"That is all I get? One pronoun?"You! The You! Exclamation is the classic expression of surprise and/or anger upon sighting another character, usually a nemesis. As several of these examples are clearly aware, this is kind of pointless for any reason besides that the extreme emotion the sight evokes needs some word to give it form, and as it is directed towards that character, the second-person pronoun is the only obvious choice. Sometimes, the person being addressed will respond with "Who else?" or "In the flesh" or some variation. A typical use of this exclamation is to demonstrate that the two characters know and don't like each other, but the audience doesn't yet know why. Sometimes the audience doesn't find out who the "You!" is until later. In Japanese media, it can get more complicated: many words in Japanese directly translate to "you," and depending on the word used, "you!" can connote anything from "hey, there" to "You Killed My Father, Prepare to Die," to anything in between. Pragmatic dubbers tend to use the connotation instead of the literal translation. In murder mysteries, "You!?" or a variation thereof is often Famous Last Words. When both parties have this reaction to seeing each other, it's "You!" Squared. Also compare Say My Name. See also No, You.
— The Sorrow, The Last Days Of FOXHOUND
You! Read These Examples:
open/close all folders
- At the end of Preacher, God says this upon seeing the Saint of Killers waiting for him at home. His response is typically understated.
Saint Of Killers: "Me."
- In Scott Pilgrim when Ramona comes back to life, Gideon exclaims this.
- Spider-Man has fun with this inThe Amazing Spider-Man #54:
Doc Ock: You!Spider-Man: That's mister to you!
- Queen Of All Oni: This is Drago's reaction upon confronting Blankman in the present. Since Drago is from the future, Blankman has no idea who he is and merely gives the requisite "Me?" in response.
- This was also Ozeki's reaction to meeting Tohru, for some reason, to the latter's confusion.
- Inner Demons: Queen!Twilight Sparkle's angry reaction when Spike confronts her in Fillydelphia.
- A Shadow Of The Titans: Upon confronting Beast Boy following his hitting her with an onion, Jade is so angry she is only able to snarl out one of these.
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero, Taniguchi receives Kunikida this way when the latter is arriving to their classroom so Kunikida has his complete attention on Taniguchi's Quit Your Whining speech.
- Calvinverse examples:
- This is the Dread Emperor's reaction to Leorin in the final scene of Shadowchasers Torment, right before a fight between them (with the outcome never revealed) starts.
Films — Animated
- In Aladdin, when he finally realizes Aladdin is back in the palace, Jafar addresses him with a You! Exclamation, then follows up with "How many times do I have to kill you, boy?!"
- In the third movie, the head guard does this when Aladdin helps his father escape from prison.
- The titular Corpse Bride gives two of these to Lord Barkis after he crashes the wedding. Well, more like a "You?" and then a "You!", but it's the same thing.
- In Toy Story, after he and Buzz are accidentally left at a petrol-station by Andy, Woody briefly rushes at Buzz with a You! Exclamation. In this case, its not a sign of recognition - rather Woody finally being pushed over the edge by all the trouble Buzz has inadvertently caused him.
- In An American Tail Warren says this when he notices Fievel spying on him through his mirror.
- In The Little Mermaid II Louis the chef runs across Sebastian (who caused him a lot of trouble in the first film) and screams "You!!", causing a terrified Sebastion to squeak out "you!". Hilarity Ensues.
- The Hunchbackof Notre Dame: "...Gypsy girl! Get down from there at once!"
- When Bambi tires of Faline's pranks he gives out a "You!" and chases her.
- In Wreck-It Ralph, King Candy doesn't say it, but his face reads "You!" with many exclamation marks when Vanellope passes him in the big race.
- Alex from Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa exclaims this when he sees the old lady on the tour jeep, the same old lady who beat him up in the first movie. Hilarity Ensues for a funny smackdown.
Films — Live-Action
- In Clue, Yvette spots her former boss or former lover's wife or someone else and exclaims "It's you!" just before being murdered.
- The entire cast directs it at Wadsworth when he reveals he shot the Singing Telegram Girl and was the Big Bad in Ending C.
