Your Answer to Everything
A Stock Phrase
one character's preference for something for any situation
See also Duct Tape for Everything
. Closely related to The All Solving Hammer
, especially when that's all you've got
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Yugioh The Abridged Series, Mako has a problem with harpoons.
Yugi: That's your answer to everything, just throw a harpoon at the problem.
- In Ultra Fast Pony, Spike advocates solving all problems with tomato juice.
Twilight: Are you sure tomato juice is good for snake bites?
Spike: I am a talking dragon.
Twilight: So is that a yes or a no?
Spike: Tomato juice is good for everything!
Twilight: I think I just peed in the tub.
Spike: More tomato juice, then!
Films — Animation
- Implied in The Lion King:
Pumbaa: Oh... I always thought they were balls of gas, burning billions of miles away.
Timon: Pumbaa, with you, everything's gas.
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Mother T. rex: [Roars]
Sid: Oh, that's your answer to everything. I don't exactly call that communication. I say they're vegetarian, you say "grrr". I say can we talk about it, you say "grrr". That's not what I call communication.
Mother T. rex: GRRRRRR!
Sid: See, that's your answer to everything!
Films — Live-Action
- The Big Lebowski:
The Dude: Ah, fuck it.
The Big Lebowski: Fuck it! Yes! That's your answer. That's your answer for everything! Tattoo it on your forehead!
- Baby (2000)
John Malone: Is that what this is about, you blame me for what happened? There was nothing we could do!
Lily Malone: Oh yeah? What was it then? Fate, kismet? Isn't that your answer for everything?
- Clerks II: After failing to come up with his usual wisdom-filled speech for the movie, Silent Bob is called "fucking useless" by Jay. And finally strikes back at him with this.
Silent Bob: You know, that hurts, man. What do you ever contribute to the proceedings? You've got one answer for everything: "Pussy, man."
- In My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Toula's father's solution for everything is Windex.
Ross: Well, yeah, I think we should get married!
Rachel: What? Because that's your answer to everything?
- Frasier episode "Daphne Hates Sherry"
Daphne: Sex. That's your answer for everything. It's like you're part rabbit. People ought to rub your feet for luck.
- Will and Grace episode "Lows in the Mid-Eighties":
Grace: Mom! This isn't fair!
Bobbi Adler: Well, neither is my cottage cheese ass!
Grace: Why is that your answer to everything?
- In an episode of Red Dwarf, "Meltdown", the Dwarfers find themselves on a planet inhabited by droids of famous historical and fictional figures, who are fighting a war between Good and Evil. On the Good side, the Pythagoras droid continually suggests tactics involving triangles, much to the annoyance of the Albert Einstein droid.
Pythagoras: I still feel there's a solution, probably involving triangles.
Einstein: Pythagoras, what is it with you? Always with the triangles, your solution to everything is triangles! There are problems that can't be solved by triangles!
- A literal example: J.D. and Turk meet Old MC, a young MC impersonator, who's answer to everything is "Bust a move." At first they have fun with this, asking him different questions, but it quickly gets old.
- There was a Running Gag for a short that when someone expresses doubt about a relationship, Carla would just tell her to marry the guy so that the four of them could have a double dinner date together.
"When in doubt, C-4"
- When Ron decides to go off the grid in Parks and Recreation, he has trouble convincing his wife:
Ron: Have you considered moving? I hear the school system in the tunnels underneath Yucca Mountain is adequate.
Diane: I love you, but your solution to everything is to go live inside a mountain.
- Legacy of Kain:
- A commercial for Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure has Stealth Elf asking Boomer if "BLOW IT UP!" is his answer for everything. Unfortunately for her, something exploded as soon as she asked.
Boomer: I couldn't hear ya, because it got BLOWED UP!
- Final Fantasy X-2: Shinra always goes "I'm just a kid." whenever he gets stuck with no other answers to give people in order to avoid responsibility.
- Penny Arcade Adventures: Apparently getting high is Tycho's go-to solution. In this case, though, he meant the team needed to climb on top of something to reach the boss' weak spot.
- Dragon Age II - This occurs between a Sarcastic Hawke and Fenris if you max out the latter's Rivalry.
Fenris: I am finally free - but none of it feels like it should. This "freedom" tastes like ashes.
Hawke: I always thought it tasted like chicken.
