open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Berserk has the Godhand, who, once incarnated into the physical realm, can manipulate dimensions.
- The Magician from Darker Than Black Season Two used this power to summon weapons out of nowhere and No Sell attempted stabbings.
- In Saint Seiya, this is the usual power set for the Gemini Saint.
- Vampire Hunter D film (1985). The mutant Rei Ginsei has the power to warp space within his body. For example, when D's sword stabbed him he caused part of it to appear near D and stab him instead.
- Teleporter Espers (such as Kuroko Shirai and Awaki Musujime) from A Certain Magical Index distort space with their abilities.
- In Puella Magi Madoka Magica, The Witches manifest by warping space around them into their Witch Barrier.
- Haruhi Suzumiya (unwittingly), Yuki Nagato, and Ryoko Asakura have all done this.
- Both Kakashi and Tobi have space-bending Mangekyo Sharingan techniques. Kakashi can teleport whatever he focuses at through a portal, while Tobi's allows him to teleport anything he can touch (including himself) and intangibility. It turns out they're using the same technique and that their eyes are a pair, Tobi just knew how to use it better. Later on they are both capable of traveling in and out of the other dimension at will, suggesting that Kakashi mastered it by following Tobi's example.
- Both the Second and Fourth Hokage were also renowned for their space-time ninjutsu, which they used to Teleport Spam. To be specific, they can teleport to any location they have marked.
- In Rosario + Vampire, Akuha uses a technique called the Jigen-Tou, which by 'delaying her existence for a second' allows her to disrupt local spacetime in order to cut through anything just by waving her arm through it - rather than attacking an object directly, she's cutting the space it's occupying. Later, Tohou Fuhai shows us the completed form of the technique; it looks like this.
- In Fairy Tail, Minerva uses this magic, which she calls "Territory." It allows her to teleport herself or her opponents and manipulate any space she can see. Requip Magic, used by several other mages, also works this way in that it allows mages to store weapons or clothing in their own pocket dimensions.
- In Bleach, Nianzol Weizol has the title W - The Wind (as in winding path) for his ability. He can distort the space around him so enemy attacks turn away and he can distort people or things he comes near to tear them to pieces. However, while he doesn't have to see things to distort them, he has to be aware of them, making it possible to hurt him.
- Marvel Comics:
- The villain of Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy miniseries gains the amplified and combined powers of The Fantastic Four, and describes the Invisible Woman's force field power as "folding space."
- Any wielder of the Space Gem of Infinity Gauntlet fame.
- Deadpool uses this, as he is known to have a teleportation belt and Magic Satchel, which can carry ANYTHING Deadpool wants.
- The Flash foe the Folded Man wears a suit that allows him to manipulate his personal dimensions. He can flatten to a two-dimensional form which allows him to slice through objects more cleanly than the sharpest razor. By shifting into four dimensions, he can leave our plane and pop back anywhere he likes.
- Travelers in The Grimnoir Chronicles books seem to teleport by folding space.
- A Wrinkle in Time: Mrs. Who, What, and Which can tesser, or wrinkle, which allows them to bend space and time in order to teleport and time-travel. This also allows them to visit spaces which are not three-dimensional. It is later revealed that the American government has been experimenting with this technique as well.
- "Topological crumpling" is a fairly common magical technique in the Marla Mason books.
- In Kraken, a man with a knack for folding three-dimensional objects makes a brief appearance. He demonstrates by folding a cash register into an origami crane and back again. It's a great way to conserve luggage space. Earlier, he used it to fold two people into a small box, allowing them to bypass Billy's knacked defenses and kidnap him when he opened it.
Live Action TV
- Palkia from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl/Platinum is said to be the "god of space". Its signature move is "Spacial Rend" which allows it to attack by warping the space around it.
- Time Mages in Final Fantasy Tactics have a few space-warping powers to go with their time and gravity powers; they can teleport, make themselves or others hover off the ground, or manipulate spacial forces to root a guy to the spot.
