A type of mod (there are several versions) for Garry's Mod
or Team Fortress 2
, Prop Hunt
is a online version of hide and seek. Only with guns and props.
At the start of each round, players are put on one of two teams: Props and Hunters. People on the Props team have the power to turn into (normally) inanimate objects, which allows them to attempt to disguise themselves. Hunters are given a full load-out of guns and other weapons, and have to try and kill the Props. However, the Hunters lose health if they attack an object that isn't a disguised player, meaning they have to be careful. If the Hunters kill the Props, they win. If the Hunters end up dead or the time runs out, the Props win.
The original version of the game mod can be found here
This game mod provides examples of:
- Awesome, but Impractical:
- Turning into the largest props is this. While you have a lot of health, you can't move around very well, especially if indoors. And since most maps only have a very small number of such props, this makes the player easy to find.
- On the hunter side, using grenades. While they can clear out an entire room, it counts as an attack on everything there. If there's more than a handful of objects and a disguised player isn't there... goodbye, hunter.
- Boring, but Practical:
- Hunters can pick up and move around any object, but not disguised players. This allows them to check a room safely by trying to knock everything in it over.
- Becoming a small object and hiding in hard to reach nooks and crannies is a sure-fire way to win, but your prop hunt experience will consist of 5 minutes of doing absolutely nothing, aside from maybe laugh at the hunters as they fail to find you.
- Cast from Hit Points: Hunters suffer from this any time they attack the wrong object. This is inverted by attacking disguised players, which heals the hunter.
- Crowning Moment Of Awesome: Plenty of small ones if you can pull them off.
- Fragile Speedster: Smaller props have less health, making them easy to kill. However, they are faster and more mobile, as well as being harder to hit.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: The basic strategy for playing as a prop.
- Mighty Glacier: Disguising as a larger object. The largest ones cannot even move, but have a ton of health.
- Needle in a Stack of Needles: Some maps allow the props to pull this off.