"Is that a crowbar? (picks it up) Oh my God, this is friggin' perfect! Now I can beat the snot out of people!"A type of Improvised Weapon. Crowbars are actually awesome, yet practical — they are very sturdy, fairly easy to obtain, heavy enough to be used as clubs without being too heavy to carry, and have two bladed points that can do some nasty damage either by swinging or thrusting. Plus, they can be used as lock bypassers. Interestingly enough, they are rarely seen used for their original purpose. Give a videogame character a crowbar and point him to a wooden crate or breakable door, and his first impulse will be to smash it to pieces rather than pry it open. See also Wrench Whack.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Durarara!!'s Kida Masaomi uses this to take on the entire Yellow Scarves.
- Haiyore! Nyarko-san:
- Nyarko of wields her "unspeakable bar thing" the same way others would use swords (and occasionally throws it). It's probably meant to be a reference to the crowbar's prominence of Lovecraft-inspired games like Call of Cthulhu, though some fans have suggested it's a subtle nod to Nyarlathotep's Egyptian origins, since the crowbar resembles the "was" staff carried by pharoahs (and such was one of Nyarlathotep's 1,000 forms).
- Crowbars seem to be the Weapon of Choice for the show's heroes, as Nyarko's allies Kuko (Cthuguha) and Hasta (Hastur) wield them on occasions, usually when they don't have access to their Elemental Powers.
- In Marvel Comics The Wrecker is a man who was given a magical crowbar by Loki that grants him immense strength and endurance. He also has the ability to divide his power between others to form the Wrecking Crew, all with their own construction site weaponry.
- This was the method of choice for The Joker in A Death in the Family to kill Jason Todd, with a time bomb delivering the Coup de Grāce. And years later, after coming Back from the Dead, Jason a.k.a. the new Red Hood reveals his identity to Joker and the readers by returning the favor.
- The Mutant leader tries to kill Batman with a crowbar in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
- In The DCU, Crowbar is a member of the supervillain team the Cadre. His weapon of choice is an energized crowbar that can fire energy blasts, as well as being used as the traditional blunt instrument.
Films — Live-Action
- 28 Days Later's Jim uses a crowbar in one scene near the end, where he bashes a soldier's head in.
- Crowbar is one of the many things used to pin Freddy against a wall in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.
- Michael in the remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004) as they enter the mall.
- One of the intro victims in Cornered! is beaten to death with what looks like a crowbar.
- A character gets stabbed in the eye with a crowbar in Carver.
- The initial antagonist of I Spit on Your Grave, I Piss on Your Grave is killed with a crowbar.
- Walter uses a crowbar to destroy a car in The Big Lebowski.
Do you see what happens, Larry!
- Brad Pitt for the third act of World War Z. This gives him an Oh Crap! moment when the crowbar gets jammed in a zombie's head and another is charging towards him.
- Pro Wrestlers vs. Zombies has Roddy Piper using it as his mélêe weapon for a good bit of the movie.
- The Zombie Survival Guide details why a crowbar is one of the better hand-to-hand weapons to use against zombies: it is strong enough to break skulls, doesn't need sharpening or loading, and, if needed, can be used to pry things.
- Halloween: The Mad House ends with Michael being beaten into submission with a crowbar.
- Freddy is fought with a crowbar in A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Dealers.
- In Mercedes Lackey's SERRAted Edge novels, mage-warrior Tannim fights with one of these, since twenty pounds of Cold Iron, enchanted for maximum effect, will ruin the day of a lot of magical beings.
- Mercy Thompson used a crowbar in two books. In Moon Called, she broke the Mac's, a new werewolf, collarbone to free herself from his grip when he started to lose control to wolf in himself. In Iron Kissed, Mercy killed Tim, after he raped her, by spearing him and then smashing his head in, holding the crowbar in only her left hand.
- Probably the most famous example is in Half-Life: Gordon Freeman's signature weapon is a crowbar. This is commented on by the G-Man in Half-Life 2: Episode 2.
- As a mod of Half-Life, Garry's Mod keeps the iconic crowbar in for the gamemodes Trouble In Terrorist Town and Prop Hunt.
- One of the first weapons found in Deus Ex is a crowbar
- One of the melee weapons in Condemned: Criminal Origins. You can also use it to pry things open.
