Dionicio Castellanos Torres
(b. 1971) is a Mexican Professional Wrestler
best known for his work in the 1990s in Mexico, Japan, ECW
. He started his career in 1989 as El Salvaje
. He changed his name to Psicosis and began his epic feud with Rey Mysterio Jr
. He would compete for AAA
(where he currently works) almost exclusively, while making a few appearances in New Japan Pro Wrestling
before he and Rey made their ECW debut at ECW Gangstas Paradise
. He made his PPV debut at AAA When Worlds Collide
teaming with Fuerza Guerrera and "Madonna's Boyfriend" Louie Spicolli in a win over Rey, Heavy Metal and Fuerza Guerrera.
He arrived in WCW in 1996 as Psychosis, debuting in a loss to Konnan
at WCW Clash of the Champions XXXII
on January 23. He continued his feud with Rey, making his WCW PPV debut in a loss to him at WCW Bash at the Beach
, and also feuded with Ultimo Dragon
- unfortunately for Psychosis he never beat Misterio on PPV and never once
beat Dragon during the feud note
. He had two reigns as WCW World Cruiserweight Champion
. For the second one, he was simply announced as Champion due to GLAAD's protests over Lenny Lane, the previous Champ, and Lodi's "West Hollywood Blondes" gimmick
. Psicosis promptly lost the belt a week later to Disco Inferno
WCW released him in early 2000 as the company was going through bad financial problems. He briefly returned to ECW where he had a famous and acclaimed match with Yoshihiro Tajiri
that aired on ECW's syndicated show and was included on the ECW Deep Impact
DVD. He would compete for WWAS, NWA-TNAnote
, All Japan Pro Wrestling
, AAA's rival CMLL
and other independents until arriving in WWE
in 2005 as a member of The Mexicools
with Juventud (Guerrera) and Super Crazy. The team would feud with the Blue World Order
as well as challenge for the Cruiserweight Title. Psicosis was released in October 2006 and would briefly return to CMLL until he suffered a shattered nose in a match with El Hijo del Santo. He returned to AAA in 2007 and has been there ever since.
Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former AAA World Tag Team Champion
(as Nicho el Millionario - see AAA Owns This Name below) and a 2x Mexican National Trios Champion
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Tropes asociados con Psicosis":
- AAA Owns This Name: Much like La Parka, he was forced to change his name, in his case to Nicho el Millionario, because, in his absence, AAA had created a second Psicosis.
- Always Someone Better: Outside Mexico, he rarely beat Misterio, although inside it the feud was more even. Justified, since a lot of their matches were designed to introduce fans outside Mexico to the Lucha Libre style, and Misterio had the cooler looking high spots.
- Arch-Enemy: Rey Mysterio Jr. From the time they both debuted in wrestling until Psicosis got fired from WWE. Ultimo Dragon supplanted Rey Jr as his most hated enemy in 97 and 98.
- Ax-Crazy: One of his signature moves was diving straight over the top rope, head first.
- Bash Brothers: Joe Lider, Halloween (WCW's Ciclope), La Parka, Super Crazy, Juventud Guerrera
- The Chew Toy: Mr. Torres got way more than his share of bad breaks. Cancelled push after cancelled push, being forced to lose a title he never won twice. The second one was the New Japan IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title, which Juventud had won from Jushin Thunder Liger. Juvi had been Kayfabe injured and Psicosis was named to defend the title against Liger in the rematch. The real story was that Juvi and Jerry Flynn had been arrested for drunk driving. Liger defeated Psicosis, of course. To top it off, NJPW now acknowledge Juvi - but not Psicosis - as having held the title. He also lost what would have been his most significant win over Rey Misterio - a mask vs mask match in CMLL where Psicosis was planned to win was cancelled when Misterio unmasked in WCW and CMLL forbade Misterio from wrestling masked.
- Cool Mask
- Cool Shades: After unmasking, both as Psicosis and as Nicho el Millionario.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: The trenchcoats he sometimes wears as entrance attire and sometimes his wrestling gear as well feature crosses. Apparently purely per Rule of Cool, there's never been a religious aspect to the Psicosis character.
- The Dog Bites Back: Beat La Parka in a singles match on PPV for all the uncalled-for chair shots.
- Face-Heel Turn: Obviously being a pro wrestler he's had several (and several heel face turns as well), but his most notable heel turn came about halfway through his feud with Ultimo Dragon. Dragon had just split with his manager Sonny Onoo and turned face, and Psicosis was so desperate for a win over Dragon that he signed with Onoo. It didn't help.
- Finishing Move: Guillotine Legdrop, Moonsault Senton. In Mexico, the Psycho Stunner/Nicho Stunner (Stone Cold Stunner) as well. And very rarely a top rope crucifix powerbomb called Splash Mountain.
- Fragile Speedster: Against heavyweights. Against wrestlers his own size he was nearly a Lightning Bruiser - had a great powerbomb and a lariat.
- Garbage Wrestler: Starting roughly in the 2010s, Psicosis started making garbage wrestling his primary style.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Psicosis could actually work a tremendous amount of wrestling styles. Axe-crazy rudo, gravity-defying tecnico, underdog with heart, calculating technician, even Garbage Wrestler.
- Lean and Mean: At 6'2" 200 lbs he's quite thin for a pro wrestler.
- Legacy Character: Psicosis. In addition to the Psicosis I played by Torres and the Psicosis II played by Juan Gonzalez, there was briefly a Psicosis III in CMLL from late 2009 through mid 2010.
- Masked Luchador: Until he lost it. He's since started using it again.
- Mock Millionaire: As Nicho el Millionario
- Power Stable:
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Spell My Name with an "S": It's Psicosis. WCW called him Psychosis consistantly, but no one ever called him "Psichosis". Ironically, WCW did the same thing to Ultimo Dragon during their feud, calling him "The Ultimate Dragon".
- Spikes of Villainy: His wristguards and shoulderpads had (decorative) spikes on them.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Perpetrated against him. He was forcibly unmasked by the Filthy Animals. Who were a face stable. And two of whom, Konnan and Rey Jr., were luchadors themselves.
- With Friends Like These...: Psicosis and La Parka formed a semi-regular tag team. La Parka probably hit Psychosis with his chair for no reason more often than the tandem won matches in their entire WCW run.
- Wrestling Family: He has a brother who wrestles in Mexico as Fobia.
- While he was in training, the idea of making him a fictional member of the Misterio family was considered.
- Worked Shoot: His initial return to AAA and feud with Psicosis II over the gimmick started as one of these.