Western Animation / Barbie: Mariposa
is a side-story
to the Barbie Fairytopia
Mariposa is a beautiful butterfly fairy who loves to read and dream about the world outside her home in the land of Flutterfield. Flutterfield is protected by the Queen's glimmering magical lights, but when the Queen is poisoned by the evil fairy Henna, the special lights begin to go out one by one.
It's up to the brave Mariposa and her friends to journey beyond the safe borders of the city in search of a hidden antidote that will save the Queen, before time runs out for everyone.
A second Mariposa movie, Barbie: Mariposa and the Fairy Princess
, was released in 2013.
This movie contains examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Rayna and Rayla, who constantly demand Mariposa do their hair and dresses, send Willa off to get thistleburst which grows only in a stinky swamp, and obsess over looks and marrying the prince. They grow selfless through the course of the adventure.
- Always Chaotic Evil: The Skeezites, a race of hideous, grotesque flying monsters which prey on butterfly fairies.
- Ambition Is Evil: Henna poisons the Queen because she wants to be Queen instead of the Queen's attendant.
- Badass Bystander: A pink Flutterpixie helps Mariposa recover the antidote from Henna. She isn't named, but it's her contribution to the fight that helps save the Queen.
- Be Yourself: The Aesop is "the most beautiful thing you can be is yourself".
- Big Bad Friend: Henna, who poisons the Queen, seems to be a good friend with some of the other butterfly fairies.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Henna seems to be just another sweet and harmless butterfly fairy, but she's the one who poisons the Queen and puts Flutterfield in danger of being invaded by Skeezites.
- Blinded by the Light: The Skeezites can't invade Flutterfield because they can't stand Marabella's lights.
- Bookworm: Mariposa and Prince Carlos like reading.
- Chekhov's Skill: Mariposa reading the stars turns out to be important in the climax, where she has to pick the star that holds the antidote.
- City in a Bottle: Flutterfield's residents are too scared to leave because of the Skeezites, and are happy to forget the world outside.
- Cowardly Lion: Willa may hate going into danger, but she will if it's to protect the kingdom, and she always comes through when it counts.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Henna, who continuously poisons the Queen, gloats only when she thinks she's alone, manipulates Lord Gastrous into doing her bidding by giving bad advice, tries to stall Mariposa from healing Marabella, controls the Skeezites so they won't eat her, stops at the beginning of a Motive Rant when she sees Mariposa has the antidote, and manages to steal back the antidote from Mariposa, then destroys it. She's only defeated by a margin of two seconds.
- Deflector Shield: The Queen's lights, which protect the fairies from the vicious Skeezites.
- Dwindling Party: Happens in the Cave of Reflection, as one person must stay behind as they travel until only one is left to complete the test.
- Eat the Camera: The Skeezites do this frequently when chasing the fairies, as does the Sea Beast.
- Evil Chancellor: Henna, the Queen's attendant, poisons her to try to become Queen herself.
- The Fair Folk: The Cave Fairy has shades of this, as she tasks Mariposa with selecting one star out of hundreds and says she'll meet up with her friends if she succeeds.
- The Final Temptation: Henna asks Mariposa to join her, since she's never fit in with the others. Henna goes on to say that everyone would have to adore and love her.
- Find the Cure: Mariposa, Rayna, and Rayla journey to find the cure for the Queen.
- Fish out of Water: Mariposa likes reading, stargazing, and exploring outside of Flutterfield, unlike everyone else in the city.
- Fisher King: The status of the lights guarding Flutterfield depends on the Queen's health.
- For Your Own Good: Prince Carlos is locked in the castle for his own protection after the Queen is poisoned.
- Framing Device: Elina, from Fairytopia, is telling Bibble a story so he can be brave.
- Friendship Moment: Mariposa, Rayna, and Rayla have these moments after their encounter with the mermaids.
- Genki Girl: Willa is very excitable and always seems to be in a hurry.
- Heavy Sleeper: Mariposa, who sleeps through a party.
- The High Queen: Queen Marabella is a competent and benevolent ruler, as well as the one whose lights protect Flutterfield from the Skeezites.
