"That is all I get? One pronoun?"
The You! Exclamation
is the classic expression of surprise and/or anger upon sighting another character, usually a nemesis.
As several of these examples are clearly aware
, this is kind of pointless for any reason besides the fact that the extreme emotion the sight evokes needs some
word to give it form, and as it is directed towards that character, the second-person pronoun is the only obvious choice.
Sometimes, the person being addressed will respond with "Who else?" or "In the flesh" or some variation.
A typical use of this exclamation is to demonstrate that the two characters know and don't like each other, but the audience doesn't yet know why. Sometimes the audience doesn't find out who the "You!" is until later.
and videogames originating in Japan, it can get more complicated: many words in Japanese directly translate to "you," and depending on the word used
, "you!" can connote anything from "hey, there" to "You Killed My Father
, Prepare to Die
," to anything in between. Pragmatic dubbers
tend to use the connotation instead of the literal translation.
In murder mysteries, "You!?" or a variation thereof is often Famous Last Words
When both parties have this reaction to seeing each other, it's "You!" Squared
. Also compare Say My Name
. See also No, You
You! Read These Examples:
open/close all folders
- Queen Of All Oni: This is Drago's reaction upon confronting Blankman in the present. Since Drago is from the future, Blankman has no idea who he is and merely gives the requisite "Me?" in response.
- This was also Ozeki's reaction to meeting Tohru, for some reason, to the latter's confusion.
- Inner Demons: Queen!Twilight Sparkle's angry reaction when Spike confronts her in Fillydelphia.
- A Shadow Of The Titans: Upon confronting Beast Boy following his hitting her with an onion, Jade is so angry she is only able to snarl out one of these.
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero, Taniguchi receives Kunikida this way when the latter is arriving to their classroom so Kunikida has his complete attention on Taniguchi's Quit Your Whining speech.
- Calvinverse examples:
Films — Animated
- In Aladdin, when he finally realizes Aladdin is back in the palace, Jafar addresses him with a You! Exclamation, then follows up with "How many times do I have to kill you, boy?!"
- In the third movie, the head guard does this when Aladdin helps his father escape from prison.
- The titular Corpse Bride gives two of these to Lord Barkis after he crashes the wedding. Well, more like a "You?" and then a "You!", but it's the same thing.
- In Toy Story, after he and Buzz are accidentally left at a petrol-station by Andy, Woody briefly rushes at Buzz with a You! Exclamation. In this case, its not a sign of recognition - rather Woody finally being pushed over the edge by all the trouble Buzz has inadvertently caused him.
- In An American Tail Warren says this when he notices Fievel spying on him through his mirror.
- In The Little Mermaid II Louis the chef runs across Sebastian (who caused him a lot of trouble in the first film) and screams "You!!", causing a terrified Sebastion to squeak out "you!". Hilarity Ensues.
- The Hunchbackof Notre Dame: "...Gypsy girl! Get down from there at once!"
- When Bambi tires of Faline's pranks he gives out a "You!" and chases her.
- In Wreck-It Ralph, King Candy doesn't say it, but his face reads "You!" with many exclamation marks when Vanellope passes him in the big race.
- Alex from Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa exclaims this when he sees the old lady on the tour jeep, the same old lady who beat him up in the first movie. Hilarity Ensues for a funny smackdown.
Films — Live-Action
- In Clue, Yvette spots her former boss or former lover's wife or someone else and exclaims "It's you!" just before being murdered.
- Played with in The Matrix Reloaded.
Smith: Yes, me.
[jabs his hand into the agent and starts turning him into another Smith]
[The agent is now another Smith]
Other Smith: Me too.
[they exchange ghastly little smiles]
- Biff in Back To The Future Part II, upon seeing Marty - after being punched out by George.
- In Xanadu, the lead character has been painting an album cover featuring Olivia Newton-John's character. Later, when he sees her on the street, he yells out "You!" (and she answers "Me!")
- In Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, accompanied by a whopping Scare Chord, when Sweeney Todd suddenly reappears in his shop to confront the Beggar Woman for the last time.
- The beginning of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has Robin's father ride out of his castle to confront a gang of bad guys in masks. The leader takes his mask off, and Lord Loxley delivers the line. Later it's revealed that the leader is the Sheriff of Nottingham.
- At the end of Rent, Roger and Mimi have this exchange: "You!" "Me." "Mimi..."
- Probably an echo of that bit in-between La Vie Boheme A and I Should Tell You. "You [have HIV]?" "Me. You [too]?" "Mimi..."
