Melanie Elizabeth Bownds (born March 2, 1980), known professionally as Rebel Wilson, is an Australian actress, writer, entrepreneur, and stand-up comedian. She began appearing as Toula in the SBS comedy series Pizza from 2003 and sketch comedy series The Wedge. In 2008, she wrote, produced and starred in the musical comedy series Bogan Pride. The following year, she won the Tropfest Best Actress award for her role in Bargain and made a guest appearance in City Homicide. Shortly after moving to the United States, Wilson was cast as Brynn in the feature film Bridesmaids.She also appeared in A Few Best Men, What to Expect When You're Expecting and Struck By Lightning. Wilson also appeared as Becky in Bachelorette and starred in musical-comedy Pitch Perfect, where her role as Fat Amy earned her several award nominations. She also created and starred in Super Fun Night on the ABC network for one season.
Tropes associated with her work:
- Big Fun: Almost all her roles are Genki Girls.
- Funny Foreigner: She commonly plays an Australian.
- Pungeon Master: Most of her characters tend to revolve around telling jokes and puns.
- Stage Name: Her real name is Melanie Elizabeth Bownds. She later changed her name to Rebel Melanie Elizabeth Wilson.
- Two First Names: While rarely used, her stage first name can be used as a given name. Her stage last name on the other hand is a more traditional given name.