Western Animation: The Good Dinosaur
Official logo.The Good Dinosaur
is an upcoming American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar
Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is currently scheduled to be released on November 25, 2015. It is the studio's sixteenth feature film. Bob Peterson, who came up with the idea for the story, directed The Good Dinosaur
until August 2013, when he was removed from the film. It will now be directed by Peter Sohn.
- Alternate History: The movie sets in a world where dinosaurs never became extinct and Jurassic dinosaurs like Apatosaurus and Stegosaurus coexist with Cretaceous dinosaurs like Triceratops and Parasaurolophus.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Arlo the youngest child of the Apatosaurus family, is a bit of a misfit. He's obsessed with studying bugs and insects, which the other dinosaur farmers despise since they ruin their crops.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Spot the human is a mere 3-feet tall. Arlo, is a 70-foot-tall dinosaur. Needless to say, its challenging for Spot to interact with his massive animal friend.
- Domesticated Dinosaurs: Dinosaurs are the dominant race on Earth, having evolved through the ages, and the herbivores became farmers, forming an agrarian society. It is unknown what the carnivores' roles would be.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Floral Theme Naming/Location Theme Naming: Momma and Poppa Apatosaurus named their children, 'Forrest', 'Cliff', 'Ivy' and 'Arlo'. Arlo is the Old English word for hill.
- Gentle Giant: Arlo.
- Giant Equals Invincible: Subverted. Arlo maybe huge, but the world is far bigger, and natural hazards and obstacles will often make him vulnerable.
- Intellectual Animal
- Kid Hero: Arlo, the lively teenage Apatosaurus with a big heart.
- Stock Dinosaurs: What ordinarily would be a case of Artistic License – Paleontology is subverted by the premise of the film. Set in an alternate universe, where the cataclysmic asteroid that forever changed life on Earth, actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct.
- Swallowed Whole: Averted. Spot starts attacking Arlo (who is a hundred times bigger than him), forcing the dinosaur to close him in his mouth until he can behave himself. Spot then attacks Arlo's uvula like a punching-bag. The dinosaur struggles not to swallow him, then is forced to cough him out. (Good thing, too, considering apatosaurs are herbivorous).
- This Is My Human: During his travels through the wilderness, Arlo gains an unlikely companion. A small, but feisty orphan human. He's utterly alone in the world. Humans have only started to emerge in the world, they haven't evolved to the point where they're capable of communicating beyond yells, grunts and cries. Arlo kindly adopts the little boy, and names him "Spot".
- Unusual Animal Alliance: The different species of dinosaur all work together to farm the land, each function as their own farm equipment. Triceratops act as bulldozers. Stegosaurus mow down and gather up crops. Apatosaurus work as giant ploughs in preparation for sowing seeds, and so on.