- In Home Alone 4: Taking Back The House, Marv slides downstairs soaked with water right to Kevin's feet, stares for a minute while attempting to regain his vision, and, seeing Kevin, shouts, "YOU!"
- A Nightmare on Elm Street:
- In A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Freddy and Nancy come face to face for the first time since she defeated him, and all he says is an angry "you".
- Freddy vs. Jason. When Lori interupts Jason's nightmare in which Freddy is killing him through drowning, Jason vanishes from the dream as he wakes up. Freddy turns to Lori, lets out an enraged "YOU!", and focuses his attention on her.
- Ghost Rider uses this quite a bit.
- Pale Rider. When killer-for-hire Stockburn is first told of unnamed preacher played by Clint Eastwood, it reminds him of someone "but that man is now dead." Earlier we saw the Preacher taking a bath, revealing multiple bullet scars. When Stockburn finally comes face to face with the Preacher, he just emits a shocked "You!" before drawing his gun, whereupon the Preacher kills him.
- In the first Conan the Barbarian (1982) movie, one of Thulsa Doom's henchmen, Rexor, exclaims that after seeing that Conan is Not Quite Dead in the big fight in the orgy chamber.
- In The Mummy, there's a You! Exclamation when Rick and Evy go to the library to find out what to do about Imhotep and find Ardeth Bey there.
- In The Mummy Returns, this is Imhotep's reaction to Rick after Rick confronts him with guns blazing, just after his re-awakening.
- Bonus points for the all-caps and multiple exclamation points in the subtitle: "YOU!!!!!!!!!!!"
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Brad does one of these when Frank seduces him.
- During the climax of X-Men, when Magneto traps the heroes in the Statue Of Liberty, he greets them with "Ah, my brothers!"... then casts a glare at Wolverine and snarls, "...and you."
- In Beethoven, when George comes home to find the house totally trashed with the staircase banister covered in drool, culminating in the dog lying on his bed soaking wet, he shouts this. Beethoven shakes himself off, getting him wet.
- During the battle in Recess: School's Out, Ugly Bald Guy says this when he sees T.J. again.
- In Get Smart, Agent 99 does this to Max when he enters CONTROL and she recognizes him as the man she just crashed into while jogging.
- In The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Smaug does this upon seeing Thorin in the Hall of Kings.
- Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome opens with Max having his vehicle stolen by Jedediah the Pilot, setting all the events in motion. By the time he catches up with the thief a horde of post-nuclear desert punks are on his tail, so Max has more urgent priorities than revenge.
Max: You! Jedediah:
You. It's your lucky day. Jedediah:
It is? Max:
Uh-huh. You got a plane. Jedediah:
I have? (sound of plane starting up outside
) Max: It might just save your life
It will? Max:
"YOU! You can run, but you can't hide!"
- In What's Up, Doc?, stick-in-the-mud Howard attends a banquet, and runs into the ever-pursuant Judy pretending to be his fiancee Eunice:
Howard: You! You, you—!
Judy: —nice. Eunice, Howard. Eunice. (to guest) We've almost got that stammer cured. (to Howard) Sit down, dear.
Howard: How— How—?
Judy: HOW-ard. Howard. (to guest) He still gets stuck on names.
- The Duumvirate says this near the end.
- One of the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books has Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect bump into each other unexpectedly after a long separation. Arthur says "You!" Ford just sighs and prepares to assume his usual role. "What do you need to have explained this time?"
- Harry Potter
- Harry exclaims this upon seeing that the character after the Philosopher's Stone is not at all whom he expected.
- He also does it upon meeting Andromeda Tonks, mistaking her for her sister, Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Karkaroff in the fourth book also did this when he met Alastor Moody at Hogwarts.
- Asmodean's last words, apart from "No!" The identity of his killer was not revealed for eight further books (it was Graendal).
- Near the end of the third book of The Dark Tower by Stephen King, bad guy Gasher does it to Roland when the Gunslinger comes to rescue Jake.
Gasher looked up. "You," he snarled.
"Me," Roland agreed. He fired once, and the left side of Gasher's head disintegrated.
- At the end of Foundation in the Collegium Chronicles Mags receives one from the mad foreign assassin. His search to discover why the unknown assassin recognises him links in to discovering the identity of his parents, with both questions at least partially answered in the fourth book.
- In the book Uglies, Shay screams this upon realizing that it was Tally who betrayed the Smoke, though not on purpose.
- In I Want My Hat Back the Bear shouts "YOU! YOU STOLE MY HAT!" when approaching the rabbit who stole his hat.
- The finale of Bizet's opera Carmen begins with Carmen's shocked exclamation "C'est toi!" as she notices Don José (who replies "C'est moi").
