Webcomic: Bigger Than Cheeses
Bigger Than Cheeses is a humorous Web Comic chronicling the adventures of Thanatos, his Foil Duke, Duke's wife and Token Girl (and sometimes Ms. Fanservice) Natalie, penned by Desmond "Goonigoogoo" Seah. It can be found here.As of strip 876 the comic has ended.
Provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Unusually enough, this time it targets another AI. Sancho originally constructed a mate for himself named Cleo, but when he activated her Love Circuits, he was out of range, causing her to imprint on Thanatos instead.
- Art Evolution: one of the most blatant examples. Even for an 8 years old comic, the evolution is amazing.
- Cool Shades: Duke always sports a pair of these. One strip reveals that he doesnt even get rid of his old ones as they are replaced due to Art Evolution, he just puts his new ones on top of them.
- End of Series Awareness: The whole last story arc is this.
- Everything Explodes Ending: Used to the point of being a Running Gag.
- Fanservice: All of the female characters of the cast are subject to this.
- Flanderization: Inverted. Yes. Thanatos has become progressively less stupid and over-the-top with the years. He's still one of the most batshit insane webcomic characters in existence, though.
- Glasses Pull: David Caruso's (of CSI: Miami) characteristic Glasses Pull is parodied in this comic.
- Groin Attack: Sancho loves giving these out.
- Jesus Taboo: The name is a pun on the phrase "Bigger Than Jesus."
- Hollywood Hacking: this strip shows Dueling Hackers in Hollywood's version and the more realistic Cut the Juice. It provides the trope image for both the former trope and Mundane Solution.
- Medium Awareness: Used various times, most notably in the final story arc which crossed this with End of Series Awareness.
- Negative Continuity: In deference to Rule of Funny. Things like having a kid and being shot to death don't stick between strips.
- It's the Comic's way of recovering from Future Thanatos's rampage through the comic's multiverse.
- No Fourth Wall: Taken to the point where not only is it a running gag but The final storyline's plot.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Wang is one of these. He's a very special Non-Human Sidekick, being a 4-foot-tall rock.
- Running Gag: as you can expect from a webcomic that has lasted for 8 years and counting, there are many of them. For example, Desmond's ongoing battle against Wikipedia has recently returned.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: The creator's one-sided rivalry with Tim Buckley.
- All it took was finding out that his site code being reused without any credit to kick off this rivalry.
- Space Whale Aesop: in this comicKat: You shouldn't swing on your chair!
Thanatos: Why? What's the worst that can happen?
Kat: Well, I could wait 'till you're asleep and then cut of your penis with a rusty carving knife.
- He promptly stops swinging.
- Take That: CAD's convenient miscarrige. Too many times to list. An alternate ending for the final strip even uses this.
- Too Dumb to Live: Thanatos. His name is a Shout-Out to the Greek personification of death, because his idiocy seems to attract death and excessive violence wherever he goes.
- To be fair, Thanatos has become less and less stupid with the years, in a rare case of inversion of Flanderization.
- The Rant: Several strips are dedicated to the authors rage against various topics, most commonly Mac's and politics. They are literally just a stick figure version of him complaining about stuff.
- Robot Buddy: Sancho
- Yaoi Fangirl: Here.
- What Could Have Been: Word of God states that the original plan for the final storyarc was having the antagonist be the future son of Thanatos and Kat, rather than Thanatos himself, who was abandoned in the timestream due to the series ending before he grew up, and made him want revenge on his parents for getting to exist while he didnt. It would also have involved heavy Interface Screw, with the strip being literally disassembled and being used as fight props