- Played with in The Matrix Reloaded.
Agent: You!Smith: Yes, me.[jabs his hand into the agent and starts turning him into another Smith]Smith: Me, me, me...[The agent is now another Smith]Other Smith: Me too.[they exchange ghastly little smiles]
- Biff in Back to the Future Part II, upon seeing Marty - after being punched out by George.
- In Xanadu, the lead character has been painting an album cover featuring Olivia Newton-John's character. Later, when he sees her on the street, he yells out "You!" (and she answers "Me!")
- In Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, accompanied by a whopping Scare Chord, when Sweeney Todd suddenly reappears in his shop to confront the Beggar Woman for the last time.
- The beginning of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has Robin's father ride out of his castle to confront a gang of bad guys in masks. The leader takes his mask off, and Lord Loxley delivers the line. Later it's revealed that the leader is the Sheriff of Nottingham.
- At the end of RENT, Roger and Mimi have this exchange: "You!" "Me." "Mimi..." Probably an echo of that bit in-between La Vie Boheme A and I Should Tell You. "You [have HIV]?" "Me. You [too]?" "Mimi..."
- At the climax of Friday the 13th Part III, Final Girl Chris sees Jason without her mask and says "You!" at her when she realizes that the man that attacked her two years ago is Jason.
- In Home Alone 4: Taking Back The House, Marv slides downstairs soaked with water right to Kevin's feet, stares for a minute while attempting to regain his vision, and, seeing Kevin, shouts, "YOU!"
- A Nightmare on Elm Street:
- In A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Freddy and Nancy come face to face for the first time since she defeated him, and all he says is an angry "you".
- Freddy vs. Jason. When Lori interupts Jason's nightmare in which Freddy is killing him through drowning, Jason vanishes from the dream as he wakes up. Freddy turns to Lori, lets out an enraged "YOU!", and focuses his attention on her.
- Ghost Rider uses this quite a bit.
- Pale Rider. When killer-for-hire Stockburn is first told of unnamed preacher played by Clint Eastwood, it reminds him of someone "but that man is now dead." Earlier we saw the Preacher taking a bath, revealing multiple bullet scars. When Stockburn finally comes face to face with the Preacher, he just emits a shocked "You!" before drawing his gun, whereupon the Preacher kills him.
- In the first Conan the Barbarian (1982) movie, one of Thulsa Doom's henchmen, Rexor, exclaims that after seeing that Conan is Not Quite Dead in the big fight in the orgy chamber.
- In The Mummy, there's a You! Exclamation when Rick and Evy go to the library to find out what to do about Imhotep and find Ardeth Bey there.
- In The Mummy Returns, this is Imhotep's reaction to Rick after Rick confronts him with guns blazing, just after his re-awakening. Bonus points for the all-caps and multiple exclamation points in the subtitle: "YOU!!!!!!!!!!!"
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Brad does one of these when Frank seduces him.
- During the climax of X-Men, when Magneto traps the heroes in the Statue Of Liberty, he greets them with "Ah, my brothers!"... then casts a glare at Wolverine and snarls, "...and you."
- In Beethoven, when George comes home to find the house totally trashed with the staircase banister covered in drool, culminating in the dog lying on his bed soaking wet, he shouts this. Beethoven shakes himself off, getting him wet.
- During the battle in Recess: School's Out, Ugly Bald Guy says this when he sees T.J. again.
- In Get Smart, Agent 99 does this to Max when he enters CONTROL and she recognizes him as the man she just crashed into while jogging.
- In The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Smaug does this upon seeing Thorin in the Hall of Kings.
- Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome opens with Max having his vehicle stolen by Jedediah the Pilot, setting all the events in motion. By the time he catches up with the thief a horde of post-nuclear desert punks are on his tail, so Max has more urgent priorities than revenge.
Max: You. It's your lucky day.
Jedediah: It is?
Max: Uh-huh. You got a plane.
Jedediah: I have? (sound of plane starting up outside)
Max: It might just save your life.
Jedediah: It will?
"YOU! You can run, but you can't hide!"
