Born Lawrence Shreve
in Windsor, Ontario, Canadanote
, Abdullah the Butcher
is one of the biggest legends in Professional Wrestling
history. Billed as "The Madman from the Sudan," he started his career in Ontario in 1958 and became one of the true pioneers of hardcore wrestling. He was a huge star in Japan and Puerto Rico. Among his achievements, he is a former All Japan Pro Wrestling PWF Heavyweight Champion
, a former WWC (World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico) World Heavyweight Champion
, and was inducted into the WWE
Hall of Fame in 2011. He wrestled for All Japan Pro Wrestling
, New Japan Pro Wrestling
, the American Wrestling Association
, Stampede Wrestling
, Juggalo Championship Wrestling
, the Von Erichs' World Class Championship Wrestling in Dallas, the World Wrestling Council in Puerto Rico, Ring Of Honor
, Dragon Gate
and so many more. He traveled a lot over his career, mainly to keep his act, which mainly consisted of him stabbing his opponent bloody with a fork, with other weapons used as well, brawling through the arena, and eventually pinning his opponent with the Sudanese Meat Cleaver (elbow drop), from getting stale. He was a major draw all over the world for decades. He and Dan Spivey
faced Bruiser Brody
and Carlos Colon in Brody's last-ever match, on July 15, 1988.
You can find the basics at The Other Wiki
Mad Tropes from the Sudan:
- Arch-Enemy: Carlos Colon, the Funk Brothers (Terry and Dory Jr.), Bruiser Brody.
- In Real Life, Kamala. Devon "Hannibal" Nicholson and "Superstar" Billy Graham also hate him with a passion (due to their shared belief that Abby has infected several wrestlers with Hepatitus C via blading them with his own dirty blade, with Devon himself being a victim if this is accurate).
- Ax Crazy
- Bald of Evil/Bald of Awesome
- Bash Brothers: the Original Sheik, Tiger Jeet Singh, Kevin Sullivan, Giant Kamala #2, Cactus Jack.
- The Butcher
- Covered with Scars: Seriously, just look at his head.
- Fan Nickname: "Abby"
- Fat Bastard
- Finishing Move: Sudanese Meat Cleaver (elbow drop)
- Fork Fencing
- Garbage Wrestler: One of the Ur Examples, along with the Sheik
- I Know Karate. And Judo too.
- Legacy Character: Abdullah Jr. Kobayashi in Big Japan Pro Wrestling.
- Red Baron: "The Madman from the Sudan"
- Ring Oldies
- Start My Own: Abdullah the Butcher's House of Ribs and Chinese Food, in Atlanta, GA.
- Theme Song: Used Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days" in All Japan Pro Wrestling and in Ring Of Honor.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and the Sheik went back and forth either teaming with each other or fighting each other for years and years.
- The Voiceless: Due to the fact that he was supposed to be from the Sudan, he rarely spoke while in character, thus providing work for his various managers.
- Subverted at times, such as when he cut a promo in Japan where he said that he wanted Genichiro Tenryu to "taste the fork."
- He also gave an acceptance speech when he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
- Weapon of Choice: The fork.
- WrestleCrap: Two inductions: