open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In Strike Witches, Season 2 starts off with Yoshika encountering an injured bear cub. While attempting to heal the cub, the mother shows up, not too happy. Fortunately, Yoshika is able to keep her cool long enough to save the cub, at which point the mother picks up the cub and wanders off. Yoshika promptly freaks out once the danger is gone.
- In The Tale of Princess Kaguya the title character as a toddler encounters a litter of wild boar piglets in the forest, and starts playing with them, then the mother sow appears and attempts to gore her, luckily she is saved by Sutemaru.
- The Emergency! fic "Closer Than a Brother" has this. Roy and John go camping with Roy's kids, and the boy, Chris, comes upon a bear cub. John takes the full attack to protect Him.
- The series this is part of (though you needn't read the rest to enjoy this one) has a human version. Even Roy's young son picks up on that Roy loves ajohn as a surrogate son, and several times, Roy even gets physical protecting John, who struggles with emotional issues and Asperger's in the series.
Films — Animated
- In Alpha and Omega, Humphrey plays with a bear cub and accidentally makes it cry. The cub's mama and two of her friends come along to make Humphrey pay for it.
- In Finding Nemo, when Marlin slaps away a baby jellyfish with his tail after it stings Dory, the swarm of adult jellyfish immediately start swimming toward them.
- In Pinocchio, Jiminy is being hassled by a little fish while in the ocean floor. He starts to shoo it away when its rather annoyed-looking mother appears. Fortunately, she and her baby are scared away when he mentions Monstro the whale.
- The Goose that lays the Golden Eggs in Puss in Boots turns out to be the gosling of a very large goose. It's Humpty Dumpty's plan to let Mama thrash the town while he absconds with the baby and the eggs.
- In Disney's Tarzan Jane encounters a cute little baby baboon which steals her journal. After Jane steals it back, the baby baboon starts crying calling the attention of its mother and the rest of its family.
Jane: Oh, come now. Enough of those crocodile tears! What would your parents have to say?(turns around to see a massive pack of angry baboons)
- This happens in Brother Bear 2...with a brother instead of a mother. When Koda gets chased up a tree, it only takes a roar from Kenai to realize that he's here to save Koda.
Films — Live-Action
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park: As soon as the baby T. rex was taken inside the trailer, it was inevitable that Mommy T. rex was going to come after it. And worse, Daddy T. rex was there, too.
- In Old Yeller it's a literal mama bear, when Arliss is playing around trying to catch the bear cub. Additionally, when Travis get's too close to Rose's newborn Calf to take them home, she immediately tries to gore him.
- An interesting case occurs in Aliens. When the coloniel marines are in the alien nest, the xenomorphs don't attack until a chestburster is torched.
- Apocalypto: While fleeing from his pursuers, Jaguar Paw climbs up a tree only to find a mewing jaguar cub. Realizing this is bad news, he turns around to see its very ticked off mother. He immediately leaps from the tree, now having to flee the jaguar too. Luckily for him, the jaguar intercepts the other chase and mistakes one of the pursuers for him. It kills one and slows down the others, buying time for Jaguar Paw to escape.
- An interesting variation is presented in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. The G-Force find what they initially believe to be a pteranodon egg when the giant mutant pteranodon Rodan attacks them; they're able to escape only when Godzilla shows up to attack Rodan. Then the egg hatches and produces a baby Godzillasaurus, which they speculate was a sort of parasite egg that had been sneaked into the Rodan nest; Rodan was defending it because it was basically his surrogate brother, while Godzilla was seeking to retrieve a fellow Godzillasaurus. Godzilla and Rodan team up to defeat Mechagodzilla and retrieve Godzilla Jr.; by the end of the film, Godzilla has adopted the infant.
- In The Revenant, Hugh Glass is out in the woods when he hears an ominous shuffling from the undergrowth. He raises his rifle, aims carefully... and two adorable bear cubs lumber out. Being very genre savvy, Glass immediately starts looking for their mother. He's too late to avoid a brutal mauling.
- In "The Bunyip" a young Australian aborigine catches the Bunyip's cub while fishing with some friends and refuses to return it. As punishment he and the rest of his village are turned into black swans.
Live Action TV
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The crew watch Catching Trouble, in which outdoorsman Ross Allen captures wild animals for zoos. When Ross begins harassing some bear cubs, Joel and the 'bots begin wishing that mama bear would show up and attack.
- In Sons Of Guns, Will tells Vince a story about going on a hiking trip, finding wild dog puppies, only to have Daddy come charging out of the bushes ready to attack his daughter.
- On the April 9 2014 episode of 'Conan', Conan O'Brien showed off an MTV Movie Award trophy to promote the MTV Movie Awards airing the upcoming Sunday night- with him as host. When Sidekick Andy Richter grabs the trophy from Conan and starts playing with it, Conan warns Andy about upsetting his mother, and a human size MTV Movie Award (clearly someone in costume) arrives with a baseball bat.
- Nightfall Series: Myra has grown up in hiding and has hardly ever been outside. She's overjoyed when she sees a cute, cuddly, fluffy animal. Unfortunately, it's a bear cub and the mother is coming.
