It worked, didn't it?
We're shameless, we will do anything
To get our fifteen minutes of fame
We have no integrity, we're ready to crawl
To attain celebrity, we'll do anything at all
Whatever the cost, these characters have to be the center of attention. They don't even care about embarrassing themselves. That would just get them more attention... negative or positive
, as long as all eyes are on them.
But isn't this page what they want? No, this page is telling you attention is all they want, and warning you that such people in Real Life
are only out for themselves. They don't really care about any side, and if you think they do, you are actually giving them what they want.
Usually an attribute of the Alpha Bitch
. A few Upper Class Twits
do this. Often goes hand-in-hand with a Small Name, Big Ego
. A Troll
thrives as long as this trope is in effect.
A pathological form of this in Real Life
is Histrionic Personality Disorder
. It's also a trait of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
. Acquired Situational Narcissism
is a more benign "15 minutes of fame" form - where the situation the person is in is driving the behavior, and which usually ends when the situation does. Of course, not all Attention Whore
behavior is pathological — some of it is intentional and used for PR or promotional purposes. The pathological forms are also generally more extreme and more personal — for example, an Attention Whore
who is relatively harmless toward other people or themselves in their attempts to get attention or celebrity (e.g. an unusual fashion style, giving everyone business cards) is probably not
suffering from a personality disorder, but is simply a bit of a Shameless Self-Promoter
. One who manipulates another individual into giving them attention or acts out in abuse toward innocent people to gain attention is more likely to suffer from the disorders.
A Sister Trope
to Cam Whore
, Drama Queen
, Shameless Self-Promoter
Contrast Shrinking Violet
open/close all folders
- Subject of a song by That Handsome Devil, "Powderbomb";
Guilt don't stop you anymore; Attention whore, attention whore
- Deconstructed in "Save Me", by Poets Of The Fall: the singer is developing self-destructive tendencies in his quest for attention. Lampshaded in the chorus:
I'm my own worst enemy
Running headlong to the wall
'Cause I want my freebie.
- Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" is an example and a meta-example.
You probably think this song is about you...
- The subject of "Tommy Gun" by The Clash, which mocks terrorists who get a kick reading about their exploits in the news.
- Billy Joel's "Big Shot" is a sneering Reason You Suck Speech directed at an Attention Whore.
- In Les Guignols De L Info, the puppet caricaturing Nicolas Sarkozy is very much an Attention Whore. Whenever he tries to tone it down, because it's making him unpopular, it causes him considerable amount of stress.
- Cyrano de Bergerac: Ragueneau is one at Act II Scene IV, Ragueneau's friends, the poets, don't make much of an attempt to conceal that they are there not to hear Ragueneau's poetry, but to eat his pastries. But he is too charmed by the attention they give to him to care:
Lise: (entering, to Ragueneau) Here they come, your mud-bespattered friends!
First Poet: (entering, to Ragueneau) Brother in art!...
Second Poet: (to Ragueneau, shaking his hands) Dear brother!
Third Poet: High soaring eagle among pastry-cooks!
(he sniffs) Marry! it smells good here in your eyrie!
Fourth Poet: 'Tis at Phoebus' own rays that thy roasts turn!
Fifth Poet: Apollo among master-cooksó
Ragueneau: (whom they surround and embrace) Ah! how quick a man feels at his ease with them!...
- Chicago: Roxie Hart, so much. From her eponymous song:
Roxie: I love the Audience!
Chorus: And we love her!
Roxie: And I love the audience for loving me!
Chorus: And we love her for loving us!
Roxie: And we love each other. Because none of us got enough loving in our childhoods.
- In Christopher Durang's "Vanya and Sonya Masha and Spike," Masha's much younger boyfriend, "craves attention as all actors do." He leaps all over the furniture and strips down to his underwear for no reason. He even does a reverse strip tease and puts on his clothes on in an incredibly sexual way,