Western Animation: The Good Dinosaur
The Good Dinosaur is an upcoming American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is currently scheduled to be released on November 25, 2015. It is the studio's sixteenth feature film. Bob Peterson, who came up with the idea for the story, directed The Good Dinosaur until August 2013, when he was removed from the film. It will now be directed by Peter Sohn.
- A Boy and His X: Inverted. The highly civilized "X" (in this case, an apatosaurus) adopts a rather feral boy, in the style of Ice Age.
- Alternate History: The movie is set in a world where dinosaurs never became extinct and Jurassic dinosaurs like Apatosaurus and Stegosaurus coexist with Cretaceous dinosaurs like Triceratops and Parasaurolophus and even prehistoric mammals like the giant bison that existed in the ice ages.
- Artistic License – Astronomy: When the asteroid passes by the Earth, it leaves a streak like a shooting star; in reality such a trail is the blazing tail formed when an object burns up in Earth's atmosphere and so something passing by Earth would not have a trail.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Spot the human is a mere 3-feet tall. Arlo is a 70-foot-tall dinosaur. Needless to say, it's challenging for Spot to interact with his massive animal friend.
- Disappeared Dad: According to the new plot, Arlo loses his father in an accident.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Floral Theme Naming/Location Theme Naming: Momma and Poppa Apatosaurus named their youngest child 'Arlo'. Arlo is the Old English word for hill.
- Gentle Giant: Arlo.
- Giant Equals Invincible: Subverted. Arlo may be huge, but the world is far bigger, and natural hazards and obstacles will often make him vulnerable.
- Herbivores Are Friendly: Herbivores are described as being the "farmers" of dinosaur society. The trope may end up being subverted, however, as one of the film's stated goals is to break the dinosaur stereotypes viewers are used to.
- In Spite of a Nail: In real life, the only reason modern mammals diversified and humans evolved at all is because dinosaurs became extinct.
- Intellectual Animal: In the movie, humans don't have the ability to speak, but the dinosaurs do.
- Kid Hero: Arlo, the lively 11-year-old Apatosaurus with a big heart.
- Mix-and-Match Critter: One of the characters is a ceratopsian with three horns like a Triceratops and the spiked frill of a Styracosaurus. The trailer also shows a viper-lizard hybrid.note
- Ptero Soarer: The Nyctosaurus in the US trailer has teeth and birdlike talons. It also has wing claws, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that Nyctosaurus is notable for being the only pterosaur that lacked those. The Ludodactylus also have birdlike talons, but they fare a little better.
- Raptor Attack: May be on its way to averting this, as Word of God confirms Velociraptor will have feathers.
- Seldom Seen Species: The teaser shows Nyctosaurus, Ludodactylus, and long-horned bison.
- Stock Dinosaurs: What ordinarily would be a case of Artistic License – Paleontology is subverted by the premise of the film: set in an alternate universe, where the cataclysmic asteroid that forever changed life on Earth actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct.
- This Is My Human: During his travels through the wilderness, Arlo gains an unlikely companion. A small, but feisty orphan human. He's utterly alone in the world. Humans have only started to emerge in the world, they haven't evolved to the point where they're capable of communicating beyond yells, grunts and cries. Arlo kindly adopts the little boy, and names him "Spot".
- Tyrannosaurus rex: Butch and his two children, Nash and Ramsey.