Toshiyuki Morikawa (January 26, 1967 - ) is one of the seiyuus who has been around since the old days, and currently still lends his voice to the job. He has quite a huge fanbase too (due in part to being one of the more attractive seiyuu around). He is also the current voice of Sephiroth
and attended the same voice acting class with Kotono Mitsuishi
. His voice range is versatile, ranging from calm and cool characters
young men to psychopathically cold villains. From badass
, he does them all just fine. Regardless of morality, if the character has White Hair, Black Heart
, there's a good chance he's voicing them.Best buds
with Nobuyuki Hiyama
, went as far as spreading a "Hiyama abandoned me!" mass phone call to other collegues while drunk once (when all Hiyama did was to send this guy a 20-minute
taxi ride home by himself), he is also good friends with fellow seiyuu Fumihiko Tachiki
and has a lot of co-workings with Nobutoshi Canna
and Nozomu Sasaki
Tropes associated with Morikawa:
Notable roles by Toshiyuki Morikawa:
- Bashou (Hun) and Mikuri (Wallace) in Pokémon
- Mr. Chang in Black Lagoon
- Conrad Weller in Kyo Kara Maoh
- Cyclops in X-Men anime.
- Dante in Devil May Cry: The Animated Series (This is the only time Dante is voiced by a Japanese seiyu)
- Dhaos in Tales of Phantasia (Succeeding the late Kaneto Shiozawa)
- Diavolo in Jojos Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle.
- Dio in Casshern Sins
- Duke in Brave Police J-Decker
- Emmet in the Japanese dub of The LEGO Movie
- Eneru and Hatchan in One Piece
- Forbessi, the King of Demons in SHUFFLE!
- Gen'ichiro Tsukuomi in Martian Successor Nadesico, Super Robot Wars Impact and Super Robot Wars Advance Portable
- Goh in Saint Beast
- Gohyaan in Futari Wa Pretty Cure Splash Star
- Griffith in Berserk
- Heishiro Mitsurugi in SoulCalibur
- Hon Fu and Bob Wilson in the Fatal Fury franchise
- Haohmaru in Samurai Spirits: Oni
- Isshin Kurosaki, Tousen Kaname and Tsubaki in the Bleach franchise
- Katakura Kojuro in Sengoku Basara
- Katsuya Jonouchi (Joey Wheeler) in the Yu-Gi-Oh! first series anime. Succeeded by Hiroki Takahashi.
- Kei/Nate Nanjou in Persona 2 (Was also him in the Drama CD of the first game)
- Kimimaro Kaguya and Minato "the Fourth Hokage" Namikaze in Naruto
- Kubota Makoto in Wild Adapter
- Kuniharu Ogino in Cuticle Detective Inaba
- Kyousuke Iwaki in Haru wo Daiteita and Akizuki Keiichirou in Fuyu no Semi.
- Kyosuke Nanbu in, Super Robot Wars Impact, Super Robot Wars Original Generations and Super Robot Wars Original Generation Gaiden
- Leonard Scheitenberg in the infamous yaoi OVA Legend of the Blue Wolves
- Leonardo da Vinci in Assassin's Creed II
- Marco Owen in King of Thorn
- Mummymon, Yukio Oikawa, and BelialVamdemon in Digimon Adventure 02
- Naraku in the InuYasha franchise
- Optimus Prime in the Japanese dub of Transformers Prime
- Panda Mama in Shirokuma Cafe, it has to be seen to be believed.
- Radio in the Japanese dub of The Brave Little Toaster.
- Rai in the game Lamento-BEYOND THE VOID
- Ran Shuuei in Saiunkoku Monogatari. Fittingly, Nobuyuki Hiyama voices Shuuei's Heterosexual Life Partner Li Kouyuu.
- Ravage in Beast Wars
- Roberto Miura in Rival Schools
- Ryu and Charlie in the Street Fighter Alpha series and the Marvel vs. series
- Ryu Suzaku (Rick Wheeler) in F-Zero Falcon Densetsu (GP Legend)
- Ryuichiro Isaka in Junjou Romantica and Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
- Sephiroth in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Last Order: Final Fantasy VII, the Kingdom Hearts series, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Dissidia: Final Fantasy.
- Shagia Frost in Gundam X, Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden and Super Robot Wars Z
- Suitengu in Speed Grapher
- Takaya Aiba/D-Boy/Tekkaman Blade in the Tekkaman Blade franchise (Not only is this his debut role, this is also the role where he gained a lot of infamy by breaking a recording microphone on two separate occasions while screaming VOLTEKKKKKAAAAAAA!!!!!)
- Takayanagi Mitsuomi in Tenjho Tenge
- Takumi Ichinose in the anime version of Nana.
- Tatsumi Seiichirou in Yami no Matsuei
- Terrific Forelock in Lightning Legend: Daigo no Daibouken
- Wise God Torin/Kyoryu Silver and his Evil Twin in Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and appears before the camera as Torin's human disguise in #43.
- Toma in Sousei no Aquarion.
- Tyki Mikk in D.Gray-Man
- Ugo in Magi - Labyrinth of Magic
- Yukimura Sanada in Brave 10
He is also quite popular in Western-world movie-to-Japanese dubbing industry, being the dub voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor
) of Star Wars
, Ennis del Mar (Heath Ledger
) in Brokeback Mountain
, Neo (Keanu Reeves
) in The Matrix
, and Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman
) in The Hobbit
, as well as Tom Cruise
and Adam Sandler
. The Other Wiki
states that he has been the dub voice of many leading roles in Western-world movies when they are dubbed to Japan. He also has quite some role in the Western dubbing of Spider-Man
. He is the dub voice of Spidey himself in the 1994's animated series
, and in the third movie
, he is Eddie Brock/Venom (Topher Grace).
I should've filled those roles with LIIIIIIGGGHHHHTT--- *bzzt!* Aw man! That's the 100th microphone broken already!