Broad City is a half-hour comedy television series airing on Comedy Central.Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer, the creators and stars, began producing Broad City as a webseries on Youtube in 2009 and continued until 2011. The webseries consisted of two seasons, with the second receiving a noticeable increase in budget. The episodes began short (between 1 and 3 minutes) and increased in length in the second season. While the first season had short episodes focusing on humorous interactions between Abbi and Ilana, the second season is built on tastefully edited vignettes woven around short comedic sequences and an exploration of Abbi and Ilana's relationship. The second season also boasts appearances from many mainstream and established comedians, including Amy Poehler, who would later executive produce the television version on Comedy Central.
Broad City provides examples of:
open/close all folders
TV Series (2014- )
- Ambiguously Brown: Ilana.
- Binge Montage: "P*$$Y Weed" features one of Abbi smoking pot in a dentist's office bathroom.
- Bi the Way: Ilana constantly tries to get Abbi to have a threesome with her among other things, an idea Abbi is against and barely tolerates.
- In an episode that reveals that Abbi has made out with a girl before, Ilana. Freaks. The. Fuck. Out. Then spends the rest of the episode acting like Abbi cheated on her.
- Bland-Name Product: Abbi works at Soulstice, a parody of the New York-based and extremely yuppy-friendly SoulCycle gym chain.
- Ilana's place of 'work', Deals Deals Deals, is based on a similar company called Lifebooker that Abbi, Ilana, and writer/director Lucia Aniello used to work at.
- Brother-Sister Incest: In "Destination: Wedding", Morgan and her brother Mitchell are (at the very least) bathing together and likely having sex with each other.
- Buses Are for Freaks: The Sei Wah bus in "Destination: Wedding".
- Casual Kink: When Jeremy and Abbi hook up, he nonchalantly throws Abbi a strap-on. It turns out he has a thing for "pegging."
- Catch Phrase: In Season 2, 'Yas kween' or Ilana calling Abbi 'queen' as a term of affection.
- Celebrity Lie: Abbi frequently makes excuses for why she doesn't train clients during the day (or at all) by saying that she trains celebrity clients at night, most often Shania Twain.
- Celebrity Resemblance: In "Destination: Wedding", Lincoln is said to resemble Idris Elba.
- Chekhov's Gun: In the episode "P*$$Y Weed", Abbi is disgusted when she finds out where Ilana stashes her weed. At the end of the episode, Abbi has to use the same method to get past the cops in the subway.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Both Ilana and her mother believe that Little Richard was a bisexual alien and Jay-Z and Beyoncé are in The Illuminati.
- Continuity Nod: In "The Last Supper", Abbi mentions 'boring Ben', who she slept with in "Stolen Phone".
- The White Power dress that gets stained, stays stained.
- Dwindling Party: In one episode, Abbi, Ilana, and four others set out to a wedding. Over the course of the episodes' hijinks, they're separated, one by one, to just Abbi and Ilana. None make it to the wedding.
- Foreshadowing: In the first episode of season 2 a random old lady calls Abbi 'Val'. Then, in episode 5 we find out that Abbi has a secret jazz-singing alternate persona, Val.
- The Ghost: Abbi has a female roommate who never actually appears, and seems to be out whenever Abbi is home. She does appear in a few photos when Ilana and Lincoln sneak into her room on one occasion, but even then, her face is obscured.
- Hypocritical Humor: Abbi calls an old college buddy in order to buy pot, only for the woman to disapprovingly saying "Oh, Abbi, you still smoke pot?" Cut to the woman popping a bottle of prescription pills and taking a sip of wine.
- Identical Stranger: Adele, who is played by Alia Shawkat, looks almost exactly like Ilana and happens to have the same erogenous zones as her. However, Ilana at first didn't realize that they looked alike.
- The Illegal: A somewhat atypical example in Jaimé, a Venezuelan who deals drugs but constantly agonizes about imagined offenses against his friends.
- Informed Judaism: Abbi and Ilana are both (as in real life) Jewish but not much is made of it usually.
- Insistent Terminology: Bevers constantly calls himself Abbi's roommate, to which Abbi responds that he is not her roommate, he is her roommate's boyfriend.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to the web series. For example, Ilana's bisexual urges toward Abbi are generally only played for comedy, whereas things would get extremely awkward or Abbi would get genuinely angry most of the time in the web series. Abbi is also much more sympathetic in the TV series, while in the web series she was only slightly less of a jerk than Ilana.
- Literally Loving Thy Neighbor: Abbi is completely enamored with her neighbor Jeremy, but he doesn't seem to think of her as anything more than a neighbor. However, in Season 2, Jeremy agrees to go on a date with her. Things get a little crazier than Abbi anticipates.
- Marijuana Is LSD: Abbi's breakdown in "P*$$Y Weed" is probably atypical of marijuana consumption.
- Man Child: Abbi's "roommate", Bevers, is this mixed with elements of the Fat Slob, while his older sister is even worse. Ilana can count as a female version of this.
- Mistaken for Gay / Romance: Happens to them somewhat frequently, though more in the web series. As mentioned above, Ilana isn't as averse to the idea.
- Mistaken for Racist: In "Apartment Hunters" Abbi goes with Lincoln to find a new apartment and finds what seems to be the perfect place with an interracial (black and Indian) couple. She then points out the commercial that her art was used in, only for all of them to see that it's for a racist dating site.
- Nice Guy: Lincoln
- Product Placement: Abbi is oddly passionate about Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Running Gag: The guys Abbi dates tend to have dicks that are way too big.
- Abbi answers her phone and talks to Ilana, usually something about the plot of the episode. In the following scene, Ilana is with someone else apologizing "Sorry, I had to take that". Then the person she's with will say "You made that call... in the middle of our conversation."
- Self Cest: This comes up in "Coat Check", with Ilana and Adele, who immediately have a deep connection with each other. They have a lot of emotional and physical chemistry with each other, but when Abbi points out that Adele looks almost exactly like her, Ilana gets freaked out and has to leave, even hallucinating that she was making out with herself.
- Split Screen: The opening sequence of "Working Girls".
- Stalker Shrine: One of Ilana's old fuck buddies has a very creepy one dedicated to her.
- Stoners Are Funny: Both Abbi and Ilana.
- Terrible Interviewees Montage: Inverted. Ilana sets out to interview some prospective interns, because she really hates working. The candidates are pretty adequate, but Ilana's questions are terrible.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: A more disgusting example where the girls hide their pot up their vaginas to avoid getting caught.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They can really get on each others nerves sometimes, but they do care about each other when it comes down to it.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Also present in the web series. Ilana is typically it, mainly because she drinks more and has a smaller frame than Abbi, so she can't hold it as well.