- The Last Days of FOXHOUND #244, with Big Boss (in Liquid's body) encountering the Sorrow.
- And lampshaded in the same panel by The Sorrow. "Is that all I get? One pronoun?"
- Subverted in Starslip Crisis. Upon being confronted with his future self, Vanderbeam exclaims "You—ME!"
- Red's reappearance in Gunnerkrigg Court is marked by her pointing at Antimony and shouting, "It's you!"
- Skin Horse: Unity upon encountering Dr. Lee, because Lee created her. Promptly followed by strangling.
- Digger exclaims this on meeting up with the oracular slug again, who responds, "In the slime!"
- Shortpacked!: Robin's response to seeing someone who oh geez who could that mysterious shadowy figure be!?
- This strip from The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!. Jean and Bob got off to a rocky start.
- Here's a lengthy sequence of pronounless addressing in Dominic Deegan. For a more standard use, see this strip.
- In Homestuck, Exiles commonly talk to the kids using something along the lines of: Hey you. You there, boy/girl.
- In Evil Inc., it becomes apparent that Dr. Muskidae is Not Himself when he turns to Dr. Haynus and socks him while shouting, "YOU!"
- In an old collaborative storytelling/roleplaying project called The Chronicles of the Inn Between Realms, there's an example of this trope defied: A minor character has been summoned by another to his dwelling. When he gets there, the door is opened by a dangerous assassin he knows instead of the person who was supposed to be there. The assassin immediately slaps him on the face and gets him to come inside quickly; he then explains that the slap was to stop him from making a You! Exclamation (or exclaiming his name) and thereby potentially alerting onlookers that there was someone inside who shouldn't be.
- In the Chaotic episode where Kaz and Peyton try to prove that he is the best chaotic player to the other one. There is a scene where Kaz goes into Ulmar's lab to scan a weapon for their battle. He bumps a cart with the door causing Ulmar to say this befor throwing a fireball in Kaz's direction.
- Spoofed in the Garfield and Friends episode "Video Airlines", in a scene from Kung Fu Creatures on the Rampage 2 that Jon and Garfield keep coming across:
You! You're not Sylvia! You're one of the Kung Fu creatures on the Rampage! Two!
- In Animaniacs, when the Warners try to sell Albert Einstein cookies, he kicks them out because he's busy. When they return again, Einstein says "You!" and Yakko promptly pulls out a ewe and says "No, this is a ewe."
- Sponge Bob Squarepants has a short called "The Reefblower" in which this is the sole line of dialogue, spoken by SpongeBob, and even then it's not audible; it's subtitled.
- In the last part of the Five-Episode Pilot of Pirates of Dark Water, after Ioz pins Bloth down with arrows:
: Yes, me. But enough small talk. Hand the Compass
over or you're Dagron bait.
- In the episode "Accomplices" of The Spectacular Spider-Man, Rhino delivers one to Spidey after he tosses a traffic cone onto his horn.
- Done twice in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Fluttershy starts off her tirade against the cockatrice in "Stare Master" with "You! Who do you think you are, going around turning others into stone?!" Rainbow Dash and Little Strongheart also exclaim this at each other after Spike introduces everyone in "Over A Barrel".
- A few times on Ren and Stimpy, Ren responded to Stimpy's hijinks with an irritated "You...". More often, "You" would be followed by "Eediot!" or "Sick little monkey!"
- Gravity Falls
- In "Double Dipper", after melting his photocopied clones to mush, Dipper believes they're all gone. Until he hears Tyrone exclaim "YOU!" from behind.
- In "Boss Mabel", Mabel gives one of these to Grunkle Stan when she gets tired of the shabby treatment he gives his employees and his customers.
- In "The Land Before Swine", Grunkle Stan gives one to Mabel's pet pig Waddles after the latter eats the former's corn-cob sculpture of a unicorn, driving away Stan's customers.
- In Adventure Time, when the Flame Princess regains consciousness after getting wet, she sees Finn and says this.
- The Bugs Bunny cartoon "The Case Of The Missing Hare" has Bugs squaring off against magician Ala Bahma in retaliation for a pie in the face he received earlier. As Bugs instigates a game of "Guess who?":
Ala Bahma: You!
Bugs: (breathing heavily and angrily in Bahma's face) Yes, me! Ya didn't expect ta see me again...eh? Svengali?
- An episode of Justice League had Darkseid appear on the Watchtower, eliciting this response from Superman... followed by a punch so hard that Darkseid crashing into the wall nearly knocked the space station out of orbit.
We really appreciate you.