Wrestling / Pro Wrestling ZERO1
Pro Wrestling ZERO1
(formerly called Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE
and Pro Wrestling ZERO1-MAX
) is a Professional Wrestling
company founded in 2001 by Shinya Hashimoto
after his departure from New Japan Pro Wrestling
. Under Hashimoto's flag, ZERO-ONE became a mainstay in the puroresu scene and competed against Pro Wrestling NOAH
, but after his death in 2005 and its rename to ZERO1-Max, the promotion started a gross declive and ended turning into a big-sized indy, the position for which it is most known.
Unlike most puroresu companies, ZERO-ONE stands up for his cosmopolitism and openness, having featured a memorable working agreement with United States promotion Ultimate Pro Wrestling and frequently booking freelancers and little known foreign wrestlers. Following its creator's interest in martial arts, the company used to feature a lot of shoot-style and Mixed Martial Arts
talents, and it was the platform for the relaunch of Battlarts. In a odd twist to this, it also had an alliance with Dream Stage Entertainment to form the sports entertainment-oriented HUSTLE
, who helped to sustain the late Shinya's company. Currently, the company is mostly oriented towards junior heavyweight division and technical wrestling, but it has not totally cleared off his status as the Bazaar of the Bizarre
of the wrestling world. ZERO-ONE figures as a member of National Wrestling Alliance
, the Global Professional Wrestling Alliance (which includes Pro Wrestling NOAH
, Ring of Honor
and Dramatic Dream Team
amongst its members) and the World Wrestling League.That Other Wiki has more info on ZERO1.
Tropes associated with Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE:
- Aborted Arc
- After the pro wrestling debut of Daichi Hashimoto in 2011, famous kickboxer Yuichiro Nagashima came to announce he was also becoming a wrestler and that he would be Daichi's rival. This seemed to foretell a great, lifelong feud full of future five star matches and puroresu fandom dreams... until, after a short tenure, Nagashima left the promotion and turned to wrestle sporadically for Inoki Genome Federation. He did a short return in 2012 to briefly feud with Hayato Fujita, but it ended fastly as well and the Daichi enmity was forgotten.
- Ironically enough, Daichi made his jump to IGF in 2014, which would open the door for a future continuation of the feud if Nagashima were willing to return full time.
- Before Shinya Hashimoto's death, he had planned to return to New Japan for a reunion of the Three Musketers and perhaps to work out the relaionships between NJPW and ZERO-ONE, but it all ended with his demise.
- Matt Ghaffari may look slow and clumsy, but his cartwheels and jumps say otherwise.
- A minor example is KAMIKAZE, whose stout build doesn't stop him from being a moonsault expert.
- Appeal to Force: Through winning pro wrestling matches, Takao Omori has proven himself to be the best fisherman in the world.
- Arc Number: Take a wild guess. The original plan was a spinoff called New Japan 00 or New Japan ZERO, which lasted a year before making a clean break as ZERO-ONE.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Given the plenty of rising young wrestlers and proud martial artists in ZERO1, there are many of them in it. Naoya Ogawa and Hayato Fujita are the main examples.
- The Ace: Sawa had individual trouble but Munenori Sawa and Ikuto Hidaka's 766 day reign as NWA Intercontinental Tag Team Champions saw teams brought in from Dragon Gate and Chikara just put an end to them.
- The Artifact: The entire company counts as one. It was created by Shinya Hashimoto as his personal fed to rebuild his popularity after his NJPW late career fiasco, but after his death, the people left in charge had clearly no idea about what they should do with the promotion.
- Author Avatar: Besides Shinya Hashimoto, Nanae Takahashi was largely responsible for the SUN offshoot.
- Ax-Crazy: The Predator.
- Bald of Awesome: Shinjiro Otani is known for his incipient baldness.
- Bash Brothers: OH Gun (Shinya Hashimoto and Naoya Ogawa).
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: As he used to do before his encounter with Naoya Ogawa, Hashimoto faced many shootfighters in Worked Shoot matches and defeat them.
- Big Fun: The judoka turned pro wrestler turned sumo wrestler turned pro wrestler Y2P–160 kg. Shinya himself wasn't the most cut or slim guy and wasn't completely above gags and such either.
- Big "SHUT UP!": AJ Styles finds your voices annoying.
- Costume Porn: The★ZEST and NOIZ. Ikuto Hidaka also likes to wear cool attires and masks during his entrance.
- Crossover: The Differ Cup Scramble Tag Team Tournament, hosted by DDT, IWA Japan, Michinoku Pro Wrestling, Pro Wrestling NOAH and Pro Wrestling ZERO 1.
- Delinquent Hair: Minoru Fujita, later adopted by his partner Takuya Sugawara.
- Distaff Counterpart: Pro Wrestling SUN was a brand concept as ZERO1's female counterpart, but it didn't thrive.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Tom Howard.
