(1965-2005) was a Japanese Professional Wrestler
and promoter best known for his work in New Japan Pro Wrestling
, All Japan Pro Wrestling
and his own promotion Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE from the 1980s until his death. He debuted in 1984 for New Japan and also competed in various North American territories, including the Continental Wrestling Association in Memphis, the World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico and Stampede Wrestling in Canada, as well as Catch Wrestling Association in Austria/Germany. Among his in-ring achievements, he was the second, after Keiji Muto/The Great Muta, wrestler to have held the New Japan IWGP Heavyweight Title
, the All Japan Triple Crown Heavyweight Title
and the NWA World Heavyweight Title
. He also had, to date, the longest ever reign as the New Japan Pro Wrestling IWGP Heavyweight Champion, at 489 days. He made his American PPV debut as a replacement for Akira Nogami at WCW The Great American Bash 1992
, in the NWA World Tag Team Title
Tournament. He and Hiroshi Hase defeated the Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin), and lost later to Barry Windham
and Dustin Rhodes
. He was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Hall of Fame in 2000. He died of a brain aneurysm in Tokyo on July 11, 2005 at the age of 40.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
and about his acting work at IMDB
"Vertical trope brainbuster":
- Acrofatic: Moved very well for a guy his size.
- Afro Asskicker: As part of his Elvis Presley emulation. He became a fan while he was working in Memphis after visiting the Elvis Presley museum.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: To Toshiaki Kawada in All Japan Pro Wrestling.
- Bash Brothers: Masa Saito, Riki Chōshū, Naoya Ogawa, Junji Hirata, Yoshiaki Fujiwara.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Became best friends with Naoya Ogawa, who had beat him in Hashimoto's supposed NJPW "retirement" match. Especially touching, given that Ogawa had been esentially ordered by Inoki to destroy Hashimoto's aura to the extent of shooting on him, and yet Shinya forgave him and welcomed him to ZERO-ONE.
- Downer Ending: His death at the age of 40.
- Face: This was his role, and he drew huge in it.
- Fan Nickname: "Fat Japanese Elvis".
- Finishing Move: Vertical drop brainbuster, jumping spike DDT.
- I Have Many Names: SHOGUN, Hashif Khan (in Stampede), and his own.
- I Know Karate: And Judo too.
- Kick Dude: Drew comparisons to All Japan's Toshiaki Kawada.
- Lightning Bruiser: Big, strong, fast, could absolutely work on the mat, and could even come off of the top rope.
- Power Stable: HUSTLE Army.
- Pro Wrestling Headband
- Real Song Theme Tune: Moving Pictures' "Never"
- Red Baron: "The King of Destruction", "The Heart and Soul of Fighting Spirit".
- Supreme Chef: Reported to be great in the kitchen.
- The Rival: Keiji Muto and especially Naoya Ogawa.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: Was a booker for ZERO-ONE and HUSTLE.
- Start My Own: Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE in November 2000, after getting fired from New Japan.
- Tag Team: OH Gun, with Naoya Ogawa in ZERO-ONE.
- Wrestling Family: His son Daichi, who debuted for ZERO-ONE in March 2011.