Film: A Simple Wish
A 1997 Comedy film staring Martin Short and Mara Wilson.
This film provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Duane is mistakenly called Roy because he is wearing Roy's stolen T-Shirt.
- All Musicals Are Adaptations: Two Cities, a musical adaption of A Tale of Two Cities. Annabel's wish is for her dad to be cast in as the star role so that her family won't have to move to Nebraska, which is the driving point behind the whole film.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Duane, after being turned into a giant rabbi.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: However, the real problem isn't from the wish-maker, but the wish-granter.
- Butt Monkey: Murray
- Cain and Abel: Duane mentions that he shot and killed his brother, Roy, just to get a clean T-Shirt.
- Chekhov's Skill: Murray mentions early in the film that he's skilled with spells involving frogs and rain, which comes in handy when sabotaging Tony Sable's audition.
- Dark Is Evil: Claudia
- Fairy Godmothers: And a whole lot of them. Murray happens to be the only male Fairy Godmother
- Fate Worse Than Death: At the end of the movie, Claudia accidently traps herself inside her mirror... which she then proceeds to accidently break.Murray: Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Now who's the fairst of them all?Claudia: I am! I AM! Uh-oh... *mirror falls and shatters* We are! WE ARE!
- Heel-Face Turn: Boots betrays Claudia by giving Murray's wand back to it's rightful owner after relising that Claudia will never make her a partner. This, however, results in her being turned back into a dog.
- He is the Fairy Godmother
- Humanity Ensues: Claudia's Dragon, Boots, was origially a dog. She is later changed back after seeing the true colors of her master.
- Inept Mage: Murray is...not a very good fairy godmother. A lot of the problems in the film stem from his mess-ups. He gets better in the end, though.
- Involuntary Dance: Near the end of the film.
- Jerkass: Duane, all the way. We also get Tony Sable, who's jerkassness in the end costs him the lead role in the play after tripping over a bucket, courtesy of Murray.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: At one point near the end of the film, an enchantedy-boneless Murray's face collides with the camera, covering it.
- Missing Mom: All we know about Annabel and Charlie's mother is that she's deceased.
- Poke the Poodle: Claudia "tortures" Annabel and Murray by forcing them to dance like ballerinas.
- Putting a Hand over His Mouth: Boots does this to Anabel when ordered to capture Murray. Of course, they wanted to go and see Claudia, anyway.
- Taken for Granite: Murray's attempt to grant Anabel's wish at Central Park results in Oliver being turned into a statue, Duchess being turned into a mouse, and a carriage being turned into a pumpkin. They get better.
- Would Hurt a Child: Duane has no problems with attempting to shoot Annabel or crush her after a transformation backfire.
- Younger Than They Look: Boots