There are many ways for a romance arc to end. Sometimes there is a normal hookup, one or both die, or the situation is left ambiguous
. There are more options involved when in a love triangle, however. For example, apart from the previous scenarios the character may pick several of their options at once
. But sometimes they go the opposite direction and reject all of their options. As such, they Dump Them All
A specific variation of Take a Third Option
. Contrast Marry Them All
and No Romantic Resolution
Beware, this is an ending trope. Unmarked spoilers ahead.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In a twist of irony, the Scheris/Mimori/Ryuhou love triangle in s-CRY-ed ends with Scheris dead and Ryuhou rejecting Mimori despite his implied attraction to her because he feels it wouldn't be right. Although he displayed no attraction to Scheris either, she died for him, and he feels Mimori might very well meet the same end if she was to get together with him now.
- By the end of The Green Hornet, Lenore is only interested in a working relationship with Britt and Kato, though both of them have been pursuing her romantically.
- The heroine of Catch That Kid rejects both of her male friends as love interests at the end of the movie.
- The 1943 version of Phantom of the Opera (1943) ends with Christine choosing neither of her love interests, Raoul and Anatole, and suggesting that the two of them become friends instead.
- Legally Blonde: Inverted for Warner, where both Elle and Vivian dump him.
- Shes Gotta Have It ends with the protagonist dumping all three of the men she's sleeping with and deciding to be "celibate" for a while.
Live Action TV
- One episode of Frasier ends with Niles getting a divorce from his wife, and Frasier and Martin both having broke up with their respective girlfriends. The three Cranes take this as an opportunity to drink, bond, and start batting again the next day.
- In the backwards episode of Seinfeld, one woman chooses this solution.
- In the original Beverly Hills 90210, this is how Kelly resolves the Dylan/Brandon love triangle. "I choose me!"
- In Full House, DJ takes this option when asked to choose between Nelson and Viper, reasoning that if she were really into either of them then she wouldn't have any trouble deciding who to be with.
- In the finale to the first season of Community, Jeff is torn between Brita and Prof. Slater. He essentially chooses this option when he decides to leave as opposed to making any decisions. He briefly dates to Brita in the premiere of season two but only so that people would stop hounding him about it. The "relationship" is over quickly, though.
- The finale of True Blood season four is a good example: Sookie turns down all three of her love interests. In the case of Bill and Eric, it's a classic "I'm not picking either of you" ending to a Love Triangle. Alcide gets a gentler "sorry, but I don't feel that way about you" rejection.
- George Bernard Shaw's play Mrs. Warren's Profession ends with Vivie turning down proposals from both her suitors. She chooses to devote her life to her career rather than marry.
- In Catherine should you decide to go the Freedom route, that is answering questions and texts which keep your Karma Meter neutral as well as providing certain responses to some of the final questions can have the game end with different variations on this. Interestingly enough, it is one of the three Golden Endings which the game possesses.
- Implied by necessity to start Chitose's route in Galaxy Angel: Moonlit Lovers. Much like the beginning of the first game, the story picks up where Tact was chilling with Lester. While this is treated innocently enough with no presumptions, the only way to get there in the first game is to horrifically screw the Last-Second Ending Choice with the chosen girl, leaving you with a painful breakup after spending the entire game trusting each other. As it is treated as a Bad End, this is only a partial example.
- In Beyond: Two Souls among your final options if you choose to return to the living world is to select one of your surviving love interests. There is however the option to choose no love interest and live in solitude.