From an adorable child actress, to a witty writer and storyteller.note
Mara Wilson (born in 1987) was a child actress
who was in several films in The Nineties
(best known as the title character in the feature film adaptation of Roald Dahl's Matilda
), but decided to leave when she realized "film acting is not very fun", in her own words.
She still works in entertainment, but as a playwright after graduating from NYU. She also writes a blog, "Mara Wilson Writes Stuff
", to which she often posts humorous stories and the like. Her Twitter feed
is similarly humorous. She's also written
She has also done guest spots on That Guy with the Glasses
, revealing that she has unholy powers that she will use to punish those who blindly mock her. According to Linkara
, she obtained these powers from God
She also has a recurring role on Welcome to Night Vale
as The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home.
Evidently, she's well aware of the existence of TV Tropes
, too, mentioning Artistic License - Physics
(back when it was known as
You Fail Physics Forever) and Cloud Cuckoolander
, as well as a tendency to check this page. (Hi, Mara!)
- Adam Westing: An Inverted Trope variation. Usually, when an actor engages in this they're playing a Cloud Cuckoo Lander variation of themselves. Mara Wilson's idea (at least when it comes to Channel Awesome) of this is to WIELD UNHOLY POWERS FROM BEYOND OUR REALM!!
- Beware the Nice Ones: Her internet persona is basically this: if you don't invoke her demonic rage she is rather a nice person.
- Cerebus Retcon: According to one Cracked article, when she was younger she found herself on a foot fetish website devoted to child actresses - which she found quite funny. Years later she told a friend about it and then realised she had been on a child porn website.
- Clark Kenting: In the Nostalgia Chick's Matilda review. Disguised with her hair in a bun and a thick pair of glasses.
- Converted Fangirl: Once convinced that Doug was an asshole because of awful fans of his harassing her, now practically an honorary Channel Awesome member and good friends with both him and Lindsay.
- Deadpan Snarker: An attitude she takes in a lot of her writing.
- The Dreaded: When she shows up in Channel Awesome content, she generally appears as this.
- Former Child Star: She prefers the term "reformed drama nerd". She retired on her own, prefers her non-film jobs, and has certainly avoided a breakdown.
- Gag Boobs: See She Is All Grown Up for the details below. Even the Nostalgia Chick commented on them.
- I Am Not Spock: Apparently, people she encounters still call her Matilda, prompting her to remind them that Matilda doesn't exist.
- One of Us: On Twitter, she mentioned that she enjoys playing Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: IMDb claimed she was dead once. Mara's response was that she Came Back Wrong.
- She Is All Grown Up: She jokes about how her figure filling out from puberty tends to throw people a bit.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Her getting typecast into these kinds of roles (and consequently people tending to assume she was actually that nauseatingly precocious in real life) is what got her to quit acting.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: She expressed horror on her Twitter page when a newspaper mentioned in summer 2013 that fans of the Matilda musical (which not long before won multiple Tony awards) staged nearby in New York City would love to see Mara's play, Sheeple at a nearby venue purely based on the fact that she played Matilda Wormwood in the 1996 movie version. As she often stresses out, Sheeple is most definitely not for kids.