Your Answer to Everything
A Stock Phrase to note one character's preference for something for any situation. See also Duct Tape for Everything and Wild Card Excuse. Closely related to The All Solving Hammer, especially when that's all you've got.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Soul Eater: Maka says this to Soul Eater about him using brute force early in the series.
- In the Seeker Bears manga called Toklo's story, when the Big Bear roars at Oka to keep her cubs away from him or else, Oka retorts that threats is his answer to everything. And remember that this bear is the father of Toklo and Tobi...
Oka: Threats. Always threats. That's your answer to everything, isn't it?
- The Yu-Gi-Oh! dub eventually acknowledged how much they'd ramped up Kaiba's Agent Scully / Flat Earth Atheist angle. When Kaiba dismisses a filler villain's abandoned body turning to crystal and collapsing as another "cheap trick"... "Is that your answer to everything, Kaiba? You really need a new Catch Phrase."
- Rainbow Dash to Twilight in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (IDW), upon Twilight suggesting going to the library (in this case to shelter themselves from the infected horde}.
- In Yugioh The Abridged Series, Mako has a problem with harpoons.
Yugi: That's your answer to everything, just throw a harpoon at the problem.
- In Ultra Fast Pony, Spike advocates solving all problems with tomato juice.
Twilight: Are you sure tomato juice is good for snake bites?
Spike: I am a talking dragon.
Twilight: So is that a yes or a no?
Spike: Tomato juice is good for everything!
Twilight: I think I just peed in the tub.
Spike: More tomato juice, then!
- Racer and the Geek features Sunny Breeze dealing with absolutely everything by downing prodigious amounts of booze first and going from there.
Films — Animation
- Implied in The Lion King:
Pumbaa: Oh... I always thought they were balls of gas, burning billions of miles away.
Timon: Pumbaa, with you, everything's gas.
- Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Mother T. rex: [Roars]
Sid: Oh, that's your answer to everything. I don't exactly call that communication. I say they're vegetarian, you say "grrr". I say can we talk about it, you say "grrr". That's not what I call communication.
Mother T. rex: GRRRRRR!
Sid: See, that's your answer to everything!
Films — Live-Action
- The Big Lebowski:
The Dude: Ah, fuck it.
The Big Lebowski: Fuck it! Yes! That's your answer. That's your answer for everything! Tattoo it on your forehead!
- Baby (2000)
John Malone: Is that what this is about, you blame me for what happened? There was nothing we could do!
Lily Malone: Oh yeah? What was it then? Fate, kismet? Isn't that your answer for everything?
- Clerks II: After failing to come up with his usual wisdom-filled speech for the movie, Silent Bob is called "fucking useless" by Jay. And finally strikes back at him with this.
Silent Bob: You know, that hurts, man. What do you ever contribute to the proceedings? You've got one answer for everything: "Pussy, man."
- In My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Toula's father's solution for everything is Windex.
- Boardwalk Empire: In the series finale, Tommy Darmody to Nucky Thompson.
Ross: Well, yeah, I think we should get married!
Rachel: What? Because that's your answer to everything?
- Frasier episode "Daphne Hates Sherry"
Daphne: Sex. That's your answer for everything. It's like you're part rabbit. People ought to rub your feet for luck.
- Will and Grace episode "Lows in the Mid-Eighties":
Grace: Mom! This isn't fair!
Bobbi Adler: Well, neither is my cottage cheese ass!
Grace: Why is that your answer to everything?
- In an episode of Red Dwarf, "Meltdown", the Dwarfers find themselves on a planet inhabited by droids of famous historical and fictional figures, who are fighting a war between Good and Evil. On the Good side, the Pythagoras droid continually suggests tactics involving triangles, much to the annoyance of the Albert Einstein droid.
Pythagoras: I still feel there's a solution, probably involving triangles.
Einstein: Pythagoras, what is it with you? Always with the triangles, your solution to everything is triangles! There are problems that can't be solved by triangles!
- A literal example: J.D. and Turk meet Old MC, a young MC impersonator, who's answer to everything is "Bust a move." At first they have fun with this, asking him different questions, but it quickly gets old.
- There was a Running Gag for a short that when someone expresses doubt about a relationship, Carla would just tell her to marry the guy so that the four of them could have a double dinner date together.
"When in doubt, C-4"
- When Ron decides to go off the grid in Parks and Recreation, he has trouble convincing his wife:
Ron: Have you considered moving? I hear the school system in the tunnels underneath Yucca Mountain is adequate.
Diane: I love you, but your solution to everything is to go live inside a mountain.
- Legacy of Kain:
Moebius: Your only solution for every problem: kill...
Kain: This is not a debate. You see, this time, you have nothing that I want.
- A commercial for Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure has Stealth Elf asking Boomer if "BLOW IT UP!" is his answer for everything. Unfortunately for her, something exploded as soon as she asked.
Boomer: I couldn't hear ya, because it got BLOWED UP!
- Final Fantasy X-2: Shinra always goes "I'm just a kid." whenever he gets stuck with no other answers to give people in order to avoid responsibility.
- Penny Arcade Adventures: Apparently getting high is Tycho's go-to solution. In this case, though, he meant the team needed to climb on top of something to reach the boss' weak spot.
