Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 04 E 24 The Quickening
Bashir and Dax arrive on a Dominion ravaged world, and set to work trying to cure the fatal blight all the populace have been cursed with.
- Bittersweet Ending: Bashir fails to cure the people living with the blight, but he accidentally figures out how to immunize their unborn children.
- Heroic BSOD: Bashir goes into one when his attempts to help only make things worse. He comes out of it when they finally yield some measure of success.
- Mandatory Line: Sisko doesn't appear until the final scene.
- Meaningful Name: Trevean is an anagram of "veteran" and Ekorio is an anagram of "rookie." The writer, Naren Shankar, said that kind of thing helps him with characterization.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Bashir's medical equipment only makes the disease worse.
- Wasteland Elder: Trevean.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Dax gives a beautiful one to Bashir, telling him that it's pure arrogance to think that there isn't a cure for the Blight simply because he couldn't find it. Funnily enough, this is in the wake of Bashir chastising himself for arrogance of a different kind—thinking that he could find a cure so easily for a disease that had gone uncured for so long.