, best known as Konnan
, is a Cuban
-born, American-based professional wrestler best known for his time working for both major lucha libre promotions in Mexico, CMLL
(the latter he helped co-found), and also known in the United States for his time in WCW
Starting as El Centurión in UWA, he later adopted the name Konnan el Barbaro in CMLL and quickly became a main event star after losing his mask in a moving story where his crying "brother" went to the ring to physically remove it; Konnan later became the first CMLL World Heavyweight Champion. After a falling out with the company, he and booker Antonio Peña started a new company, AAA. In AAA he further cemented his stardom while behind the scenes, he and Peña introduced future stars such as Rey Mysterio Jr
, and La Parka
In 1996, after several appearances for the company in the past several years, he became a full time performer for WCW. He portrayed a charismatic, urban character, often rapping and reciting catchphrase-laden promos. Behind the scenes, he became a liaison between WCW and AAA, again bringing wrestlers like Rey and La Parka to prominence. After WCW's demise, he later joined TNA, forming teams such as Latin American Xchange and 3Live Kru.
As usual, you can find the basics about his career at That Other Wiki
"Yo yo yo let me speak on dese tropes!":
- 10-Minute Retirement: Konnan's retirement match against Cien Caras drew 48,000 spectators into El Plaze de Toros bullring of Mexico City. Lose (which he did) or not, it was pretty obvious someone was going to get him to return some way or another.
- Arch-Enemy: Until the mid-2000s, Vampiro. He also is this to Cibernético in AAA.
- Arm Cannon: Max Moon had one that shot pyrotechnics during his entrance.
- Author Avatar: Eventually became a booker for AAA while working in WCW, making him this whenever he returned in any visible capacity to AAA shows during this period.
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: He would wear a one bandana over his head and another over his face in TNA. The sunglasses went along way in making this look less ridiculous and sort of cool, unlike when Mustafa Saed tried the look before him.
- Bald of Evil: Less so during his face runs, such as the 3live kru.
- Bash Brothers: With Jack Evans in real life.
- The Cast Show Off: Recorded a rap album in his early days and several raps for WCW and TNA. The fact he did the LAX theme allowed Homicide to take it to ROH(though they mixed it up a little anyway)
- Carpet of Virility: He's not excessively hair but after seeing him for so many years with shirts and or chest concealing ring gear, his chest hair caused some to double take.
- Catch Phrase: "Yo yo yo let me speak on dis! Orale! Arriba la Raza! We are los vatos locos forever, man! We bout it bout it (pronounced "Bowdy bowdy") and rowdy rowdy!"
- Cool Shades: He seemed to think so to keep wearing them so much
- Cool Mask: El Centurión and later, Max Moon.
- Combat Commentator: At the Spanish Announcers Table in TNA during his LAX run
- Crowbar Combatant: Konnan used a crowbar to hit Jessie James during a dog collar match on the first WWA show.
- Cyborg: As Max Moon
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune - Recorded the Filthy Animals and LAX themes (the latter is still used by LAX partner Homicide)
- Fingerless Gloves: When he was Konnan el Barbaro. In this case they contributed to his overall gaudy look.
- Finishing Move: Tequila Sunrise, One Eight Seven.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: An evil Mexican for a time, such as in LAX and true to the trope, Konnan is really of Cuban origin and his nationality is USA. For this reason he naturally became an evil foreigner in Mexico also, in fact leading an entire stable of them. He became so reviled in Puerto Rico he needed a police escort when coming to and exiting arenas.
- Gang Bangers: His most frequent gimmick in the continental US. He was also a gang banger in Miami before going to prison and then joining the USA Navy.
- Gangsta Rap: Which made him a natural fit with Ron Killings in TNA. BG James, not so much (he was probably in the group as a nod to when he teamed with K-kwick as the Road Dog).
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Toss my salad and peel my potatoes!" was often part of his weekly promos in WCW. Because the first half of the phrase is a popular euphemism for a sexual act, he added the second part to make it seem like a generic food analogy.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Wore a pair of tinted goggles while with the Filthy Animals in WCW.