- Happens in War of the Spider Queen series. The characters find a cute creature, which turns out to be a cub of a giant forest sloth. Drow being drow, they assume that it must be a predator using its cute young as bait...
- In White Fang, the titular wolf tries this when surrounded by humans for the first time. It backfires.
- It goes all over the place when White Fang catches a baby weasel. When he hurts it, the mother weasel comes out and catches the pup on the neck, trying to kill him. His yelps cause Kiche to come over and kill the weasel.
- Mike has this kind of encounter with a giant crocodile in Dinoverse, when he tries fishing in a pool full of baby crocodiles. She catches him in her jaws and signals that if he stops trying to fight she'll let him go, and she does so.
- Dungeons & Dragons module G1-3 Against the Giants. In the "Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl" section (but not the original module) there's a picture of two adventurers with a polar bear cub. The male adventurer is looking at the cub, while the female adventurer is looking over her shoulder at the enraged female polar bear behind them.
- In Final Fantasy VII, examining a bird's nest nets a bunch of Phoenix Down, but also cues an encounter with a bird enemy - presumably the mother of the nesting eggs.
- In Dino Crisis 2, Dylan and Regina happen on a nest of dead baby Triceratops at the same time the parents return to find their offspring had been killed, and they think you did it. Cue the miniboss battle.
- When attacked, the little Bulbords in the Pikmin games may cry loud enough to awaken any nearby big Bulborbs.
- In Star Fox Adventures, Fox finds a baby Lightfoot, and stops to talk to it. Tricky is uncomfortable with the situation, and with good reason: Fox is immediately pounced by several Lightfoot, though not for being near a Lightfoot baby. They're more concerned with accusing him of stealing the Fire Gem a Lightfoot tossed him to avoid being shot at. The baby was bait.
- In Kingdom of Loathing, part of the Seal Clubber's Nemesis side-quest involves beating up baby hell-seals in order to bait the mother hellseals into coming out, so you can collect parts from the mothers to make a disguise.
- In Fallout 4, the mission "Taking Independence" has you clear out a Mirelurk nest in The Castle, which draws the attention of the Mirelurk Queen. During the sidequest "The Devil's Due", you find a group of dead Gunners in the Museum of Witchcraft who were chased down and killed by a Deathclaw after they took a clutch of eggs from its nest in Lynn Woods.
- In Mother3, at the end of Chapter 3, Yokuba* and the Pigmasks have Salsa, Kumatora, and Wess cornered, when Lucas and the baby Drago (whose father had been turned into a chimera) show up. Yokuba is ready to crush the little guys...until the baby cries out and Mama Drago charges in to save the day.
- DuckTales: In "Back Out in the Outback", Webby picks up a baby warthog and finds herself chased by its parents.
- In the Avatar: The Last Airbender episode "Bitter Work", Sokka finds a baby saber-toothed moose-lion cub, and inevitably its mama is near, and has to be fought off by Aang. Pictured above.
- One episode of The Wuzzles involves a baby brahma bullfinch, an adorable little cow-bird creature whose mother happens to be a house-sized engine of destruction. An entire flock of them descends on Croc's house by the end of the episode, with predictable results.
- In one of the Adventures in Odyssey videos, Dylan, Jessie, and Carter find a bear cub in the mountains and start fawning over it...only for the growling mother grizzly to charge them.
- In the second The Land Before Time, the gang of dinosaur kids find an egg and, at first thinking it to be an egg from one of their parent's nests, carry the thing home. It turns out to be a Sharptooth (or T-Rex) egg, and the group starts trying to raise 'Chomper' - needless to say, the parents come looking for him. Played with in this case, as the Mama and Daddy actually end up helping the main characters, before taking their baby home. This arguably has some Unfortunate Implications about the Aesop in this story, as the moral seems to be 'Try as you might to get along, some people are just too different.'
- The Mickey Mouse short The Little Whirlwind features Mickey being hassled by a tornado about his size while trying to do yardwork for Minnie. Soon after losing his temper and giving chase, it starts whistling for help, and a gigantic tornado appears and destroys everything.
- The Wild Thornberrys had an episode with a visiting rock star wanting to film himself feeding a bear cub. Eliza tries to warn him of this trope, but he refuses to listen which of course brings out an angry mother bear attacking the kids.
- In the Donald Duck cartoon "Don's Fountain of Youth", Donald uses a crocodile egg to fool his nephews into thinking he was regressed back to egg state. He laughs at the joke in hiding...right next to the egg's mother. Later the eggs hatch and think Donald is their mother, much to the anger of croco-mommy.
- The 1930 Bosko, The Talk-Ink Kid cartoon "Congo Jazz" has Bosko encountering a baby monkey with a long tail. While petting the baby, it angrily spits at him. Bosko in reprisal gives the monkey a spanking but stops when its father shows up, depicted as a giant tailless ape.
- In one episode of Western Animation/Arthur, Binky has a dream where he is on a mountain of burgers. He picks one up to eat it, only for it to scream out for its mother, who is a giant burger wearing Dame Edna glasses, causing Binky to flee.