Blaster Nation is a Slice of Life
webcomic created by Leslie Ortigio and Brad Brown. The webcomic centers around seven different characters in the fictional city of Sucre Marron, each with their own hobbies:
- Mathew Palmer: A fan of table-top gaming, magical girls, and space marines who just returned just from serving in an Air Force Haiti relief tour. Living with his parents, he tries to find his own place in the world. He likes to narrate his own life.
- Daniel Foreman: A hardcore gamer, Daniel is eager to please, but also easy to frustrate. He lives in an apartment with girlfriend Kimberly and roommate Rinnie. He aspires to be a video game journalist, but aspiring is all he really does. Or is it?
- Kimberly Adler: Daniel's girlfriend who loves to read books and works at a local bookstore, much to her delight. She is blindly devoted to Daniel and torn between Asleigh and Rinnie. She wants to write a mystery novel someday when she get her ideas together. She owns a ferret named Rikki.
- Erin "Rinnie" Wilhelm: A slacker and comic book expert, her military-trained parents are disappointed in her, prompting her to sail across the seas and stay with Kim. She likes cooking, paranormal investigation, and writing adult fan fiction. She dislikes job-finding.
- Ashleigh Hicks: A lonely otaku who lives in a trailer with her stepmother. Ashleigh lacks social skills and spends all her time on the internet, where she is well-known in her Deviantartist circle. She is very defensive when someone insults her favorite anime. She wants to be a self-published artist, but is afraid of what other people might think of her. Has a borderline obsessive crush on a mysterious fan fiction author.
- Derrick Dominque: An expert Beatmania expert who is clumsy and awkward. He is Hai's best friend since early childhood and met Dan and Matt sometime in high school. He is very concerened with his material goods, which stems from the fact that he comes from a moderately rich family. He dreams of playing music as he can in video games.
- Hai Wu: Derrick's best friend. A smooth guy who is not much better than Derrick at picking up chicks and is also a bit of leech (likes borrowing money, but hates paying back). Always concerned about his hair and clothes and is fond of fighting games. He usually hogs the Dance Dance Revolution machine at the arcade and plays nothing but the butterfly song on Hard Mode.
The link to the webcomic's archive is right here
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Ashleigh seems to be heading in this direction. The two times in which she was afraid some embarrassing secret was about to be discovered or revealed, her thoughts instantly turned to planning murder. Ash recognizes Rinnie as the fanfic writer she crushed on? She tries to brain her with a pipe wrench, being stopped only by copious levels of Slapstick and being too enamored by Rinnie's beauty(and all the time she spent "under the blanket" while reading her fanfics) to carry out the deed. Kim discovers an erotic drawing of Rinnie in her sketchbook? Ash is internally laying out plans on how to make her best friend's murder look like an accident, Kim's life only being spared by the pure dumb luck of her not recognizing that the drawing is supposed to be Rinnie. Spending so much of her time alone in her (very dark) room, with only her alcoholic mother and the internet to socialize with, seems to have had some very adverse effects on her psyche.
- Hikikomori: Ashleigh.
- Hypocrite: Rinnie derides Ashleigh's love of anime, but Kim calls her out on it by making her remember how she (Rinnie) was once an anime fan.
- Inner Monologue: Matt likes to do it when he gets the chance.
- Shout-Out: The ferret Rikki is named after the titular heroic mongoose in the classic The Jungle Book short story Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, written by Rudyard Kipling.
- The Slacker: Rinnie. Though, she's trying to get better recently.