"God made the Devil just for fun
When He wanted the real thing, He made Aja Kong!"
- From her theme song, "Jungle Emperor"
(b. 1970) is a Japanese
-American Professional Wrestler
as Aja Kong.
She started her career in 1986 at the age of 16 under her own name, becoming Aja Kong in 1988. She was a long-time regular in All Japan Womens Pro Wrestling
and helped establish the ARSION promotion as one of the top monster heels. Among her achievements, she is a 4x AJW WWWA World Tag Team Champion
, holding the belts 1x w/Grizzly Iwamoto, 2x w/Bison Kimura as the Tag Team
Jungle Jack and 1x w/Amazing Kong
, a 2x AJW WWWA World Singles Champion
, a 1x Queen of ARSION
and a 1x HUSTLE Super Tag Team Champion
as Erica w/Margaret (Awesome Kong)
. She made her PPV debut at WWE Survivor Series 95.
Kong has also competed for FMW
, Dragon Gate
, and many other promotions. She was inducted into the AJW Hall of Fame in 1998 and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Hall of Fame in 2006.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"He made Aja Kong's Tropes!":
- Acrofatic: Her Northern Lights Superplex is a top rope backdrop splash while suplexing her opponent. Not just of the agile variety either but also surprisingly flexible and dexterous.
- Action Girl/Dark Action Girl
- Arch-Enemy: Manami Toyota, Chaparita ASARI
- Ass Kicks You: A seated senton to counter those pesky sunset flippers. (like most wrestlers she often misses)
- Awesome McCool Name/Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Bald Women: After Bull Nakano and Kyoko Inoue defeated Jungle Jack in a hair vs. hair match on January 11, 1991.
- Bash Sisters: With Bison Kimura, Kyoko Inoue, Amazing Kong
- Celebrity Endorsement: At one time in Japan, she was the national spokesperson for orange juice.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After defeating the American Amazing Kong who had temporarily replaced her. Now there were two of them for everyone else to worry about.
- Delinquent Hair\Blondes are Evil: It seems arbitrarily tacked on in relation to the rest of her serious monster character but most fans get used to it.
- Distaff Counterpart: Unofficially, to Vader.
- Facial Markings
- Fighting with Chucks: When the referee is not looking of course.
- Finishing Move: Brainbuster, Uraken (spinning back fist), Northern Lights Superplex
- The Gloves Come Off: She could not keep Amazing Kong down for the three count until she removed her gloves. Prior to that everything up to trusty foreign object failed.
- Hidden Depths: Erika and Margaret were Girly Girl babyfaces, and she is a 1x Dramatic Dream Team Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion, a title that is an Up to Eleven parody of the WWE Hardcore Title, to the point that animals, people from the audience and inanimate objects have been recognized as "Champions." The Dramatic Dream Team promotion in general makes CHIKARA look old-fashioned.
- Lighter and Softer: In HUSTLE as Erika.
- Mixed Ancestry: Her mother is Japanese and her father was an African-American serviceman.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Villainess/What Could Have Been: Got herself exiled from WWE for working, in their eyes, too stiff with Chaparita ASARI in their match on the December 11 (taped November 21), 1995 Raw. WWE was supposedly building Kong up as a contender to Alundra Blayze's WWE Women's Title, but this match cancelled those plans. That, and Blayze jumping ship to WCW a week later, returning to her Madusa name, and throwing the belt in the trash on WCW Monday Nitro. This killed off the Women's Division in WWE until Jacqueline defeated Sable for the vacated title on the September 21 (taped September 15), 1998 Raw. Kong has never had a match on American television since.
- No Sell: To the point where it can become almost cruelly amusing watching her smaller opponents getting so worked up trying to get her to sell any kind of offense.
- One-Hit Kill: Her Uraken. At one point in the "New Dimension 8 Queens" match (also known as "Thunder Queen Battle") between Team AJW (Kong/Kyoko Inoue/Takako Inoue/Saki Hasegawa) vs. Team JWP (Dynamite Kansai/Mayumi Ozaki/Cutie Suzuki/Hikari Fukuoka), July 31, 1993, Kong came in, hit Kansai with one Uraken, and put her down for a 10-count to win that fall for her team.
- Power Stable: Team Nostradamus
- Team Himiko
- Super Star Unit
- Real Song Theme Tune: Judas Priest's "Electric Eye"
- Red Baroness: "The Rial Queen"
- Sole Survivor: In the Team Bertha Fayenote -Team Blayzenote match at Survivor Series 95.
- Spinning Piledriver: Used a Spinning Package Piledriver on Chaparita ASARI in their Raw match mentioned above, years before the regular Package Piledriver became common.
- Stout Strength
- Tag Team: Jungle Jack, with Nobuko Kimura
- Double Kong
- Super Maniacs, with Kyoko Inoue