"The fearless are merely without fear. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."Not all heroes are fearless. Some of them are characterized by nervousness, timidity, reluctance to go anywhere near danger — all the hallmarks of a coward. Yet when push comes to shove, they will always be right there in the thick of the action, doing whatever it takes to accomplish their objective and get themselves and their teammates out alive. Unlike Took a Level in Badass, these characters don't get over their fearful ways after a single moment of glory. They remain scaredy-cats and/or insecure in their regular lives despite the fact that they can kick major ass when they put their minds into it. Many of them will tell everyone to Think Nothing of It, because they think the fear they felt trumps the heroism they performed. These characters may also be Combat Pragmatists who get the job done by using brains rather than brawn when they go up against enemies that outclass them and they know they'll get killed if they just charge in and attack. Typically, his closest friends know exactly what he is capable of and know they can depend on him in crises, with a little prompting of course. Usually, inverse of Miles Gloriosus. Unlike The So-Called Coward, this character is not actually misunderstood and does not need to be viewed by other characters as cowardly; it is his own opinion that matters. (And the so-called coward may be perfectly confident in his own courage.) Unlike the Accidental Hero, the examples in this trope are characters that manage to get things done with their own worth, despite their fears. Contrast the Fearless Fool — especially when it is invoked to encourage him. Prone to Heroic Self-Deprecation and Face Your Fears. See also Lovable Coward.
— James A. Lafond-Lewis
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
open/close all folders
- Tojo in The Lion King Adventures is a literal example.
- Hobbes is exaggerated into this in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series.
- In the Hunger Games fanfiction Some Semblance of Meaning, the heroine, Vale, is a kind-hearted Shrinking Violet who is (understandably) terrified of going into the arena and being forced to fight her fellow tributes to the death. However, when it comes to defending the people she cares about, she is no pushover.
- Played for Laughs in the RWBY fic Impromptu Midterms. The teams are sent to eradicate a nest of Grimm cubs, and Jaune ends up dragged into the middle of it. So while everyone else is fighting the cubs, they keep hearing his screams of terror...and then they find him in the nest, alive and surrounded by the corpses of Grimm he just killed.
Jaune: What the hell took you guys so long?
- Agent Lapis from the Protectors of the Plot Continuum is fully aware that her first response to just about anything is to panic, which usually manifests as screaming in terror and diving for the nearest hiding place, and frequently believes in the worst-case scenario as far as the Duty is concerned. But as one unfortunate God-Mode Stu found out the hard way, if you hurt anybody she holds dear - or even anybody whom she merely works with - she will END you.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- A major characteristic of the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz is cowardice. This doesn't prevent him from joining Scarecrow and Tin Man to rescue Dorothy when she's captured by the Wicked Witch of the West.
Cowardly Lion: All right, I'll go in there for Dorothy. Wicked Witch or no Wicked Witch, guards or no guards, I'll tear them apart! I may not come out alive, but I'm going in there! There's only one thing I want you fellows to do.
Tin Man and Scarecrow: What's that?
Cowardly Lion: Talk me out of it!
- Albert Lory from This Land Is Mine lives in an unnamed country under Nazi occupation and, literally, runs home to his aged mother any time there is an allied air strike. He eventually makes a Heroic Sacrifice because he's more terrified of seeing his friends picked off one by one than actually dying.
- In King Kong (2005), Bruce Baxter abandons the rescue mission, claiming that they're going to die and all but calling himself a coward. This doesn't prevent him from returning Just in Time to rescue the rescuers, in a Big Damn Heroes moment that would give Han Solo a run for his money.
- Bob from Drugstore Cowboy is pretty open about his neurosis and his reliance on drugs to keep the stresses of world away from him. The people around him are still awed by the acts of Magnificent Bastardry he performs out of sheer panic.
- Malak in Conan the Destroyer. He's constantly suggesting that he stay behind whenever the party ventures into danger, but circumstances or his own guilt always prompt him to get involved in the heroics.
- Unlike his friends, Finn in The Force Awakens is just trying to get as far as humanly possible away from the First Order. But whenever he's actually put on the spot, after venting his dismay he doesn't hesitate to kick ass to help them out.
- World Wrestling League reporter Stefano tends to shy away from wrestlers at the slightest hint they might get physical with him, panics when they start to approach him without warning even when it often turns out they don't have hostile intentions and makes no effort to fight back when attacked. This all obscures the fact that he is competent in the ring, having a successful career in IWA Puerto Rico and in fact became on third of the promotions first Trio title holders with Noel Rodriguez and Dennis Rivera, two of the wrestlers he was unreasonably afraid of.
- Ricardo Rodriguez in WWE. Those familiar with even his developmental FCW time would know he was a pretty good wrestler but on the main roster, his dirty cowardice and submission to Alberto Del Rio made him a Very Punchable Man. When forced to wrestle The Big Show though, he did a fairly good job in spite of the size differential being far against him.
- Veda Scott was initially known as a lawyer and reporter for Ring of Honor who was also on the bottom of SHIMMER's totem pole, tending to cower near its established contenders. After she was kidnapped by SCUM though she joined the rest of the ROH locker roomed in clearing them out of Supercard Of Honor VII.