We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Is that a crowbar? [picks it up] Oh my God, this is friggin' perfect! Now I can beat the snot out of people!
A type of Improvised Weapon
Crowbars are actually awesome, yet practical - they are very sturdy, fairly easy to obtain, heavy enough to be used as clubs
without being too heavy to carry, and have two bladed points that can do some nasty damage either by swinging or thrusting. Plus, they can be used as lock bypassers
Interestingly enough, they are rarely seen used for their original purpose. Give a videogame character a crowbar and point him to a wooden crate
or breakable door, and his first impulse will be to smash it to pieces
rather than pry it open
See also Wrench Whack
Anime And Manga
- Durarara!!'s Kida Masaomi uses this to take on the entire Yellow Scarves.
- Nyarko of Haiyore! Nyarko-san wields her "unspeakable bar thing" the same way others would use swords (and occasionally throws it). Some Lovecraft fans have suggested it's a stealthy reference to Nyarlathotep's Egyptian origins, since the crowbar resembles the was staff carried by pharoahs (and such was one of Nyarlathotep's 1,000 forms).
- In Marvel Comics The Wrecker is a man who was given a magical crowbar by Loki that grants him immense strength and endurance. He also has the ability to divide his power between others to form the Wrecking Crew, all with their own construction site weaponry.
- This was the method of choice for The Joker in killing Jason Todd, with a time bomb delivering the Coup de Grâce.
- And years later, after coming Back from the Dead, Jason AKA the new Red Hood reveals his identity to Joker and the readers by returning the favor.
- The Zombie Survival Guide details why a crowbar is one of the better hand-to-hand weapons to use against zombies: it is strong enough to break skulls, doesn't need sharpening or loading, and, if needed, can be used to pry things.
- Halloween: The Mad House ends with Michael being beaten into submission with a crowbar.
- Freddy is fought with a crowbar in A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Dealers.
- In Mercedes Lackey's SERRAted Edge novels, mage-warrior Tannim fights with one of these, since twenty pounds of Cold Iron, enchanted for maximum effect, will ruin the day of a lot of magical beings.
- Mercy Thompson used a crowbar in two books. In Moon Called, she broke the Mac's, a new werewolf, collarbone to free herself from his grip when he started to lose control to wolf in himself. In Iron Kissed, Mercy killed Tim, after he raped her, by spearing him and then smashing his head in, holding the crowbar in only her left hand.
- Probably the most famous example is in Half-Life: Gordon Freeman's signature weapon is a crowbar. This is commented on by the G-Man in Half-Life 2: Episode 2.
- As a mod of Half-Life, Garry's Mod keeps the iconic crowbar in for the gamemodes Trouble In Terrorist Town and Prop Hunt.
- One of the first weapons found in Deus Ex is a crowbar
- Condemned. You can also use it to pry things open.
- One of the usable melee weapons in Left 4 Dead 2. Being another Valve IP, Louis naturally says "Man, I feel like Gordon Freeman!" when you pick one up.
- Likewise, one of many melee weapons you can use in Dead Rising 2.
- In Space Station 13, a good clout upside the head with a crowbar will knock someone out for longer than you'd expect.
- Jagged Alliance 2, it is available since the first game, but back then it cannot be used as a weapon. This is just a bonus since its main use is to pry open locked doors and containers.
- The Blue Sun mod for 7.62mm High Caliber adds a crowbar as a melee weapon.
- Odium. About as much power as a bat, and weaker than an axe.
- Present in both Saints Row games. The best melee weapon in the original, but overshadowed by better weapons in the sequel.
- Subverted in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: as a Shout-Out, you can find one in Area 69, on a desk, but you can't pick it up. Some Game Mods replace the dildo with it.
- In Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice, one would probably expect the recurring ultimate Bonus Boss, Tyrant Overlord Baal, to magichange into a sword, considering how almost all of his attacks involve summoning really huge ones to impale his foes. Instead, he magichanges into an ordinary-looking crowbar. A crowbar so powerful, that it can potentially max out the wielder's stats.
- The original melee weapon for the Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, and Sniper classes in Team Fortress Classic was a crowbar. Engineer used a Wrench that could upgrade buildings, repair buildings, and restore the armor of teammates, Medic used a Med-kit that healed allies and infected enemies, Spy used a knife that could Back Stab enemies for a One-Hit Kill, and Civilian used an Umbrella.
- A crowbar is the starting melee weapon for Thieves in Drakensang along with knives and daggers. Said crowbar is listed as an "Axe/Club" type weapon and it's not very powerful.
- A crowbar is found in the first areas of both Sonny games. The weapon is a Shout-Out to Half-Life, which is more blatant in the second game (the weapon has the description "the weapon of free men").
- Subverted in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. You do find a crowbar at one point, but its only use is to open a busted door. Shortly thereafter, it breaks under the strain.
- In Mission Thunderbolt the crowbar is not only a durable tool for prying and smashing things, but one of the better early-game weapons.
- Insane Cafe 3: The Curse of the Haunted Hotel. Strut using a crowbar then a shovel to subdue a super powered Human who had tried to pick a fight with the entire hotel.
- Darwins Soldiers, the second RP. Dr. Rawlson/Dr. Jeston tries to kill Dr. Zanasiu with a crowbar.
- Also a Brick Joke, as earlier Dr. Shelton had opened Jeston's tool closet looking for a weapon and was disappointed to find the crowbar was missing.
- Tom spends a large portion of Ruby Quest carrying around a crowbar to smash things with.
- Strippin uses a crowbar for melee combat in Rail Bros, one of the Yogscast Minecraft Series subseries.