do if, for example, Kuga-san were a Hime and you were not?"
- Toward the end of the story.
Natsuki: I have to wonder- was this the moment I've been hoping and working toward all those years? Everyone involved with my mother's death is now dead. They deserved it for serving the Obsidian Lord, even if I did not have a more personal grudge against them. But my mother is still dead, and this triumph seems hollow, and I'm not sure if I got what I wanted in the end.
Nao: What do you want, Natsuki?
- In the Pony POV Series, the Dark World Series is fond of this:
- A large part of the Father of All Alicorns' dialog to Liarjack consists of these. Justified, as Applebloom got his help in the first place to break Discord's control on Liarjack and reform her into Applejack.
- Rarity gives one to Rainbow Dash to snap her out of her Heel-Face Turn-induced Heroic BSOD, asking her the one question Discord hasn't let her ask herself for a thousand years.
Rarity: Dash… we all have a choice…Ours is to save the world… I've chosen to want you back as my friend… But what do YOU want to do?
- Rainbow Dash later returns the favor after ripping out her own Element to snap Rarity out of her own self-delusion. Also a Call Back to Rarity trying to forcibly take it when Rainbow was suicidal.
Rainbow Dash: Not so hot when you have to do it the dirty and ugly way is it?
- Twilight delivers one to the rest of the Dark World!Mane Cast to make them realize that attacking a defenseless, mortally wounded Discord was wrong.
Twilight: What does hurting a monster who's already dying and no longer a threat to anything DO? Payback? Retribution?
- Discord manages to do this to himself by proxy of asking the question to Twilight and hearing her answer, making him realize there's one choice he can make to stop Nightmare Paradox's "Groundhog Day" Loop plan.
Discord: ...Twilight... what would you say if I said I never had a choice?
Twilight: ...I'd say you were wrong. You always have a choice.
Twilight: What are you?
- Back in the main timeline, at the climax of the Wedding Arc, Applejack gets a big one on Queen Cadenza (Alicorn!Chrysalis), making her realize the Elements of Harmony gave her a heart and beginning her final Villainous Breakdown.
Applejack: Ya say the Elements fixed ya so ya weren't half-baked? Tell me darlin', what so harmonious about a Alicorn who can't feel a thing for the ponies who love'er more than they love breathin'?!
- In Bond Fan Film Property Of A Lady, the new M gives a lecture about their duty to the crown, right after he’s shot one of the captured mooks to get the confession from the other. Eventually, it comes to this, foreshadowing that M is the real Big Bad:
: Once we give everything to the service, we become property of a lady.
We stay that way unless we get stolen.
Bond: Sir, were you stolen?
- Used by a therapist in the Ranma Fanfic Decode Chapter 11. Note unlike most examples this was done to help him.
"Do you have anything that's unrelated to martial arts that you're sure about? Just with life in general?"
- In the fic ''Rainbow in the Dark', Mecha delivers one to Rainbow Dash after the latter accuses her of being Brownie's girlfriend.
"If you don't have feelings for him, then why are you getting so defensive? And why are you acting jealous at the idea of him being with me? You wouldn't be doing this if you didn't have feelings for him. Admit it, you like him."
- In Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle fic Shatterheart, Kurogane does this twice on R!Syaoran's behalf.
Kurogane: Look. I know everyone's gone through a lot of shit since Tokyo, but you're really not helping anything by hiding out by yourself. You need to talk to him (Syaoran).
Sakura: This Syaoran—
Kurogane: Why do you have to call him that? Why does it have to be 'this Syaoran?' Why can't you just call him 'Syaoran?'
- To Fai, when he realizes that he's been horrible to Syaoran.
Fai: What does this Syaoran like?
Kurogane: Well for one, he'd like it if you'd drop the 'this Syaoran' bullshit and just called him by name.
- In Bleach fanfic Sight Sakanade rips Shinji a new one when Ichigo gets Shinji to talk to her for the first time in a century.
Sakanade: :You cannot hear me anymore! You can sense my presence within you but you cannot hear me! What good is a bond like that? You've completely shut me out after what happened! The Hollowfication was not my fault so why are you punishing me for it?!:
- In the Girls und Panzer fanfic, Steel Carnage, Asuka gives Momo a scathing "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Momo regarding her poor aiming skills (and to a degree, everyone else for not helping her improve), resulting in Miho and some of her teammates stepping up to defend her. Asuka asks Miho if she has faith in Momo, and when Miho says yes, Asuka asks whether Momo was on the gun during the match of the tournament. Given that Anzu had taken over the gun on the Hetzer at the midpoint of the previous battle, Miho is unable to respond, and later concedes that as harsh as Asuka is, she is correct.
- In System Restore, Sonia tries to call out Togami for being willing to sacrifice himself, but gets this in response. It becomes somewhat Harsher in Hindsight later on, when Sonia murders Pekoyama to prevent Koizumi's death and, in the revised version, mentions that she wants to get home to her people.
