This is the power that lets the Differently Powered Individual
manipulate and fold space. This results in teleportation, bags/pockets/sleeves that are Bigger on the Inside
than the outside and the ability to ignore bullets
. A Reality Warper
would have this as part of their powerset.
A Super Trope
and Bigger on the Inside
. Compare with Gravity Master
and Time Master
Anime and Manga
- The Magician from Darker Than Black Season Two used this power to summon unlimited weapons and redirect enemy attacks.
- Mousse from Ranma ½ has the Hidden Weapons technique which lets him hide armories worth of weaponry in his sleeves.
- In Saint Seiya, this is the usual power set for the Gemini Saint.
- Vampire Hunter D film (1985). The mutant Rei Ginsei has the power to warp space within his body. For example, when D's sword stabbed him he caused part of it to appear near D and stab him instead.
- Father Anderson from Hellsing never seems to run out of bayonets.
- Kuroko from To Aru Majutsu no Index teleports by distorting space.
- In Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Homura is able to store weapons in her shield, along with her primary ability of stopping time. This means she is both this trope and a Time Master. Even better she managed to get this all from one wish.
- Haruhi Suzumiya (unwittingly), Yuki Nagato, and Ryoko Asakura have all done this.
- In Naruto, both Kakashi and Tobi have space-bending Sharingan techniques. Kakashi can only suck things into a portal created on whatever he looks at while Tobi's gives him teleportation and intangibility. It turns out they're using the same technique, Tobi just knew how to use it better. Later on they are both capable of traveling in and out of the other dimension at will, suggesting that Kakashi mastered it by following Tobi's example.
- Both the 2nd and 4th Hokages were renowned for their space-time ninjutsu as well, both of which they use to Teleport Spam.
- In Rosario + Vampire, Akuha uses a technique called the Jigen-Tou, which by 'delaying her existence for a second' allows her to disrupt local spacetime in order to cut through anything just by waving her arm through it - rather than attacking an object directly, she's cutting the space it's occupying. Later, Tohou Fuhai shows us the completed form of the technique; it looks like this.
- In Fairy Tail, Minerva uses this magic, which she calls "Territory." It allows her to teleport herself or her opponents and manipulate any space she can see. Requip Magic, used by several other mages, also works this way in that it allows mages to store weapons or clothing in their own pocket dimensions.
- Travelers in The Grimnoir Chronicles books seem to teleport by folding space.
- A Wrinkle in Time: Mrs. Who, What, and Which can tesser, or wrinkle, which allows them to bend space and time in order to teleport and time-travel. This also allows them to visit spaces which are not three-dimensional. It is later revealed that the American government has been experimenting with this technique as well.
- "Topological crumpling" is a fairly common magical technique in the Marla Mason books.
- In Mage: The Ascension, Mages with high ability in the Sphere of Correspondence embody this trope.
- Palkia from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl/Platinum is said to be the "god of space". Its signature move is "Spacial Rend" which allows it to attack by warping the space around it.
- Time Mages in Final Fantasy Tactics have a few space-warping powers to go with their time and gravity powers; they can teleport, make themselves or others hover off the ground, or manipulate spacial forces to root a guy to the spot.
- This manifests as early as the Time Mage's series debut in Final Fantasy V; the class' ultimate spell happens to be Meteor.
- Xigbar from the Kingdom Hearts series has this as his ability, being capable of firing his laser arrows from angles other than where his gun is pointing, and changing the layout of the battlefield on a whim. Also overlaps with Gravity Master, in his ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
- Komachi Onozuka from Touhou has the power of "manipulation of distance". Canonically, she uses it to change the width of Sanzu river depending on the current passenger's virtue; Fanon often turns it into teleportation.
- DC Universe Online now has this choice of powers under the name of Quantum as well as Time Control
- Mind Mistress creates a spatial distortion shield to counter magical attacks. She figures, even if they're mystical, they still have to traverse three-dimensional space to get to her.
- Parley, from Gunnerkrigg Court has this ability. It begun to materialize in Chapter 23, where this power sends Antimony, Jones, Reynardine, Andrew and her from the simulator to Parley's room.
- In Homestuck, Space is one of the elemental aspects available to Sburb players, and one of the two which absolutely must occur in every session; Jade Harley is the Witch of Space in the human session, Kanaya Maryam is the Sylph of Space in the troll session and Calliope is the Muse of Space in her session. Space powers however are much closer to being Reality Warping due to being a bit of a Superpower Lottery jackpot. Additionally, all First Guardians have these abilities. So when Jade reaches God Tier by merging with her sprite (prototyped with her dead dream self and Becquerel, a First Guardian), she's able to take all of the kid's planets with them as they escape the Scratch.
- Academy of Superheroes Universe:
- Solar Max started as a gravity manipulator. Over time, his skills grew till he could (crudely) manipulate space-time. Devastator had the same power among others.
- Labyrinthe on the other hand is a mage specializing in spatial control.
- In the Whateley Universe, Mobius specializes in building pockets that are larger on the inside than the outside. Phase has paid Mobius to make a utility belt, and this is now a regular source of income for Mobius. Thuban can also do this trick with his warper power, and (among other things) has a car that has an interior the size of a two-story house.
- Vista from Worm is a powerful example, being able to distort any space in her sight, with tricks including shortening and lengthening the distance between her and objects, bending space to put shields in her path, and shrinking trail rations so that she can make supply runs on her own.