When one partner has to go somewhere and the other wants more sex. Often used to show just how devoted a character is to the task at hand — they're refusing sex
in order to get on with it — while their Satellite Love Interest
only has one thing
on the brain
. That, or it just serves to suggest the character is that good in bed
. Alternately, it can lead to Coitus Uninterruptus
A common, more chaste use is when one character gets up in the middle of the night to contemplate something (Common in mystery and Urban Fantasy
stories) and their significant other wakes up and asks their beloved to come back to bed, so they can sleep.
- In Macross Plus, after Isamu and his co-worker/friend-with-benefits Lucy have had sex, Isamu is woken up by a call. He answers it but Lucy tells him to go back to be with her so he hangs up. The call was from his ex-girlfriend Myung, who has caught quite a Distress Ball and needs urgent help. Guld ends up saving her instead.
- Actually, it's more complicated. The call was from Sharon, impersonating Myung, who back then was trapped in a fire. She was attempting to either bring Myung and Isamu together, instigate a fight between Isamu and Guld when the both showed up to save her, or kill Myung outright; Sharon was the one who overloaded a circuit and started the fire that put Myung in danger, then attempted to kill both Myung and Guld when Isamu didn't show up.
- Some of the earlier James Bond films.
M: Moneypenny, where's 007?
Moneypenny: He's on a mission, sir. In Austria.
[Bond receives message]
Girl: What happened? Where are you going?
Bond: Sorry. Something came up.
Girl: But, James, I need you.
: So does England!
- This is a Subversion, though, in that said girl is a KGB informant, who goes on to inform KGB assassins of Bond's position (er, location).
- Implied in Rear Window, where a newlywed couple move into an apartment close to the protagonists. They close their blinds, and are not seen for a while. After a few days, the man is seen leaning out of the window, and his wife calls him back.
- Harrison Ford's character pretends to do this in Frantic to stop a pair of Mossad agents roughing up the French girl who's helping him (actually Ford had just sneaked in the window).
- The Crazies (1973). Happens as a Mood Whiplash after the opening scene where a man burns his family to death. The two protagonists, a volunteer firefighter and a nurse, tease each other about ignoring the ringing phone and blaring fire siren.
- In The Incredibles, when Bob is heading to work his wife pulls him back once he's already out the door, using her elastic arms. This is presumably as close as a family film could get to hinting at Elastigirl "using her powers in the bedroom".
- Dr. Strangelove: General Turgidson is called to the War Room, leaving his girlfriend protesting - in keeping with the overall theme of the movie he tells her "You just start your countdown, and ol' Bucky'll be back before you can say 'BLAST OFF!'"
- In a flashback to when he was Lord Marshall of the Necromongers, Riddick is shown drinking on his throne, ignoring the allure of four naked women in his bed. When we see the cold eyes of his Royal Harem, we understand why.
- A combination of the two uses occurs in The Bacta War, with Corran being called back to bed by Mirax while he's up late at night, worrying over what he's gotten them all into (at the end of the last novel, he resigned his commission because the politicos wouldn't let him go after the Big Bad, and the rest of the squadron followed).
- This also occurs near the start of I, Jedi, before Mirax gets kidnapped and Corran is wondering if he should accept Luke's offer to join the academy after all.
- Duke Nukem3d
Duke: My name's Duke Nukem! After a few days of R&R, I'll be ready for more action!
Woman: Aww, come back to bed, Duke! I'm ready for some action, nowww!
- God of War. "Stay, Kratos. Just a bit longer."
- Fahrenheit (AKA Indigo Prophecy) has Tyler do this to his girlfriend Sam. She's seducing him on their anniversary when the phone rings regarding the murder case he's working on. Annoyingly the game won't let you just stay with the hot girl and won't continue until you answer the phone and leave for work. Sam is understandably pissed.