- This manifests as early as the Time Mage's series debut in Final Fantasy V; the class' ultimate spell happens to be Meteor.
- Xigbar from the Kingdom Hearts series has this as his ability, being capable of firing his laser arrows from angles other than where his gun is pointing, and changing the layout of the battlefield on a whim. Also overlaps with Gravity Master, in his ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
- Komachi Onozuka from Touhou has the power of "manipulation of distance". Canonically, she uses it to change the width of Sanzu river depending on the current passenger's virtue; Fanon often turns it into teleportation.
- DC Universe Online has this choice of powers under the name of Quantum, as well as Time Control.
- Rosalina in Super Smash Bros. takes this to a literal extreme. She holds the whole cosmos beneath her gown, and she makes use of it by having several attacks invoke cosmic formations in front of her, such as mini nebulas and galaxies, in addition to warping the space around her to deflect projectiles and pull items closer to her.
- Mind Mistress creates a spatial distortion shield to counter magical attacks. She figures, even if they're mystical, they still have to traverse three-dimensional space to get to her.
- Parley, from Gunnerkrigg Court has this ability. It begun to materialize in Chapter 23, where this power sends Antimony, Jones, Reynardine, Andrew and her from the simulator to Parley's room.
- In Homestuck, Space is one of the elemental aspects available to Sburb players, and one of the two which absolutely must occur in every session; Jade Harley is the Witch of Space in the human session, Kanaya Maryam is the Sylph of Space in the troll session and Calliope is the Muse of Space in her session. Space powers however are much closer to being Reality Warping due to being a bit of a Superpower Lottery jackpot. Additionally, all First Guardians have these abilities. So when Jade reaches God Tier by merging with her sprite (prototyped with her dead dream self and Becquerel, a First Guardian), she's able to take all of the kid's planets with them as they escape the Scratch.
- The Nightmare Knight in Cucumber Quest shows the ability to open a rift in space.
- In The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob! both the Butterfly of Iron and the Cone Ship seem to have this ability to an extent. The Cone Ship is full of Alien Geometries that it can manipulate at will; while the Butterfly was able to "squash" the heroes' constituent de Broglie waves "nearly flat for just a moment," effectively making them blink out of existence for a few seconds.
- Academy of Superheroes Universe:
- Solar Max started as a gravity manipulator. Over time, his skills grew till he could (crudely) manipulate space-time. Devastator had the same power among others.
- Labyrinthe on the other hand is a mage specializing in spatial control.
- In the Whateley Universe, Mobius specializes in building pockets that are larger on the inside than the outside. Phase has paid Mobius to make a utility belt, and this is now a regular source of income for Mobius. Thuban can also do this trick with his warper power, and (among other things) has a car that has an interior the size of a two-story house.
- Vista from Worm is a powerful example, being able to distort any space in her sight, with tricks including shortening and lengthening the distance between her and objects, bending space to put shields in her path, and shrinking trail rations so that she can make supply runs on her own.
- Damsel of Distress fires off cone-shaped blasts of warped space and gravity that rend apart virtually anything they hit.
- Butcher XIV (aka the villain formerly known as Quarrel) has a space-bending power that ensures her attacks will always hit what she aims at — unless the target is outside her weapon's maximum range.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic gives us characters such as Twilight Sparkle (mostly with Teleport Spam, though also with occasional extras (e.g., Gravity Master)), Pinkie Pie (primarily a Hammerspace-loving fan of Breaking the Fourth Wall), Discord (pretty much a Jack-of-All-Trades Reality Warper), King Sombra (a shadowy Domain Holder and Fisher King who once made an entire kingdom vanish and can set Pocket Dimension-based traps), etc.
- One of the spinoffs, My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Friendship Games, gives us arguably the most destructive example yet: Midnight Sparkle, the Superpowered Evil Side of Twilight's Alternate Universe counterpart, is able to open portals left and right in her frantic attempt to reach Equestria For Science!, thus risking an interdimensional Reality Bleed unless she's stopped.