- Homestar Runner: The Best Decemberween Ever:
Well, Homestar, I'll tell ya. Buying a Decemberween
present for Strong Bad is like a great sports play. Homestar:
Let me guess. I can't just rush into the score zone. Coach Z:
Hey, that's right! Homestar:
Coach! That's your answer for everything! Coach Z:
- Sluggy Freelance:
- "GOFOTRON Champion of the Cosmos":
Random extra #1:No, Lieutenant, the celebrity surprise is not Princess-Princess popping out of a cake. Is that your answer for everything?
Random extra #2: Only because it solves everything.
Riff: Kesandru's precise wards are tied to wood, mortar, plaster... various mundane materials that share one important quality. They all can be blown up.
Torg: Riff, that's always your plan!
Riff: It's more of a philosophy.
- 8-Bit Theater
- Red Mage's is the following:
What makes you qualified to make that kind of judgement? Red Mage: Mastery of animal husbandry, of course.
(for reference, they are repairing an airship
) Black Mage:
Why is that your answer for everything? (beat
is that your answer for everything? Red Mage:
There is no problem that cannot be overcome by an imaginative and vigorous
use of the animal husbandry skill.
- Keychain of Creation:
Marena: How did you avoid getting hurt this time?
Secret: Dodge Charms.
Marena: Is that your answer to everything?
Secret: Because it is the answer to everything.
Fedya: We not have problem if you let me use sledgehammer.
Shilo: Dude, the sledgehammer’s your answer to everything.
- Rusty and Co. does it beautifully in the very first strip.
Eat axe? Mimic:
No, ya whacked-out cock-a-roach. We just get the thing and bring it back. Rusty:
Eat dwarf? Mimic:
Lissen, ain't nobody eating nothin', you get it?
- xkcd has the beret-wearing existentialist, whose answer to everything is something about baking and/or scones. Best illustrated here:
Megan: Okay, what airline?
Beret Man: I'm following you.
Megan: ...I'm following you.
Beret Man: I assumed we were walking to a bakery.
Megan: You always assume that!
- The 10 Doctors: The Second Doctor to the Third, when he suggests they Reverse the Polarity to solve their current problem.
- Kickassia, Part 1:
Lee: Maybe we can jump on him and use his turtle shell to get extra points!
Critic: That's your answer to everything.
Lee: Well it would work if you gave it a shot!
- Doctor Moley Can Help: "PILLS!!!!" Doctor Moley was actually offended once when someone asked if he also offered cream.
- The Brows Held High review of Blood For Dracula applies this to the film's Deus Sex Machina.
Mario: (in the movie) You oughta lose that, uh, virginity of yours.
Kyle: (watching the movie) Mario, that's your answer for everything.
- Ben 10 episode "Truth":
Ben Tennyson: I don't get it. How come you didn't tell Phil about the Omnitrix?
Grandpa Max: That's on a need-to-know-basis only Ben, the less people who know the better.
Gwen Tennyson: Guess that's your answer to everything, isn't it, Grandpa?
- Clerks: The Animated Series episode 3 with the long name:
Randal Graves: And the lightsaber, you turn it on and it goes yea-high. How does it know when to stop?
Dante Hicks: The Force?
Randal Graves: Man, that's your answer for everything.
- Hypernauts episode "Battle at Vekara":
Russell 'Ace' Antonov: We've got to get this ship some firepower!
Noriko 'Max' Matsuda: Is that your answer for everything? Firepower?
- The Penguins of Madagascar:
Oh, Rico! Chainsaw's
your answer to everything!
- The Simpsons
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, "Suited for Success":
(Situation: Rarity is having a Heroic BSOD because her career seems to be ruined.)
Now what do we do? Fluttershy:
Um... panic? Rainbow Dash:
That's your answer for everything!
- Spinelli's friends in Recess: School's Out say this about Spinelli threatening to "introduce" the students who aren't cooperating to her "good friend Madame Fist" — a callback to an early episode of the series when she threatens to do the same to anyone who gives Gus a hard time.
- Played with in Futurama with Deep Blue, the world's foremost chess-playing computer.
Bishop to knight 4. Al Gore:
Not all missions can be solved with chess, Deep Blue. Someday you'll understand that.
- Drawn Together: Xandir asks why Toot has a tendency to eat anything that doesn't work, up to and including a television.