Western Animation: Barbie Fairytopia
features Elina, a fairy who gets picked on by other fairies because she is the only fairy who doesn't have wings. When an evil fairy called Laverna starts capturing the seven guardian fairies in Fairytopia, and releases a disease that affects creatures with wings, Elina decides to go find Azura, one of the guardian fairies who has not yet been captured. Along with her pet fluffball Bibble she goes on a journey to save Fairytopia.
The first sequel, Barbie Fairytopia: Mermaidia
, takes place shortly after the events of the first movie, where Elina, who now has wings discovers that Nalu, the merman prince she met in the first movie has been captured by Laverna's henchmen because he knows the location of a berry that grants whoever eats it immunity to all magic. Teaming up with Nori, a mermaid who has a crush on Nalu, she goes on another journey to save her friend and once again save Fairytopia from Laverna.
In the second sequel, Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow
, the guardian fairies have been told to find apprentices, and the guardian fairy Azura asks Elina to be her apprentice. Elina goes to the Crystal Palace where she, and six other fairies will be taught the flight of spring. However, Laverna is still seeking revenge...
The trilogy has a side-story
in the form of Barbie Mariposa
. A second Mariposa movie, Barbie Mariposa And The Fairy Princess
, was released in 2013.
Tropes present in this work include:
- All Myths Are True: Elina and her friends think Laverna is a myth, but she's real.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Pixies tease Elina about being wingless.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: In Mermaidia, the Fungi threaten to poison all of Mermaidia if Nalu doesn't help them find the immunity berry.
- Anti-Magic: In Magic of the Rainbow, Laverna creates a chamber where magic won't work and orders the Enchantress inside.
- Ascended Extra:
- Prince Nalu has a small part in the first movie, but he has a much bigger role in the sequel.
- All the guardians also get this in Magic Of The Rainbow.
- Badass Adorable: Hugh the butterfly is one of the toughest characters in the series.
- Baleful Polymorph: After eating a "true self" berry (thinking it was the immunity berry) at the end of the second movie, Laverna is turned into a toad.
- Big Bad: Laverna, unique in that she retains this position across all three movies.
- Chekhov's Gun: When Elina and Nori get to an underwater cave full of different berries while looking for the immunity berry, one of the berries there is a berry that reveals a person's true self, which also happens to look somewhat similar to the immunity berry. Elina later tricks Laverna's henchmen by hiding the immunity berry somewhere while giving them one of the "true self" berries. Also, the "true self" berry helps Elina turn back into a fairy after she gets stuck in mermaid form.
- Chekhov's Skill: Elina's pretty good at pitching, isn't she? She later throws Azura's necklace at the gem in Laverna's power-stripping device, breaking it.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Elina has this. It gets deconstructed in the third movie, where her willingness to do everything alone has her making several mistakes that nearly doom Fairytopia.
- Constructed World: Having three movies to tell its stories, the series has a decent amount of worldbuilding.
- Deadly Fireworks Display: Laverna is defeated this way in the first movie.
- Defector from Decadence: Dahlia, who used to work for Laverna and quit once she learned she was evil.
- Disability Superpower: Being wingless turns out to Elina's advantage as Laverna's poison affects flight. Since she can't fly, she is unaffected. And since she's had to walk everywhere anyway she can still travel long distances, unlike the other fairies who have relied on their wings and aren't used to walking.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Max in the second movie, as Laverna can't leave the bogs.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Elina gets this from Nori in the second movie and most of the Guardian apprentices in the third movie.
- Establishing Character Moment: Linden is first seen helping a Tumby out.
- The other apprentices all get one as well.
- Everyone Can See It: Played with. Bibble teases Elina about Nalu in the first movie, and in the second movie Nori thinks Elina and Nalu are together...but Elina and Nalu really don't have romantic feelings for each other and Nalu actually likes Nori.
- Evil Brit: Fungus Maximus.
- Evil Plan: Laverna has one in all three movies; her ultimate goal is ruling Fairytopia.
- Famed In-Story: Elina, by the third movie.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: One of the firebirds chasing Elina and Hugh crashes into a cliff wall and explodes, scattering feathers and magic dust everywhere.