- Easily Distracted Referee: Simply Luscious, though she does it on purpose.
- Elites Are More Glamorous: Tom Howard's gimmick was that of a Green Berets hand-to-hand instructor.
- Engrish: "Greatest Headbutt of the World" Fugofugo Yumeji.
- Escalating Brawl: Thoroughly in a certain event in March 2003 in midst of Hashimoto and Otani's feud. Otano attacked Hashimoto, and then Satoshi Kojima did a Villainous Rescue and attacked Otani. Then Takayama came out and attacked Hashimoto and Kojima. Then The Predator also came and attacked Takayama. Then Naoya Ogawa came to save Hashimoto and attacked Takayama as well. Then Matt Ghaffari came and attacked... well, at this point, everybody was attacking everybody.
- Foreign Fanservice: The ladies took a real liking to Leondard Spanky, so the promoters capitalized.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: The Ultimate Pro Wrestling members served esentially as old-school American heels.
- Fully Absorbed Finale: Many of the AWA\Superstars Of Wrestling Title belts ended up in ZERO1's possession after the attempted revival of the AWA by former employees in the 50 states and Canada with SOW were crushed.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Perennial rookie Shota Takanishi saw his career ended due to a neck unjury. A more brutal example was the injury which retired and almost killed Naohiro Hoshikawa.
- The Giant: Nathan Jones, The Predator, King Dabada, and more recently, Akebono. Kohei Sato is considered an example for Japanese standards.
- Heir to the Dojo: Shinya Hashimoto's son Daichi debuted in 2011 and was considered his sucessor as the crown jewel of the company, but his departure in 2014 subverted this.
- Hula and Luaus: Inverted when Hawai'i Championship Wrestling came to Japan and Zero 1 instead put on this front for the occasion.
- Humiliating Wager
- Tracy Taylor, Saki Maemura and "Hula Kong" were all forced to dance in coconut bikinis at some point during the Hawai'i Championship Wrestling Tour
- Osamu Namiguchi and Hikaru lost a loser has to eat Nagano food tag team match.
- Keet: Wataru Sakata. His smile contagious.
- Licensed Game: The King Of Colosseum series has pulled from Zero 1 for its rosters.
- Lightning Bruiser: Many of the ZERO1 wrestlers qualify.
- Martial Arts Headband: Shinya Hashimoto and his son.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Osamu Namiguchi's "Dream Catch" finishing move, a top rope victory roll.
- My Kung-Fu Is Stronger Than Yours: A recurrent motif.
- The Napoleon: Low Ki automatically assumed he was being made fun of for size, or lack there of.
- New Year Has Come: Signified by the ZERO1 Wrestler's 8 - New Year Gigs event
- Old Master: Kazuhiko Ogasawara, who is old Kyokushin karate master.
- Power Stable: Far East Connection, Sword Army, Axe Army...
- Start My Own: From New Japan, though it was originally going to be done with their involvement.
- Surfer Dude: Sandy Beach, named both for surfing and his appearance...
- Sword Limbo: Toshie Uematsu has made use of matrix dodges.
- The Movie: Oh! My Zombie Mermaid\Ah! House Collapses, though it's less about Zero One itself as it is about a rival promoter trying to destroy a Captain Ersatz of Shinya Hashimoto.
- Those Two Guys: Ikuto Hidaka tends to be one of those with his tag partners, most specifically Minoru Fujita, Munenori Sawa and Takafumi Ito, who is also his real life best friend.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: SMASH served as neutral ground for as showdown between Zero-1 and Fight Club Finland.
- Wholesome Cross Dresser: Lingerie Mutoh, Munenori Sawa's parody of Keiji Mutoh's pre Great Muta gimmicks.
- Wild Samoan: Several came from UPW, such as King Dabada and even Samoa Joe.
- Worked Shoot: Especially back in the 2000s.
- Worthy Opponent: The relationship between Ikuto Hidaka and Masaaki Mochizuki.
- Wrestling Monster: Shockwave The Robot (and many others).
- You and What Army?: Keiji Muto and Shinya Hashimoto got a memorable one each during the feud between AJPW and ZERO-ONE.
After intruding on the ring.
Hashimoto: We're right here, come on! You and All Japan are disconnected. You won't be able to do anything. Come on!
Muto: So you think All Japan is disconnected? They're here somewhere. I brought my whole family with me today.
Almost the entire AJPW roster, led by Masanobu Fuchi, comes behind him.
Fuchi: All Japan is one. As a major organization, ZERO-ONE will be crushed. Hashimoto, what do you have to say?
Hashimoto: Everybody here, come out! We'll show those guys what we can do.
The ZERO-ONE roster comes with Hashimoto.
- You Are Fat: The way Micah Taylor addressed the Great Championship Wrestling roster, especially the Equalizer.