- Dragon Age II - This occurs between a Sarcastic Hawke and Fenris if you max out the latter's Rivalry.
Fenris: I am finally free - but none of it feels like it should. This "freedom" tastes like ashes.Hawke: I always thought it tasted like chicken.Fenris: Yes, joke. That's your answer for everything, isn't it?
- Homestar Runner: The Best Decemberween Ever:
Coach Z: Well, Homestar, I'll tell ya. Buying a Decemberween present for Strong Bad is like a great sports play.
Homestar: Let me guess. I can't just rush into the score zone.
Coach Z: Hey, that's right!
Homestar: Coach! That's your answer for everything!
Coach Z: Oh. Mouthwash?
- Sluggy Freelance:
Random extra #1:No, Lieutenant, the celebrity surprise is not Princess-Princess popping out of a cake. Is that your answer for everything?Random extra #2: Only because it solves everything.
- "GOFOTRON Champion of the Cosmos":
Riff: Kesandru's precise wards are tied to wood, mortar, plaster... various mundane materials that share one important quality. They all can be blown up.
- "Kesandru's Well":
Torg: Riff, that's always your plan!
Riff: It's more of a philosophy.
- 8-Bit Theater
Black Mage: What makes you qualified to make that kind of judgement?
- Red Mage's is the following:
Red Mage: Mastery of animal husbandry, of course.
(for reference, they are repairing an airship)
Black Mage: Why is that your answer for everything? (beat) How is that your answer for everything?
Red Mage: There is no problem that cannot be overcome by an imaginative and vigorous use of the animal husbandry skill.
- Also, Black Mage with murder.
- Keychain of Creation:
Marena: How did you avoid getting hurt this time?
Secret: Dodge Charms.
Marena: Is that your answer to everything?
Secret: Because it is the answer to everything.
Fedya: We not have problem if you let me use sledgehammer.
Shilo: Dude, the sledgehammer’s your answer to everything.
- Rusty and Co. does it beautifully in the very first strip.
Rusty: Eat axe?
Mimic: No, ya whacked-out cock-a-roach. We just get the thing and bring it back.
Rusty: Eat dwarf?
Mimic: Lissen, ain't nobody eating nothin', you get it?
- xkcd has the beret-wearing existentialist, whose answer to everything is something about baking and/or scones. Best illustrated here:
Megan: Okay, what airline?
Beret Man: I'm following you.
Megan: ...I'm following you.
Beret Man: I assumed we were walking to a bakery.
Megan: You always assume that!
- The 10 Doctors: The Second Doctor to the Third, when he suggests they Reverse the Polarity to solve their current problem.
- Kickassia, Part 1:
Lee: Maybe we can jump on him and use his turtle shell to get extra points!
Critic: That's your answer to everything.
Lee: Well it would work if you gave it a shot!
- Doctor Moley Can Help: "PILLS!!!!" Doctor Moley was actually offended once when someone asked if he also offered cream.
- The Brows Held High review of Blood For Dracula applies this to the film's Deus Sex Machina.
Mario: (in the movie) You oughta lose that, uh, virginity of yours.
Kyle: (watching the movie) Mario, that's your answer for everything.
- Ben 10 episode "Truth":
Ben Tennyson: I don't get it. How come you didn't tell Phil about the Omnitrix?
Grandpa Max: That's on a need-to-know-basis only Ben, the less people who know the better.
Gwen Tennyson: Guess that's your answer to everything, isn't it, Grandpa?
- Clerks: The Animated Series episode 3 with the long name:
Randal Graves: And the lightsaber, you turn it on and it goes yea-high. How does it know when to stop?
Dante Hicks: The Force?
Randal Graves: Man, that's your answer for everything.
- Hypernauts episode "Battle at Vekara":
Russell 'Ace' Antonov: We've got to get this ship some firepower!
Noriko 'Max' Matsuda: Is that your answer for everything? Firepower?
- The Penguins of Madagascar:
Private: Oh, Rico! Chainsaw's your answer to everything!
- The Simpsons
- This exchange from a Halloween special:
(Maggie has mutated into an alien and Marge takes her to the doctor's office)
Marge: So what's your diagnosis?
Dr. Hibbert: Fire! And lots of it.
Marge: (sigh) That's your cure for everything.
- Also Homer's plan to escape being slandered by the media: Start a new life Under the Sea.
Marge: Homer that's your solution to everything, to move under the sea. It's not gonna happen!
Homer: Not with that attitude!
- This exchange from a Halloween special:
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, "Suited for Success":
(Situation: Rarity is having a Heroic BSOD because her career seems to be ruined.)Twilight Sparkle: Now what do we do?
Fluttershy: Um... panic?
Rainbow Dash: That's your answer for everything!
- Spinelli's friends in Recess: School's Out say this about Spinelli threatening to "introduce" the students who aren't cooperating to her "good friend Madame Fist" — a callback to an early episode of the series when she threatens to do the same to anyone who gives Gus a hard time.
- Played with in Futurama with Deep Blue, the world's foremost chess-playing computer.
Deep Blue: Bishop to knight 4.
Al Gore: Not all missions can be solved with chess, Deep Blue. Someday you'll understand that.
- Drawn Together: Xandir asks why Toot has a tendency to eat anything that doesn't work, up to and including a television.
Toot: I couldn't find the remote.