"There is a very fine line between loving life and being greedy for it."
Some characters don't care about anybody but themselves. This means that they want everything in the world to themselves and aren't willing to share them with others. They often go to extreme lengths to get all the things they want. This is one of the main reasons why Humans Are Bastards
. Here is an index dealing with selfish and greedy characters.
Compare Ego Tropes
and Obsession Tropes
. Their favorite index is Money Tropes
. Contrast Selflessness Tropes
- Above Good and Evil: Screw right and wrong, I'm doing what I want!!
- All Take and No Give: Taking is better than giving.
- Always Save the Girl: MY relationship with the girl is more important than others' suffering!
- Apathetic Citizens: We got better things to do than to help save some homeless people.
- Artifact of Attraction: Everyone is selfish over one single object.
- Ate It All: A character who is often a Big Eater ends up eating food intended for others.
- Attention Whore: PAY ATTENTION TO ME AND ME ONLY, GODDAMMIT!!
- Bystander Syndrome: Let the cops get the robber. I've got better things to do than to do their job.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Selfish authority figures.
- Con Man: I play people for fools to get what I want.
- Crazy Survivalist: I'm preparing myself for this catastrophe. I don't care about you!
- Deal with the Devil: If the Big Bad has your best desires, then you better accept his offer you can't refuse.
- Death by Materialism: A character gets a Karmic Death for their greed.
- Despotism Justifies the Means: The villain only wants to be in charge just because.
- Dirty Coward: Putting their own safety above others'.
- The Ditherer: To some extent, it's selfish to not make a decision for others.
- Egocentrically Religious: Expecting an deity to do things for him.
- Entitled Bastard: These idiots only help me and my problems.
- Gold Digger: Women don't care about you. They care about your money.
- Gold Fever: I want gold!
- Greed: Self-explanatory. It's one of the Seven Deadly Sins.
- The Hedonist: I care about my pleasure and mine alone!
- Heroic Team Revolt: Sometimes, The Hero can be selfish in refusing to save others, so the rest of his companions do it themselves.
- It Amused Me: Doing things for your own enjoyment.
- It's All About Me: The ultimate attitude of selfishness and greed.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Fans can be selfish by caring about the action more than the creator's entire work.
- Lack of Empathy: Who needs to share emotions with these humans?
- Loveable Rogue: Breaks the rules for their own benefit, but is somewhat likable.
- Miser Advisor: I only wanted to be your friend so I can get your money.
- Never My Fault: Caring about yourself more than taking responsibility for your actions.
- Nominal Hero: Sometimes, a hero's motivations have nothing to do with the good of others.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: I'm not here for what's going on.
- Only in It for the Money: Characters do things because they expect to get paid.
- Opportunistic Bastard: Takes advantage of the plans of others to advance himself.
- Personal Gain Hurts: Where selfish desires have bad consequences.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Even Evil Has Standards. True, but I'm always in it for myself.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: If you're good to me regardless of your actions, you're good. If you're a nice person but don't agree with me, you're bad.
- Reluctant Gift: Even if you have to give away something, you can't help clinging to it.
- The Scrooge: Cares about their own wealth more than others.
- Self-Serving Memory: This is how I interpret it...
- Signed Up for the Dental: I work here so I can get healthcare.
- Slimeball: I'm selfish and I always show it!
- Smug Snake: I use and crush foolish people so I can get what I want.
- The Social Darwinist: It's survival of the fittest, not let's work together.
- Spoiled Brat: The little kid is selfish and self-centered.
- Royal Brat: The little kid in a royal family is selfish and self-centered.
- Taking Advantage of Generosity: Selfishness by exploiting others' kindness.
- The Unapologetic: Caring more about yourself than the people whose feelings you hurt.
- The Unfettered: I'm gonna get what I want, and I don't care who I have to step on or who suffers to get it.
- Wasteful Wishing: If wishing for something that's unimportant seems selfish, then so be it.
- What Have You Done for Me Lately?: You're only valuable if you do things for me and me only!
- Wild Card: I'm on nobody's side. I'm on my side!