Gus: This whole bank idea sucks.Catch That Kid
features 12-year-old Maddy
and her two friends, Austin and Gus, robbing a high-security bank vault in order to obtain the money for a surgery her father needs. The twist? Maddy's mother designed the security systems.
This film provides examples of:
- Chekhov's Lecture: Maddy's mother tells her she thinks about her all the time. This makes Maddy realize her name is the final password.
- Chekhov's Skill: Maddy's climbing abilities.
- Child Prodigy / Preteen Genius: Gus the hacker, and Austin the mechanic.
- Dump Them All: Maddy rejects both love interests by the end of the movie.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Austin, rigging his go-karts with caltrops, turbo boosters, and more.
- The Heist: The entire premise of the film.
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: The security password used for her mother's security system is Madeline, Maddy's full first name.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The owner of the bank. He fires the bank's manager for having a party to celebrate the security system before it was even tested, accepted that the entire heist was a plan by Maddy's mother to show it wasn't ready, personally donated $50,000 to help the father's surgery, and assured they could agree to a loan to cover the rest of the bill.
- Teen Superspy: Three twelve year old preteens rob a high security bank.