Sonia: This cannot be sensible in any situation!
Togami: Any situation? I’m surprised you’re reacting this way, Sonia Nevermind. As the princess of Novoselic, I would think that you, more than anyone, would understand. Under the right circumstances, wouldn’t you be willing to die for one of your people?
- Ryo from the Tamers Forever Series often uses friendly versions of these against Rika to covertly tease her about her relationship with Takato
- Chaos is on the receiving end of several from Takato and Ruki.
- In The Boy With The Magic Notebook, while during the Undersider's attack on the PRT headquarters, Lily asks one to Skitter that makes her pause. The next Interlude showed that she actually froze and had to stop everything to think about the question.
Lily: Didn't you want to be a good guy?
- When Ritsuko tries to explain in Thousand Shinji why Shinji's ideas for modifying the simulation program might be a bad idea Shinji stops her with a single question.
Ritsuko: "Increasing the strength, speed, and durability are fairly easy, but actual learning and the mutation factor would take quite a bit of time to program. Not only that, but if we increase the durability too much then the Angel could become immune to conventional weaponry even if you neutralize it's AT field."
Shinji: "And that would be unrealistic how Dr. Akagi?"
- In Uchiha Potter Harry delivers an epic one to a young Gaara:
Gaara: Existence can only be proven by being stronger and killing those stronger, their deaths make me stronger.
Harry: Once they're all dead, what will you do then?
Gaara: Stop... stop screwing around with my head!
Harry: I'm not. It's a simple question. Once you're the strongest, what will you do then? How can you prove your existence if all those who had once been 'strong' are dead?
- In the Katawa Shoujo fanfic Weekend at Hisao's, Hisao is having a phone conversation with Misha about a fight that he had had with Shizune earlier that day because he refused to go over to a party that his friends at his old school were planning that night, because Iwanako, the girl he confessed to, was going to be there. He explains that the reason he did not want to go was because he could not stand to be pitied by his old friends like he was after he had his heart attack, and he recalled them looking at him and Shizune with what seemed like pity. Misha responds with two of these questions:
Misha: Why didn't you tell any of your friends that you were going to be in town?
Misha: Are you ashamed of Shicchan?
- In Whispers Nightmare Moon attempts one of these, but Celestia shoots it down.
: "And what would father say, knowing that we... that you
used his gift to do this to me?"
Celestia: "Nothing. Father isn't here, Luna. He was never here."
- In With Strings Attached, the Hunter confesses to Paul that he's envious of the friendship between the four, and that his life, while rewarding and exciting, has left him without anyone he could trust with his soul. Paul then asks him a series of probing questions about whether he actually likes his life, ending with, “Don't you think if you were really keen on your life, four days with us wouldn't've made any difference?”
- In the final arc of Yu-Gi-Oh! Forever, after main character Yugo (Yugi's son) is angrily called out by Serenity and Yugi for making a two-edged deal with the Big Bad that will result in either his own death or the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians, all for the sake of trying to rescue Kaiba's mind-controlled son from said Big Bad, in despair Yugo asks his father one question:
Would you just stand by and do nothing while the bad guys took one of your closest friends away from you?
- Fridge Brilliance also kicks in to make the question more potent: in canon, Yugi refused to do that very same thing when Marik mind-controlled his friends.
- In Misunderstandings, a human named Peter Collins ends up in Equestria. A guard named Peppermint York has joined a conspiracy against him, thinking Peter is a dangerous monster although it is slightly understandable since Peter did seriously wound one of her subordinates, albeit accidentally. But each action the conspiracy takes against him only improves Peter's reputation. When the subordinate, Swift Wind, recovers and visits Peter for answers, York follows him. Even after seeing evidence of what Peter went through, York continues to ignore it and call Peter a monster. Swift Wind tells her off, saying that he has forgiven Peter for shooting him, and asks her:
"Why do you hate him so much?"
- York wordlessly flies away and admits to her role in the conspiracy.
- In the Star Trek: The Original Series fanfic Retribution, Spock gets Kirk to give up his self-blame about the harsh things he said by reminding Kirk that Kirk forgave him for much worse in a similar situation.
Kirk: Spock, you weren't in your right mind!
Spock: And today, Captain, today — were you?
- Hope On A Distant Mountain: Naegi has a natural knack for this. It helps that he's got extra insight on his classmates from his experiences in the Unwinnable Training Simulation, though the way they were portrayed there wasn't always accurate.
- In Chen's "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Yume Ni, she asks "If Reimu died, would you be happy then?!" and, earlier, in 20XXIV, she asks, "Is that what you want, to be quiet and act like everything is fine,while you stagger around in darkness, living in misery and sadness?" to Miko
- At one point in Origin Story, Wonder Man turns to Tony Stark and asks, “Why are we hunting this girl when she's done nothing wrong?” Tony has no better answer than "Because the law requires we do so."