- Foreshadowing: Early in the third movie, Elina meets Lumina, one of the other apprentices. Lumina has the ability to see into the future, and warns Elina that she will make a big mistake that could potentially put all of Fairytopia in danger. Later in the movie, Elina accidentally restores Laverna to her true form.
- Giant Flyer: Hugh the butterfly, and the firebirds.
- The High Queen: The Enchantress.
- Holding Hands: In Mermaidia, Nalu reveals his feelings for Nori by grabbing for her hand, which catches her by surprise since she thought he liked Elina.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: Happens in the second movie, where Fungus threatens to poison Mermaidia if they don't hand over the berry.
- I Never Said It Was Poison: Laverna's deception in the third movie is unraveled when she says the toad limped, something Sunburst wouldn't know.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sunburst and Shimmer.
- Kill and Replace: In the third movie, Laverna captures Sunburst and takes her place.
- The Last Temptation: The first movie has Laverna's promise to give Elina wings.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The second and third movies reveal that Elina gets her wings.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: In the first movie, Elina tells Bibble to stay behind with Hugh while she finds Dahlia alone. Surprisingly, nothing bad happens... until she does it again by going to face Laverna alone.
- The Main Characters Do Everything: Elina does almost everything by herself in the first two movies; this is lampshaded by Dandelion in the third and ultimately subverted, as the fairies must work together to defeat Laverna.
- Meganekko: Laverna does this briefly while explaining her plan. The glasses are pretty fetching.
- Mr. Fanservice: Nalu and Faban.
- Never Say "Die": Averted in the third movie, where Laverna tells Elina she signed Fairytopia's death warrant.
- Also averted in the second one, where Nalu will die if he's above water too long.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: In the third movie, Laverna shows up in her toad form, claiming that she was injured by an evil fairy. Not realizing that it is actually Laverna, Elina tries using a spell that Azura used earlier in the movie to heal the toad, and ends up restoring Laverna to her true form.
- Not So Different: Laverna claims she and Elina are alike in the first movie, using this to try and win her over.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: In the third movie, Laverna turns Max into a duplicate of her toad self. This actually comes in handy for him, as he uses toad venom to poison the Guardian Fairies.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Elina realizes Sunburst isn't herself because she was acting nice to her.
- Our Fairies Are Different
- Pimped-Out Dress: The fairies wear flower themed dresses.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Elina.
- Plot Hole: In the second film, Nori and Elina have to choose between two paths, up or down, to find Prince Nalu. Elina wants to go up because Nalu appeared to be out of the water. Nori says that she recognized the location - it's simply an extremely brightly-lit area under the water. So they go Nori's route, which turns out to be correct... however, it's above-water, just like Elina said.
- Rainbow Motif: The seven guardians are the seven rainbow colors, Elina has the rainbow in her eyes, and in the third movie she gains beautiful rainbow wings.
- Scenery Porn: All three movies are gorgeous.
- Self-Deprecation: Elina does this in the first movie due to not having wings.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: In the second movie, Elina is told that she needs to trade her wings for a mermaid tail if she wants to be strong enough to swim through some currents, but Elina doesn't want to give up her wings as she hasn't had them for long. She is given a necklace that can allow her to become a mermaid, but if she doesn't make it out of the water before the magic in the necklace runs out, she will be stuck in mermaid form forever.
- Shifting Sand Land: Laverna's lair is in a desert.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: Bibble is captured before the most serious scene of the first movie.
- Sickly Green Glow: Laverna's magic is this color, as are the wings she creates for Elina.
- Speaking Simlish: Bibble and other puffballs speak in a strange language.
- Vocal Dissonance: Hugh the butterfly has a deep voice.
- We Can Rule Together: Near the end of the first movie, Laverna tries to get Elina on her side by hypnotizing her and offering to give her wings if Elina puts Azura's necklace back around Azura's neck so she can obtain the powers of all the guardian fairies. Luckily, Azura manages to help Elina snap out of it and shortly afterward, Elina realizes the location of the weak point on the magical crystal Laverna is using to drain the guardian fairies of their powers.