- And in The Road Warrior Wez encounters Max again after their opening car chase.
- In What's Up, Doc?, stick-in-the-mud Howard attends a banquet, and runs into the ever-pursuant Judy pretending to be his fiancee Eunice:
Howard: You! You, you—!
Judy: —nice. Eunice, Howard. Eunice. (to guest) We've almost got that stammer cured. (to Howard) Sit down, dear.
Howard: How— How—?
Judy: HOW-ard. Howard. (to guest) He still gets stuck on names.
- During the climactic scene of The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Malcolm predicts that this will be how the rampaging Tyrannosaurus rex will react upon seeing his child with Malcolm and Harding. He's basically right.
- Snow White in Mirror, Mirror does this a lot, especially when confronted with the Queen.
- At the climax of The Bridge on the River Kwai, as a firefight breaks out between Warden's commandos and the Japanese soldiers guarding the bridge, the mortally wounded Shears struggles to the bank of the river to confront Colonel Nicholson for revealing the explosive charges on the bridge to the Japanese. However, his injuries are severe enough that the exchange consists of two words:
Nicholson: (shocked) You!?
Shears: (angry) YOU... (slumps lifelessly to the ground)
- The Duumvirate says this near the end.
- One of the The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy books has Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect bump into each other unexpectedly after a long separation. Arthur says "You!" Ford just sighs and prepares to assume his usual role. "What do you need to have explained this time?"
- Harry Potter
- Harry exclaims this upon seeing that the character after the Philosopher's Stone is not at all whom he expected.
- He also does it upon meeting Andromeda Tonks, mistaking her for her sister, Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Karkaroff in the fourth book also did this when he met Alastor Moody at Hogwarts.
- Asmodean's last words, apart from "No!" The identity of his killer was not revealed for eight further books (it was Graendal).
- Near the end of the third book of The Dark Tower by Stephen King, bad guy Gasher does it to Roland when the Gunslinger comes to rescue Jake.
Gasher looked up. "You," he snarled.
"Me," Roland agreed. He fired once, and the left side of Gasher's head disintegrated.
- At the end of Foundation in the Collegium Chronicles Mags receives one from the mad foreign assassin. His search to discover why the unknown assassin recognises him links in to discovering the identity of his parents, with both questions at least partially answered in the fourth book, and fully answered in the fifth.
- In the book Uglies, Shay screams this upon realizing that it was Tally who betrayed the Smoke, though not on purpose.
- In I Want My Hat Back the Bear shouts "YOU! YOU STOLE MY HAT!" when approaching the rabbit who stole his hat.
- Burn Notice: In the episode "Last Rites", when Pearce finally gets her revenge on the man who killed her fiance, he says exactly that.
Future Hiro: "You."Hiro: "Me?"
- Lost: Jack says this upon finding Desmond inside the hatch. As does Richard when he realizes the true identity of the impostor Locke.
- Power Rangers in Space/Power Rangers Lost Galaxy crossover: Psycho Red says this (with maximum venom) when he sees his old nemesis, Andros.
- Revolution: In the episode "The Song Remains the Same", Charlie says this to Tom Neville before knocking him out cold.
- Robin Hood: Allan A Dale's last word (onscreen, at least), because he recognises the commander of the army who has just shot him down.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: In one episode, Worf yells "You!" at Quark to complain about tampering with the Defiant's replicator.
- The X-Files: In the episode "Triangle", Mulder says this when it turns out the leader of the Nazis is the Cigarette Smoking Man. Of course the CSM doesn't know who Mulder is as it's All Just a Dream. Or Was It a Dream?
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Happened when The Bus Came Back in "As You Were". Buffy is working the counter at the Doublemeat Palace burger joint, when she suddenly realises the next customer is her ex-boyfriend Riley Finn.
Buffy: Doublemeat Palace, how can I help... you!
- The finale of Bizet's opera Carmen begins with Carmen's shocked exclamation "C'est toi!" as she notices Don Josť (who replies "C'est moi").
- Part of wrestler Hulk Hogan's "hulking up" comeback involves pointing at his opponent (with the crowd going "YOU!" as he does) after shaking in rage and shrugging off his opponent's attacks.