- Harmless Electrocution: Played with when he tazed Brother Runt, who suffered no long term effects from it but was still something of a kick the dog for Konnan.
- Hidden Depths: Hardly anyone ever mentions it but in addition to wrestling he also won the California Middleweight Amateur Boxing Championship. He also took up competitive body building.
- I Have Many Names: El Centurion, El Electrico, Maximillion Moves, Max Moon, K-Dawg, Mexican Champion, Konnan. Born Carlos Santiago Espada Moises, legally known as Charles Ashenoff.
- Invincible Hero/Invincible Villain: Revealed in a 2001 interview with Canadian Slam Sports to be tropes Konnan despises, saying that not only could he not get a lot of guys in WCW to job, they wouldn't even give out a Hope Spot.
"I have seen The Rock
do more jobs than any other main event guy I've seen in my life and he stays on top. And even though Hunter
's gotten out of doing a lot of jobs, he's put a lot of people over, made a lot of people look good."
- Kid-Appeal Character: Of the ankle biter variety for a time in his CMLL run.
- Martial Arts Headband: Wore them when he lost his mask but still kept his hair grown out. One of them featured polka dots, it was an 80s thing that seemingly hadn't died out yet.
- Masked Luchador: Until he lost his mask to Perro Aguayo.
- Misplaced Retribution: He called out Carlos Colon, gave him his mantel and his hat, had a mariachi band come out to perform for his daugher, Stacy... and then bashed Stacy Colon in the head with one of their guitars to punish Carlito Colón for losing in a tag match. He hit Carlos too but Stacy had to be carried out on a stretcher.
- Nice Hat: The little crusher hat he sometimes wears, as seen in the page image. He had a giant "sombrero" in WWC.
- Not So Similar: When asked why he thought Lucha Underground would be successful when Victor Quiñones's efforts to bring lucha libre to the continental United States were not, Konnan argued that Quiñones was trying to pass off Puerto Rican wrestling as Mexican Lucha Libre, even though they are two different things and that he and the others working on Lucha Underground actually understand Lucha.
- Parts Unknown: Max Moon was from "The Future" or "Outer Space".
- Power Stable:
- (in WCW): the Dungeon of Doom
- (in AAA)
- He formed Los Gringos Locos with Love Machine Art Barr, Eddie Guerrero, Madonna's Boyfriend and Black Cat
- Konnan later lead La Legion Extranjera ("The Foreign Legion") (w/Loads and Loads of Characters).
- LAX evolved into one in TNA after taking in Super Mex Shawn Hernandez, Machete, Salinas and Héctor Guerrero. Nuevo Gran Apolo worked with them from time to time too.
- Power Trio: 3 Live Kru (With Ron Killings and BJ James) and LAX (With Apolo and Homicide) in TNA. Team TNA (With Samoa Joe and Ron Killings) in AAA.
- Prejudiced For Pecs: A trope he tends to avoid as a booker, which lead to a little culture clash in WCW with the "vanilla midget" mentality. Konnan freely admitted to not being very big for a wrestler and that Eddie Guerrero was even smaller but couldn't see what that mattered since Eddie was so popular.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Konnan el Barbaro wore lots of bright colors, including Pink. Max Moon also wore a lot of pink.
- Real Song Theme Tune
- Red Baron: "K-Dogg"
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Followed Antonio Peña out of CMLL to help establish AAA.
- So Proud of You: Of Prince Puma, who he came out to see after he became the first Lucha Underground Champion
- Tattooed Crook: Around his neck, though they're usually covered up, especially when he's not drawing on this gimmick.
- Traumatic Haircut: Defeated Jake The Snake Roberts in a hair vs hair match, getting a measure of revenge for Roberts almost forcing out of the business by interfering in Konnan's retirement match.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Especially in TNA.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: While he has very public gripes with Kevin Nash that started in the WCW days, they still get along quite well.