- One of the usable melee weapons in Left 4 Dead 2. The series being another Valve IP, you can expect a Shout-Out:
Louis: Man, I feel like I'm Gordon Freeman!
- Likewise, one of many melee weapons you can use in Dead Rising 2.
- In Space Station 13, a good clout upside the head with a crowbar will knock someone out for longer than you'd expect.
- The original Jagged Alliance had a crowbar as a tool, but 2 enables it to be used as a melee weapon. It's pretty effective, although it's heavy and takes up a lot of inventory space, and it's best used as an Emergency Weapon for your designated door-kicker.
- The Blue Sun mod for 7.62mm High Caliber adds a crowbar as a melee weapon.
- Odium. About as much power as a bat, and weaker than an axe.
- Present in both Saints Row games. The best melee weapon in the original, but overshadowed by better weapons in the sequel.
- Subverted in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: as a Shout-Out, you can find one in Area 69, on a desk, but you can't pick it up. Some Game Mods replace the dildo with it.
- In Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice, one would probably expect the recurring ultimate Bonus Boss, Tyrant Overlord Baal, to magichange into a sword, considering how almost all of his attacks involve summoning really huge ones to impale his foes. Instead, he magichanges into an ordinary-looking crowbar. A crowbar so powerful, that it can potentially max out the wielder's stats.
- The original melee weapon for the Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, and Sniper classes in Team Fortress Classic was a crowbar. Engineer used a Wrench that could upgrade buildings, repair buildings, and restore the armor of teammates, Medic used a Med-kit that healed allies and infected enemies, Spy used a knife that could Back Stab enemies for a One-Hit Kill, and Civilian used an Umbrella.
- A crowbar is the starting melee weapon for Thieves in Drakensang along with knives and daggers. Said crowbar is listed as an "Axe/Club" type weapon and it's not very powerful.
- A crowbar is found in the first areas of both Sonny games. The weapon is a Shout-Out to Half-Life, which is more blatant in the second game (the weapon has the description "the weapon of free men").
- Subverted in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. You do find a crowbar at one point, but its only use is to open a busted door. Shortly thereafter, it breaks under the strain.
- In Mission Thunderbolt the crowbar is not only a durable tool for prying and smashing things, but one of the better early-game weapons.
- In Resident Evil: Revelations 2, a crowbar is Moira Burton's only weapon considering that she really, really Doesn't Like Guns due to a traumatic firearms incident. She also uses it for its actual intended purpose in prying open stuck objects.
- In Sunset Overdrive, the Player Character can use a crowbar as a melee weapon, among other things. Even if a different weapon has been equipped, they will still use it to undergrind around the city.
- In the 2D Fallout titles, crowbars are available as melee weapons that do unremarkable damage but can also be used to pry open locked containers or jammed doors.
- A crowbar is one of many, many household items that can be swung into zombie heads in Project Zomboid. It's a moderately good choice, with short reach but very high durability. In an aversion of Utility Weapon, quite unusual for Zomboid, the crowbar had no non-combat use until the ability to scavenge furnishings was added. Now a crowbar can also pry up tile flooring to spruce up your base with.
- In Discworld Noir, Lewton acquires a crowbar which he can use for opening crates and similar. Attempting to use it on people will prompt him to say that "tempting as it was", it's probably a bad idea. (It's not a combat game.)
- The aptly-named Felt member Crowbar from Homestuck uses a crowbar which, in addition to being a handy weapon, has the ability to destroy temporal artifacts and negate their effects.
- Duncan in Niels favors a crowbar over ranged weapons. A chart made by the author describes him as the second-best fighter in the series, but it's been noted that he usually has to hit someone many, many times before they finally die.
- Insane Cafe 3: The Curse of the Haunted Hotel. Strut using a crowbar then a shovel to subdue a super powered Human who had tried to pick a fight with the entire hotel.
- Darwin's Soldiers, the second RP. Dr. Rawlson/Dr. Jeston tries to kill Dr. Zanasiu with a crowbar.
- Also a Brick Joke, as earlier Dr. Shelton had opened Jeston's tool closet looking for a weapon and was disappointed to find the crowbar was missing.
- Tom spends a large portion of Ruby Quest carrying around a crowbar to smash things with.
- Strippin uses a crowbar for melee combat in Rail Bros, one of the Yogscast Minecraft Series subseries.