Adventures in Odyssey
is a set of religious videos spun off
from the radio series of the same name
. The story concerns the adventures of a Quirky Town
called Odyssey and her citizens as they learn religious Aesops. Although it shares the name and some of the characters, the show deviates from the radio program at some points.
- John Avery Whittaker: the Cool Old Guy who runs "Whit's End", a hotel and ice cream parlor for the town. Being Older and Wiser, he often finds himself having to teach the other characters.
- Eugene Meltsner: Whit's geeky teenage assistant. He is more mature than some of the others but still occasionally needs to learn a lesson.
- Connie Kendall: Whit's other occasional assistant, a teenage girl.
- Dylan Taylor: A preteen boy. Dylan is frequently the target of An Aesop.
This series contains examples of the following tropes:
- Brainy Baby: "Baby Daze" involves Eugene finding a genius baby and wanting to study him for an A.I. he had been building. It turns out that the Big Bad also wants to study him.
- Chase Scene: In "A Stranger Among Us", Eugene chases the supposed bad guy's car on a skateboard.
- The Diaper Change: Eugene freaks out at this. Connie ends up doing it.
- Doorstop Baby: In "Baby Daze", Eugene finds a baby on the door. He was put their by a cohort of the Big Bad after she started having pangs of conscience.
- Expy: Dylan and his friend Sal are fans of a show that very much resembles Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Good Is Old-Fashioned: In "Baby Daze", the Big Bad calls Eugene's morals "outdated."
- Fainting: In "A Stranger Among Us", Eugene passes out from shock after finding that Connie is still alive.
- I Will Find You: In "A Twist in Time", Sal and Dylan use a machine that Whit told them not to use. They seemingly find themselves in a future where they never returned and Whit exhausted himself looking for them.
- Not Now, We're Too Busy Crying Over You: In "A Stranger Among Us". Eugene, believing that Connie is dead, collapses in tears.
Connie: Actually, it's mostly my fault, Eugene.
Eugene: No, it's not, Connie, it's — huh? (He sees her, stands up, smiles from ear to ear, and faints.)
- Not What It Looks Like: Eugene and Dylan see one guest standing over the bed of another, who appears to be dead. It turns out he was slipping into a diabetic coma, and the other man was trying to wake him up.
- Papa Wolf: Eugene becomes protective of his charge during "Baby Daze" and ends up fighting to protect him from an unscrupulous scientist.
- Punk in the Trunk: In "A Stranger Among Us", Eugene and Dylan think that one of the guests kidnapped Connie and stuck her in the trunk of his car, leading Eugene to chase him on a skateboard.
- Reading Lips: During the climax of "In Harm's Way", Whit is able to get vital information to Dylan and Elliot on a runaway train because Elliot can read lips.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Eugene tends to speak in big words.
- Straying Baby: The baby crawls off while Eugene is watching him, nearly falling off a staircase.
- Tempting Fate: "What could be the least bit hard about babysitting?"
- Unflinching Walk: After Eugene's robot PLATO is unleashed on the bad guys, he walks away, paying no attention to the maze collapsing behind him.