Odo and Eddington confront Sisko over a possible Maquis smuggler on board Deep Space 9. And Sisko is shocked to learn the suspect is none other than Kassidy
- The Bad Guy Wins: Eddington plays the entire crew like a set of spoons.
- Downer Ending: Eddington escapes, Kassidy is arrested and Sisko is left alone again.
- Motive Rant: A big one delivered by Eddington.
Eddington: I know you. I was like you once, but then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves paradise. Everyone should want to be in the Federation. Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day they can take their "rightful place" on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious. You assimilate people and they don't even know it.
- Papa Wolf: When Sisko confronts Kassidy about the Maquis' activities, his biggest worry is whether or not Jake might get hurt in an attack.
- Unwitting Pawn: Eddington was just using Kassidy as a decoy so he could get away with the replicators headed for Cardassia.