- Ill Girl: Queen Marabella spends most of the movie in bed because she's been poisoned by Henna.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Mariposa likes reading about the stars and faraway places, unlike almost everyone else. As a result, she feels that she doesn't belong.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Rayna and Rayla, who start out selfish and become selfless on the course of their adventure, and are key to negotiating with a pair of mermaids.
- Just Between You and Me: Henna properly explains herself when she and Mariposa are alone.
- Karma Houdini: Henna escapes with the Skeezites after vowing revenge. That is, if you don't believe that Henna's scream means that they eat her off-screen.
- Loners Are Freaks: Henna believes this about Mariposa, who has never fit in.
- Magic Antidote: Queen Marabella is seconds from death when she smells the antidote. It suffices to make her recover completely.
- Manipulative Bitch: Henna hides the fact that she's the one who poisoned the Queen, and persuades Lord Gastrous into not looking for an antidote.
- Meaningful Name: Mariposa means "butterfly" in Spanish.
- Meet Cute: Mariposa and Prince Carlos meet this way, bumping into one another when they're both lost in the same book.
- Miles Gloriosus: Lord Gastrous. He talks of exciting battles, but according to Henna, the only thing he's ever fought over is what to have for dinner.
- Mind Control: Henna is able to control the Skeezites with a potion.
- Motive Rant: Subverted. Henna is about to explain herself to Mariposa—until she sees she has the antidote, and stops midsentence, commanding the Skeezites to eat her.
- Motor Mouth: Willa talks very fast, especially when excited—which is a lot of the time.
- Near Villain Victory: Henna comes within two seconds of killing Queen Marabella, becoming Queen herself and letting the Skeezites invade Flutterfield.
- Never Say "Die": Queen Marabella is in danger of dying throughout the movie, but they generally refer to it as her life force fading.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Lord Gastrous, though he means well. He locks Prince Carlos up for his own protection, and is eager to believe Henna's advice.
- The Only One: Prince Carlos tasks Mariposa with saving the Queen, as she's the only one besides himself who can read the map.
- Rascally Rabbit: Zinzie is introduced by bopping acorns off the fairies' heads for fun, and she enjoys tricking people for the fun of it.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Zinzie is an adorable rabbit with a pink belly and floppy ears tied in bows.
- Rule of Symbolism: The correct star that leads to the antidote is all by itself, just like Mariposa.
- Scenery Porn:
- Flutterfield is beautiful, especially when the lights are lit.
- Ditto for the underwater realm, especially the tunnel that leads to it.
- Also the Cave of Reflection and its magic walls.
- Ship Teasing: Between Mariposa and Carlos, but also Willa and Carlos; both parties get scenes alone to themselves, where they bond.
- Similar Squad: The two mermaids are similar to Rayna and Rayla, who even point this out.
- The Stoic: The fairy in the Cave of Reflection is stoic and to the point.
- Suicidal Gotcha: Henna does this, leaping off the castle balcony only to rise up on the back of a Skeezite and commanding an army of them.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Rayna and Rayla, who want to marry the Prince and think his being locked away is romantic.
- The Trickster: Zinzie thinks tricking people is funny, and she's introduced by throwing acorns at the fairies to get them angry at each other.
- Unfortunate Names: Poor Lord Gastrous was named after his ample stomach.
- Valley Girl: The mermaids are obsessed with fashion and completely ignore Mariposa's attempts to ask them about the antidote. When Rayna and Rayla offer to bargain with them by giving them rare combs, they're much more interested.
- Vile Villain, Saccharine Show: Surprisingly, Henna fits this. She poisons the Queen, then talks to the Skeezites and agrees to let them eat as many fairies as they want on the condition that she be allowed to stay ruler. She also manipulates Mariposa and almost everyone else.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Henna isn't suspected at all until Prince Carlos tells everyone the truth.
- We Can Rule Together: At the climax, Henna tells Mariposa that they can rule Flutterfield together.
- What You Are in the Dark: The Cave of Reflection scene plays like this; Rayna could go on instead of Mariposa, but chooses to let her go ahead.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Rayna and Rayla are convinced Prince Carlos will love them based on looks.