- The Ultimate Warrior's final promo on Raw in April 2014, delivered less than 24 hours before his death, included six straight "you"s.
- Zero Wing: "It's you!!" "How are you gentlemen?" You should know how this one ends. What you say?
- In Star Fox Adventures, when Krystal turns around after releasing the spirit, we see her in a tinted enemy POV shot looking at the viewer and yelling "Ak'j oei!" ("It's you!" in the game's substitution cypher language) just before she backs into a beam which pushes her into her namesake for the rest of the game. This is roughly how a few fans reacted to her continuing to appear outside of SFA.
- Sirius performs a pretty epic one to Regulus, just before the final final battle in Bomberman 64.
- Fallen Aribeth in Neverwinter Nights doesn't have an exclamation...it's simply a low, menacing "You."
- Guy in Fire Emblem Elibe greets Matthew with this, just before Matthew cashes in a favor Guy owed him from some time back to pull Guy out of a job and into your army
- The above-mentioned Zero Wing is not the only case of this trope intersecting with a "Blind Idiot" Translation. The arcade game Battle Rangers gives us "You! Invaders! Get you the hot bullets of shotgun to die!"
- One of Luigi's lines in Hotel Mario is "And YOU gotta help us!" (pointing finger included), causing YouTube Poop to exploit the "YOU" to no end.
- Baldur's Gate II:"You? You live yet? You have less than a fraction of your soul, and still you continue to oppose me?"
- Happens in Kingdom Hearts II on both sides when Pete meets Donald and Goofy again.
- A classic example occurs with Luxord.
"I'd rather we skip the formalities."
- In Special Episode 5 of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Dusknoir gives one of these to Grovyle upon waking up in the Bad Future.
- Given he only speaks in Zero Wing quotes, it should surprise nobody that Baron Vladmu says this as well.
- Deionarra uses this in Planescape: Torment when encountering The Nameless One in the Mortuary.
- Catalina in Grand Theft Auto III does this when she notices Claude survived the shooting in a late-game mission.
- In X-Men Legends, during Wolverine's flashback to his escape from the Weapon X facility, he catches up to the project director and is too angry to growl anything intelligible except "YOU!"
- In Portal 2, GLaDOS has this reaction after reactivating and noticing that Chell is standing in front of her.
GLaDOS: Oh. It's you.
- The Last Days of FOXHOUND #244, with Big Boss (in Liquid's body) encountering the Sorrow.
- And lampshaded in the same panel by The Sorrow. "Is that all I get? One pronoun?"
- Subverted in Starslip Crisis. Upon being confronted with his future self, Vanderbeam exclaims "You—ME!"
- Red's reappearance in Gunnerkrigg Court is marked by her pointing at Antimony and shouting, "It's you!"
- Skin Horse: Unity upon encountering Dr. Lee, because Lee created her. Promptly followed by strangling.
- Digger exclaims this on meeting up with the oracular slug again, who responds, "In the slime!"
- Shortpacked!: Robin's response to seeing someone who oh geez who could that mysterious shadowy figure be!?
- This strip from The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!. Jean and Bob got off to a rocky start.
- Here's a lengthy sequence of pronounless addressing in Dominic Deegan. For a more standard use, see this strip.
- In Homestuck, Exiles commonly talk to the kids using something along the lines of: Hey you. You there, boy/girl.
- In Evil Inc., it becomes apparent that Dr. Muskidae is Not Himself when he turns to Dr. Haynus and socks him while shouting, "YOU!"
- In an old collaborative storytelling/roleplaying project called The Chronicles of the Inn Between Realms, there's an example of this trope defied: A minor character has been summoned by another to his dwelling. When he gets there, the door is opened by a dangerous assassin he knows instead of the person who was supposed to be there. The assassin immediately slaps him on the face and gets him to come inside quickly; he then explains that the slap was to stop him from making a You! Exclamation (or exclaiming his name) and thereby potentially alerting onlookers that there was someone inside who shouldn't be.
