Gordon Freeman demonstrates.
Is that a crowbar? [picks it up] Awesome! Now I can beat the snot out of people!
A type of Improvised Weapon
Crowbars tend to be pretty popular - they are heavy enough to be used as clubs
and have two bladed points that can do some nasty damage either by swinging or thrusting. Plus, they can be used as lock bypassers
Interestingly enough, they are rarely seen used for their original purpose. Give a videogame character a crowbar and point him to a wooden crate
, and his first impulse will be to smash it to pieces
rather than pry it open
See also Wrench Whack
Anime and Manga
- In Marvel Comics The Wrecker is a man who was given a magical crowbar by Loki that grants him immense strength and endurance. He also has the ability to divide his power between others to form the Wrecking Crew, all with their own construction site weaponry.
- This was the method of choice for The Joker in killing Jason Todd, with a time bomb delivering the Coup de Grāce.
- The Zombie Survival Guide details why a crowbar is one of the better hand-to-hand weapons to use against zombies: it is strong enough to break skulls, doesn't need sharpening or loading, and, if needed, can be used to pry things.
- Halloween: The Mad House ends with Michael being beaten into submission with a crowbar.
- Freddy is fought with a crowbar in A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Dealers.
- In Mercedes Lackey's Serrated Edge novels, mage-warrior Tannim fights with one of these, since twenty pounds of Cold Iron, enchanted for maximum effect, will ruin the day of a lot of magical beings.
- Probably the most famous example is in Half-Life: Gordon Freeman's signature weapon is a crowbar. This is commented on by the G-Man in Half-Life 2: Episode 2.
- The Punisher
- Siren and Siren 2
- One of the first weapons found in Deus Ex is a crowbar
- Condemned. You can also use it to pry things open.
- One of the usable melee weapons in Left 4 Dead 2.
- Likewise, one of many melee weapons you can use in Dead Rising 2.
- In Space Station 13, a good clout upside the head with a crowbar will knock someone out for longer than you'd expect.
- Jagged Alliance 2, it is available since the first game, but back then it cannot be used as a weapon. This is just a bonus since its main use is to pry open locked doors and containers.
- The Blue Sun mod for 7.62mm High Caliber adds a crowbar as a melee weapon.
- Odium. About as much power as a bat, and weaker than an axe.
- Present in both Saints Row games. The best melee weapon in the original, but overshadowed by better weapons in the sequel.
- Subverted in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas: as a Shout Out, you can find one in Area 69, on a desk. You can't pick it up, though, but some mods replace the dildo with it.
- In Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice, one would probably expect the recurring ultimate Bonus Boss, Tyrant Overlord Baal, to magichange into a sword, considering how almost all of his attacks involve summoning really huge ones to impale his foes. Instead, he magichanges into an ordinary-looking crowbar. A crowbar so powerful, that it can potentially max out the wielder's stats.
- The original melee weapon for the Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, and Sniper classes in Team Fortress Classic was a crowbar. Engineer used a Wrench that could upgrade buildings, repair buildings, and restore the armor of teammates, Medic used a Med-kit that healed allies and infected enemies, Spy used a knife that could Back Stab enemies for a One-Hit Kill, and Civilian used an Umbrella.
- A crowbar is the starting melee weapon for Thieves in Drakensang along with knives and daggers. Said crowbar is listed as an "Axe/Club" type weapon and it's not very powerful.
- A crowbar is found in the first areas of both Sonny games. The weapon is a Shout Out to Half-Life, which is more blatant in the second game (the weapon has the description "the weapon of free men").
- Subverted in Amnesia The Dark Descent. You do find a crowbar at a point, but its only use is to open a busted door. Shortly thereafter, it breaks under the strain.