Sisko and the Defiant crew join forces with the Jem'Hadar to stop a group of Jem'Hadar renegades from gaining power. They are made aware of an Iconian gateway, which they destroy.
This episode provides examples of:
- Badass Creed:
Omet'iklan: I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This, we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember - victory is life.
Jem'Hadar: Victory is life.
- Followed by a Starfleet version;
Miles O'Brien: I am Chief Miles Edward O'Brien, I am very much alive and intend to stay that way.
Sisko: Amen, lets get it done!
- Blue and Orange Morality: When a Jem'Hadar Second (in command) gets in a fight with Worf, both are punished. However, the Jem'Hadar First kills his second as punishment, and calls Sisko weak for not killing Worf, who is confined to quarters when not on duty for the remainder of the mission. This also extends to other areas, as the episode serves to showcase the Jem'Hadar mentality.
- Continuity Nod: The Iconian gateways reappear from the TNG episode, "Contagion." Worf later recalls his experience and what the Enterprise crew was forced to do.
- Expendable Clone: Weyoun (4) is killed in the very same episode that he is introduced in, but that's okay because the Vorta are all mass-produced clones.
- Note that they later introduced the clone concept PURELY to bring back Weyoun, and, as such, at the time, the assumption was that Weyoun had been Killed Off for Real.
- Foreshadowing: It is mentioned that Odo will one day be punished for killing a fellow Changeling.
- Older than They Look: After getting into a discussion about his own age:
Jem'Hadar: How old are you?
Jadzia: I stopped counting at 300.
Jem'Hadar: You don't look it.
Jadzia: Thank you.
- The Profiler: According to Weyoun, Sisko's psychological profile is required reading for all Vorta.
Weyoun: I probably know things about you you don't know yourself!
- Portal Door: The Iconian gateway connects to an instantanious Portal Network that had allowed the Iconians to rule an empire 200k years ago, so the danger of the Jem'Hadar getting control of it is even more pronounced as a result.
- Serious Business: How the Jem'Hadar view the white distribution, much to Weyoun's annoyance.
- Smarter Than You Look: Weyoun's Jem'Hadar knew about the gateway all along, much to his surprise.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: The Jem'Hadar and the Defiant crew are only united by the desire to wipe out the renegades and make it explicitly clear (More-so on the Jem'Hadar's side) that if they were not on this mission that they would kill the other side in a heartbeat.
- Undying Loyalty: Omet'iklan tells Weyoun that the Jem'Hadar are more loyal to the Founders than the Vorta will ever be.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: The Starfleeters and the Jem'Hadar plan out and rehearse the operation step-by-step. As soon as they beam down to carry it out for real, things start going wrong, forcing them to improvise.
- We Can Rule Together: Weyoun asks Sisko what he would say to being absolute ruler of The Federation. Sisko naturally rejects the offer and Weyoun says "Just doing my job."
- You Look Familiar: Jeffrey Combs pops by yet again, this time as Weyoun.
- Younger than They Look: The Jem'Hadar that talks to Jadzia is eight, saying the species is able to fight by their third day of life and that living to age 20 grants "Honored Elder" status.