Wrestling: Abdullah the Butcher
Born Lawrence Shreve
in Windsor, Ontario, Canadanote
, Abdullah the Butcher
is one of the biggest legends in Professional Wrestling
history. Billed as "The Madman from the Sudan," he started his career in Ontario in 1958 and became one of the true pioneers of hardcore wrestling. He was a huge star in Japan and Puerto Rico. Among his achievements, he is a former All Japan Pro Wrestling PWF Heavyweight Champion
, a former WWC (World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico) World Heavyweight Champion
, and was inducted into the WWE
Hall of Fame in 2011. He wrestled for All Japan Pro Wrestling
, New Japan Pro Wrestling
, the American Wrestling Association
, Stampede Wrestling
, Juggalo Championship Wrestling
, the Von Erichs
' World Class Championship Wrestling in Dallas, the World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico, Ring of Honor
, Dragon Gate
, and so many more. He traveled a lot over his career, mainly to keep his act, which mainly consisted of him stabbing his opponent bloody with a fork, with other weapons used as well, brawling through the arena, and eventually pinning his opponent with the Sudanese Meat Cleaver (elbow drop), from getting stale. He was a major draw all over the world for decades. He and Dan Spivey
faced Bruiser Brody
and Carlos Colon in Brody's last-ever match, on July 15, 1988. He was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Hall of Fame in 1996, and into the WWE
Hall of Fame in 2011.
You can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Mad Tropes from the Sudan":
- As Himself: He appears at his restaurant in the video for "Damn!" by YoungBloodz.
- Ax-Crazy: Uh, fork crazy? He was unnecessarily violent and clearly not all there anyway.
- Bash Brothers: the Original Sheik, Tiger Jeet Singh, Kevin Sullivan, Giant Kamala #2, Cactus Jack.
- The Butcher: Both literally and figuratively at this point. He earned the epithet from his fearsome reputation but he apparently is a pretty good cook.
- Covered with Scars: Seriously, just look at his head.
- Fat Bastard: If the image did not make it clear enough, he was not a small man.
- Finishing Move: Sudanese Meat Cleaver (elbow drop)
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: Even though he wrestled largely outside of Canada, being from there was seemingly not foreign enough so he was billed from Sudan.
- Garbage Wrestler: One of the Ur Examples, along with the Sheik. That said, he would work in actual wrestling moves here and there when he felt like it.
- Heel: A traveling variety, letting people all over the world learn to hate him.
- I Know Karate. And Judo too.
- Legacy Character: Abdullah Jr. Kobayashi in Big Japan Pro Wrestling.