- In RWBY, we have Weiss's Right Behind Me moment in The Shining Beacon Part II as Ruby was telling her older sister, Yang, about their previous encounter.
Ruby: I tripped over some crabby girl's luggage and then she yelled at me and then I sneezed and then I exploded and then she yelled again and then I felt really, really bad and I just wanted her to stop yelling at me.
Ruby: [leaps into Yang's arms] OH GOD, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!
Weiss: You're lucky we weren't blown off the side of the cliff!
Yang: Oh my God, you really exploded...
- Pinkie does this in Pinkie Pie's Exciting Adventure when she encounters The Unicorn in Part 3, preceded by a big gasp.
- In the Chaotic episode where Kaz and Peyton try to prove that he is the best chaotic player to the other one. There is a scene where Kaz goes into Ulmar's lab to scan a weapon for their battle. He bumps a cart with the door causing Ulmar to say this before throwing a fireball in Kaz's direction.
- Spoofed in the Garfield and Friends episode "Video Airlines", in a scene from Kung Fu Creatures on the Rampage 2 that Jon and Garfield keep coming across:
You! You're not Sylvia! You're one of the Kung Fu creatures on the Rampage! Two!
- In Animaniacs, when the Warners try to sell Albert Einstein cookies, he kicks them out because he's busy. When they return again, Einstein says "You!" and Yakko promptly pulls out a ewe and says "No, this is a ewe."
- Sponge Bob Squarepants has a short called "The Reefblower" in which this is the sole line of dialogue, spoken by SpongeBob, and even then it's not audible; it's subtitled.
- In the last part of the Five-Episode Pilot of Pirates of Dark Water, after Ioz pins Bloth down with arrows:
Bloth: You!Ioz: Yes, me. But enough small talk. Hand the Compass over or you're Dagron bait.
- In the episode "Accomplices" of The Spectacular Spider-Man, Rhino delivers one to Spidey after he tosses a traffic cone onto his horn.
Spider-Man: Whoa, I got the thing on the thing! What do I win?Rhino: YOU!Spider-Man: I win me?! That makes no sense.
- Done twice in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Fluttershy starts off her tirade against the cockatrice in "Stare Master" with "You! Who do you think you are, going around turning others into stone?!" Rainbow Dash and Little Strongheart also exclaim this at each other after Spike introduces everyone in "Over A Barrel".
- A few times on The Ren & Stimpy Show, Ren responded to Stimpy's hijinks with an irritated "You...". More often, "You" would be followed by "Eediot!" or "Sick little monkey!"
- Gravity Falls
- In "Double Dipper", after melting his photocopied clones to mush, Dipper believes they're all gone. Until he hears Tyrone exclaim "YOU!" from behind.
- In "Boss Mabel", Mabel gives one of these to Grunkle Stan when she gets tired of the shabby treatment he gives his employees and his customers.
- In "The Land Before Swine", Grunkle Stan gives one to Mabel's pet pig Waddles after the latter eats the former's corn-cob sculpture of a unicorn, driving away Stan's customers.
- Bill Cipher tosses out a few in "Dreamscaperers." "YOU! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I'M LIKE WHEN I'M MAD?"
- In Adventure Time, when the Flame Princess regains consciousness after getting wet, she sees Finn and says this.
- The Bugs Bunny cartoon "The Case Of The Missing Hare" has Bugs squaring off against magician Ala Bahma in retaliation for a pie in the face he received earlier. As Bugs instigates a game of "Guess who?":
Ala Bahma: You!Bugs: (breathing heavily and angrily in Bahma's face) Yes, me! Ya didn't expect ta see me again...eh? Svengali?
- An episode of Western Animation/Justice League has Darkseid appear on the Watchtower, eliciting this response from Superman... followed by a punch so hard that Darkseid crashing into the wall nearly knocked the space station out of orbit.
- Played for horror in the Steven Universe episode "Chille Tid". When Steven psychically contacts Jasper, all she can say is "you" with increasing desperation while she tries to crawl towards him, before she's swiftly dragged back under by Lapis.
You! We really appreciate you.