Web Video: You Know What's Bullshit?
You know what's bullshit? This page. And we're gonna tell you all about it...You Know What's Bullshit?
is a Web Original
video series by James Rolfe
. It's perhaps his second-most-popular series after The Angry Video Game Nerd
Keeping up with the Caustic Critic
/ Accentuate the Negative
formula which made him famous, Rolfe in this series plays the Bullshit Man, who is very angrily complaining about everyday annoyances, such as pay toilets, malfunctioning printers, shoelaces and movies about penguins
The series had an initial 2007-2012 run before going on a two-year hiatus and coming back in the fall of 2014.You can check the series here
YKWBS provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: This series is all about it. You should guess by the title!
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In the iTunes episode, the Bullshit Man enumerates the following things iTunes does at start-up.
BS Man: Now, it bounces a few times, shows me a beach ball, and when it finally starts, it tells it's searching for Genius results, accessing the iTunes Store, updating playlist information, contacting Mars, raising shields, activating atomic soundwave booster, scanning for nuclear barracudas.
- The Bus Came Back: After episode 26, which was filmed on October 16th, 2012, there was no mention of the Bullshit Man. Not until his surprise return in The Angry Video Game Nerd episode on Tiger games did we know that he's still alive and kicking. It also helps that he's a playable character in The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures. Furthermore, episode 27 was released in November 2014, followed by five more in the next month.
- Catch Phrase: Take a guess.
- Caustic Critic: Well, obviously!
- Charlie Brown from Outta Town: Emphasis on the brown. The Bullshit Man is obviously James Rolfe in a large, shitty-looking bullshit mask.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Episode 21, on assholes. Ohhhh boy.
- Cross Over: The Bullshit Man does a short episode about plastic packaging in the The Angry Video Game Nerd episode about Tiger Electronic games.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Equal-Opportunity Offender: The BS Man has a solution to people who hate the different cultures' ways of celebrating the holidays or have a dislike to the term "Happy Holidays." Let's instead call it "HAPPY SHUT THE FUCK UP!"
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The Bullshit Man'd prefer less movies about penguins, and more movies about Pygmy Marmosets, who are the proof God has a sense of humor.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Inverted: the Bullshit Man is sick of movies about penguins. Especially when March of the Penguins, Happy Feet, and Surf's Up came out barely months after each other.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The punchline at the end of episode 25.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In the Printers episode, when he mentions wanting to print out a word document, such a document appears on the screen briefly. It's the script for the Printers episode of You Know What's Bullshit.
- The Faceless: Until The Reveal.
- Follow the Leader: Just like the AVGN, this show has its knockoffs from other "angry reviewers".
- Halloween Episode: The Episode on Vampires
- Have You Tried Rebooting?: The Bullshit Man tries this when he's having trouble with his printer. It doesn't help.
- Improv: Episode 15 on DVD and Blu-ray cases are all shot on the spot, including a line he accidentally said wrong.
BS Man: -Of the DVD-
Camera Man: Blu-ray!
BS Man: Blu-ray, whatever the fuck it is!
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Don't watch episode 14 before seeing the Cream Cheese episode. By the way, don't look at the picture near to the link.
- Literal-Minded: The "Grass" episode. He basically describes how bulls eat grass, digest it, and then shit it out, making it actually fit the title.
- The "Assholes" episode too.
- Noodle Incident: The Bullshit Man is depicted as a regular human (James Rolfe as himself), in an illustration, for the pay toilets episode. In a much later episode, Bullshit Man laments that he "never used to look like this". But, he never elaborates on how he came to look that way.
- Once an Episode: The Bullshit Man starts each episode with "You know what's buuuullllshit?" and ends with "X is bullshit", or some variation.
- Overly Long Gag: DVD packaging has been the focus of no less than three separate episodes.
- Region Coding: The BS Man (and even James himself) has nothing but loath towards this.
- The Reveal: The Bullshit Man is eventually revealed to have a face literally made out of bullshit.
- Road Apples: A big literal pile of bullshit being defecated in the title card. What more can we ask for?
- Serial Escalation: How long and loud can he do the Title Drop?
- Shaped Like Itself: Everything said in the episode "Amps That Don't Go Up to 11" is called out by the Bullshit Man as bullshit.
- Something Completely Different: There are a few episodes that is not so much about complaining, but is rather a comedic act. The grass episode is an educational segment on cow biology for example.
- Stopped Numbering Sequels: His complaint in the twelfth video.
- Strawman Has a Point: He is a caricature of people who complain about things that can't be helped. And yet, we'd bet an arm you can't help but agree with much of the stuff he says.
- Stylistic Suck: Episode 15.
- Talking Poo: The Bullshit Man's true nature.
- Title Drop: At the beginning of every episode.
- Especially on episode 25.
- Up to Eleven: He is perplexed as to why there are no amps that go Up to Eleven, especially after knowing that This Is Spinal Tap demonstrated them.
- User Operation Prohibit Flag: One of the Bullshit Man's many complaints about the DVD format. He likes how you can fast-forward through anything you want on VHS.
- Visual Pun: The show's intro features a bull producing, well, bullshit.
- Wham Episode: Episode #13: Too Much Cream Cheese.
...and that's bullshit.